why is firefox so &*^$#&^$^#$*&_*()&) SLOW!?!?

12

why is firefox so &*^$#&^$^#$*&_*()&) SLOW!?!?

Robert P. J. Day-2

  i am beyond frustrated with how mind-bendingly slow as a dog is
firefox on my fully-updated F26 system. eg, i go on twitter, want to
just post a tweet, sometimes takes several *seconds* just to finally
get around to responding to keyboard strokes.

  is anyone else seeing this? i am seriously ready to dump firefox
simply because it has turned into such a worthless piece of crap. what
is going on?

rday

Re: why is firefox so &*^$#&^$^#$*&_*()&) SLOW!?!?

katnip
Robert P. J. Day:

>   i am beyond frustrated with how mind-bendingly slow as a dog is
> firefox on my fully-updated F26 system. eg, i go on twitter, want to
> just post a tweet, sometimes takes several *seconds* just to finally
> get around to responding to keyboard strokes.
>
>   is anyone else seeing this? i am seriously ready to dump firefox
> simply because it has turned into such a worthless piece of crap. what
> is going on?
>
> rday

You need to try the Nightly version.

Re: why is firefox so &*^$#&^$^#$*&_*()&) SLOW!?!?

Ed Greshko
On 10/11/17 05:07, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
>   i am beyond frustrated with how mind-bendingly slow as a dog is
> firefox on my fully-updated F26 system. eg, i go on twitter, want to
> just post a tweet, sometimes takes several *seconds* just to finally
> get around to responding to keyboard strokes.
>
>   is anyone else seeing this? i am seriously ready to dump firefox
> simply because it has turned into such a worthless piece of crap. what
> is going on?

I'm not a regular firefox user.  I have it configured with a proxy and only use it
when I need that configuration.

I just started it and went to several sites that have a search bar.  Typed into each
without delay.  I only had 3 tabs open at the time.

--
Fedora Users List - The place to go to speculate endlessly

Re: why is firefox so &*^$#&^$^#$*&_*()&) SLOW!?!?

Doug

On 10/10/2017 04:15 PM, katnip wrote:

> Robert P. J. Day:
>>    i am beyond frustrated with how mind-bendingly slow as a dog is
>> firefox on my fully-updated F26 system. eg, i go on twitter, want to
>> just post a tweet, sometimes takes several *seconds* just to finally
>> get around to responding to keyboard strokes.
>>
>>    is anyone else seeing this? i am seriously ready to dump firefox
>> simply because it has turned into such a worthless piece of crap. what
>> is going on?
>>
>> rday
>>
> You need to try the Nightly version.

Re: why is firefox so &*^$#&^$^#$*&_*()&) SLOW!?!?

stan
On Tue, 10 Oct 2017 17:07:54 -0400 (EDT)
"Robert P. J. Day" <[hidden email]> wrote:

>   i am beyond frustrated with how mind-bendingly slow as a dog is
> firefox on my fully-updated F26 system. eg, i go on twitter, want to
> just post a tweet, sometimes takes several *seconds* just to finally
> get around to responding to keyboard strokes.
>
>   is anyone else seeing this? i am seriously ready to dump firefox
> simply because it has turned into such a worthless piece of crap. what
> is going on?

I'm running the latest firefox from the repositories, and I would
characterize the response as 'snappy'.

Some possibilities:

Your configuration is allowing a lot of third party communication to
slow down page loading.  Typically pages load ads before content, and
if those ads are delayed, the content looks like it is slow to
deliver.  A neat trick to use is ad nauseum instead of an ad blocker.

Your ISP is rationing bandwidth.  Do a speed test, https://fast.com/

There is a DDOS attack occurring somewhere on the path between you and
your chosen website that is slowing down your communication speed.

Re: why is firefox so &*^$#&^$^#$*&_*()&) SLOW!?!?

Doug

On 10/10/2017 05:20 PM, stan wrote:
> On Tue, 10 Oct 2017 17:07:54 -0400 (EDT)
> "Robert P. J. Day" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>>    i am beyond frustrated with how mind-bendingly slow as a dog is
>> firefox on my fully-updated F26 system. eg, i go on twitter, want to
>> just post a tweet, sometimes takes several *seconds* just to finally
>> get around to responding to keyboard strokes.
>>
>> /snip
A neat trick to use is ad nauseum instead of an ad blocker.
Where do you find ad nauseam?
(Not a Fedora user, at present.)

--doug

Re: why is firefox so &*^$#&^$^#$*&_*()&) SLOW!?!?

Tom Horsley-5
Robert P. J. Day wrote:

>   i am beyond frustrated with how mind-bendingly slow as a dog is
> firefox on my fully-updated F26 system. eg, i go on twitter, want to
> just post a tweet, sometimes takes several *seconds* just to finally
> get around to responding to keyboard strokes.
>
>   is anyone else seeing this? i am seriously ready to dump firefox
> simply because it has turned into such a worthless piece of crap. what
> is going on?

You've asked a subset of the real question: Why is every $#@!
web browser so slow?

I started using google-chrome a while back because of the
rep it had for being fast, but every single release (and
they seem to happen every few days) bogs it down more and
more.

Re: why is firefox so &*^$#&^$^#$*&_*()&) SLOW!?!?

stan
On Tue, 10 Oct 2017 17:40:33 -0500
Doug <[hidden email]> wrote:

> A neat trick to use is ad nauseum instead of an ad blocker.
> Where do you find ad nauseam?
> (Not a Fedora user, at present.)

It's a firefox plugin:

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/adnauseam/?src=search

Re: why is firefox so &*^$#&^$^#$*&_*()&) SLOW!?!?

Ed Greshko
On 10/11/17 06:47, Tom Horsley wrote:

> On Tue, 10 Oct 2017 17:07:54 -0400 (EDT)
> Robert P. J. Day wrote:
>
>>   i am beyond frustrated with how mind-bendingly slow as a dog is
>> firefox on my fully-updated F26 system. eg, i go on twitter, want to
>> just post a tweet, sometimes takes several *seconds* just to finally
>> get around to responding to keyboard strokes.
>>
>>   is anyone else seeing this? i am seriously ready to dump firefox
>> simply because it has turned into such a worthless piece of crap. what
>> is going on?
> You've asked a subset of the real question: Why is every $#@!
> web browser so slow?
>
> I started using google-chrome a while back because of the
> rep it had for being fast, but every single release (and
> they seem to happen every few days) bogs it down more and
> more.
Been using chrome for a long time now.   No slowness for me.  Except for a few
sites.  But I found it is due to one of several things for them.  For some, it is
they are just have a bad hosting platform.  For others it is that they load to much
ads and stuff from other sites.  And for a few it is due to their extensive use of
scripts.

--
Fedora Users List - The place to go to speculate endlessly

Re: why is firefox so &*^$#&^$^#$*&_*()&) SLOW!?!?

Tim-163
Allegedly, on or about 10 October 2017, Tom Horsley sent:
> I started using google-chrome a while back because of the
> rep it had for being fast, but every single release (and
> they seem to happen every few days) bogs it down more and
> more.

Just a thought:  If a browser is getting slower and slower, whether or
not you've updated it, perhaps its down to what it saves to your
system.  Ever-increasing caches, and browsing history files, give the
browser more work to do.

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -rsvp
Linux 4.13.4-200.fc26.x86_64 #1 SMP Thu Sep 28 20:46:39 UTC 2017 x86_64

Boilerplate:  All mail to my mailbox is automatically deleted.
There is no point trying to privately email me, I only get to see

Just because nobody complains, it doesn't mean that all parachutes are perfect.

Re: why is firefox so &*^$#&^$^#$*&_*()&) SLOW!?!?

jack craig-6
what about slow dns? (maybe namebench might help?)

Re: why is firefox so &*^$#&^$^#$*&_*()&) SLOW!?!?

Robert Lu
Hi, I think there is some reason:

1. your connection is very slow.
you can try to test your network speed, such as fast.com

2. your firefox have internal bug.
well, you can open developer tools, and watch the request timing tab. it can check which part of request is slow. such as DNS time, send time, wait time.

3. your firefox's UI is not reponse
You can try resize firefox window size while you wait loading. if layout is normal, the UI is OK.

All in all,
we need your more diagnostic information。

On Wed, Oct 11, 2017 at 5:07 AM, Robert P. J. Day <[hidden email]> wrote:

  i am beyond frustrated with how mind-bendingly slow as a dog is
firefox on my fully-updated F26 system. eg, i go on twitter, want to
just post a tweet, sometimes takes several *seconds* just to finally
get around to responding to keyboard strokes.

  is anyone else seeing this? i am seriously ready to dump firefox
simply because it has turned into such a worthless piece of crap. what
is going on?

rday

Are you sure it's only the browser? Was: why is firefox so &*^$#&^$^#$*&_*()&) SLOW!?!?

M. Fioretti-2
On 2017-10-10 23:07, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> i am beyond frustrated with how mind-bendingly slow as a dog is
> firefox on my fully-updated F26 system. eg, i go on twitter, want to
> just post a tweet, sometimes takes several *seconds* just to finally
> get around to responding to keyboard strokes.

Hello Robert,

I had EXACTLY, exactly the same problem on a fully updated F25 system, a
couple
of weeks ago.
Unbearable. But in my case even libreoffice and kate were very slow.

I solved the problem brilliantly by... switching (also for other
reasons)
to Ubuntu 16.04LTS. Not 100% good, but much, much, much better from the
point of view of this post.

My highly unscientific opinion is that there is something in the F25
COMBINED, default configuration of:

firefox+javascript+flash+X.org/graphic drivers+qt+whatever...

that makes everything loop, at EVERY user action, until some timeout,
somewhere
deep in the kernel, makes thing restart. Every 100 milliseconds or so.

Since I don't have, in this period, neither the skills nor, above all,
the TIME
to investigate all this, I blindly tried the dumbest, and brutest
approach, that
is change distro. It worked beautifully, so for the time being I'm just
a Fedora
observer (because I do like the distro), but not a user. Hope to come
back to Fedora someday.

What I mean to say here is that all browsers suck, and Firefox likely
sucks more
than others. But in some conditions, that is with certain combinations
of distro,
kernel, graphic drivers... it sucks immensely more than usual. I mean to
say that
maybe the question you should ask (and people with the right skills/time
should
investigate) is "why is firefox ON FEDORA so slow"?

HTH,
Marco
--
http://mfioretti.com

OT: why would AdNauseam make Firefox faster?, was: why is firefox so &*^$#&^$^#$*&_*()&) SLOW!?!?

M. Fioretti-2
On 2017-10-11 00:20, stan wrote:

> I'm running the latest firefox from the repositories, and I would
> characterize the response as 'snappy'.
>
> Some possibilities:
>
> Your configuration is allowing a lot of third party communication to
> slow down page loading.  Typically pages load ads before content, and
> if those ads are delayed, the content looks like it is slow to
> deliver.  A neat trick to use is ad nauseum instead of an ad blocker.

Hi Stan,

from what I read at https://adnauseam.io/, AdNauseam does something
else, and its purpose has nothing to do with performance. It DOES
download
the ads, specifically to "click" on them. Why do you say that it could
make
Firefox faster?

Quite curious,
Marco

--
http://mfioretti.com
wwp

Re: OT: why would AdNauseam make Firefox faster?, was: why is firefox so &*^$#&^$^#$*&_*()&) SLOW!?!?

wwp
Hello M.,

On Wed, 11 Oct 2017 09:48:08 +0200 "M. Fioretti" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 2017-10-11 00:20, stan wrote:
>
> > I'm running the latest firefox from the repositories, and I would
> > characterize the response as 'snappy'.
> > > Some possibilities:
> > > Your configuration is allowing a lot of third party communication to
> > slow down page loading.  Typically pages load ads before content, and
> > if those ads are delayed, the content looks like it is slow to
> > deliver.  A neat trick to use is ad nauseum instead of an ad blocker.
>
> Hi Stan,
>
> from what I read at https://adnauseam.io/, AdNauseam does something
> else, and its purpose has nothing to do with performance. It DOES download
> the ads, specifically to "click" on them. Why do you say that it could make
> Firefox faster?
According to what I could read on the add-on page users' feedback, it's
more about making firefox slower than faster ;-). Here it doesn't work
at all, but that's another topic!

wwp

Re: why is firefox so &*^$#&^$^#$*&_*()&) SLOW!?!?

Jonny Heggheim-2
On 10/10/2017 11:07 PM, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
>   i am beyond frustrated with how mind-bendingly slow as a dog is
> firefox on my fully-updated F26 system. eg, i go on twitter, want to
> just post a tweet, sometimes takes several *seconds* just to finally
> get around to responding to keyboard strokes.
>
>   is anyone else seeing this? i am seriously ready to dump firefox
> simply because it has turned into such a worthless piece of crap. what
> is going on?

It happens on my laptop too, I have no idea what is causing it.

Re: Are you sure it's only the browser? Was: why is firefox so &*^$#&^$^#$*&_*()&) SLOW!?!?

Alessio Ciregia
On Oct 11, 2017 09:46, "M. Fioretti" <[hidden email]> wrote:
I solved the problem brilliantly by... switching (also for other reasons)
to Ubuntu 16.04LTS. Not 100% good, but much, much, much better from the
point of view of this post.

My highly unscientific opinion is that there is something in the F25
COMBINED, default configuration of:

Staying in the unscientific field: who knows if reinstalling Fedora (instead of another distro) from scratch, performances would be improved? :-)

Ciao
A.

Re: why is firefox so &*^$#&^$^#$*&_*()&) SLOW!?!?

Ahmad Samir
On 11 October 2017 at 06:12, Robert Lu <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi, I think there is some reason:
>
> 1. your connection is very slow.
> you can try to test your network speed, such as fast.com
>
> 2. your firefox have internal bug.
> well, you can open developer tools, and watch the request timing tab. it can
> check which part of request is slow. such as DNS time, send time, wait time.
>
> 3. your firefox's UI is not reponse
> You can try resize firefox window size while you wait loading. if layout is
> normal, the UI is OK.
>
> All in all,
> we need your more diagnostic information。

I use firefox and I don't see any particular slowness of late.

I would add to the above list trying with a new firefox profile; you can:
- close firefox then rename ~/.mozilla and start firefox again
- close firefox, take a backup of ~/.mozilla then start firefox, go to
about:support and 'refresh firefox'

--
Ahmad Samir

Re: why is firefox so &*^$#&^$^#$*&_*()&) SLOW!?!?

Germano Corrêa
I'm a regular Firefox and Fedora user, and I use stable firefox from fedora's repo and the nightly, both are running fast here. Once, like 2 versions ago, firefox used to be very slow, but that's not a problem now.

Em qua, 11 de out de 2017 às 06:44, Ahmad Samir <[hidden email]> escreveu:
On 11 October 2017 at 06:12, Robert Lu <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi, I think there is some reason:
>
> 1. your connection is very slow.
> you can try to test your network speed, such as fast.com
>
> 2. your firefox have internal bug.
> well, you can open developer tools, and watch the request timing tab. it can
> check which part of request is slow. such as DNS time, send time, wait time.
>
> 3. your firefox's UI is not reponse
> You can try resize firefox window size while you wait loading. if layout is
> normal, the UI is OK.
>
> All in all,
> we need your more diagnostic information。

I use firefox and I don't see any particular slowness of late.

I would add to the above list trying with a new firefox profile; you can:
- close firefox then rename ~/.mozilla and start firefox again
- close firefox, take a backup of ~/.mozilla then start firefox, go to
about:support and 'refresh firefox'

--
Ahmad Samir

Re: why is firefox so &*^$#&^$^#$*&_*()&) SLOW!?!?

Matthew Miller-2
On Tue, Oct 10, 2017 at 05:07:54PM -0400, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
>   i am beyond frustrated with how mind-bendingly slow as a dog is
> firefox on my fully-updated F26 system. eg, i go on twitter, want to
> just post a tweet, sometimes takes several *seconds* just to finally
> get around to responding to keyboard strokes.

I had this happen to me, and it turned out that it was something to do
with an extension I had installed. Try disabling any extensions and add
them back one by one.

--
Matthew Miller
<[hidden email]>