'who' & 'users' not working in lxqt (fed26)

12
AV

'who' & 'users' not working in lxqt (fed26)

AV
Should I consider this a bug or is something else going on
that I am not aware of?

AV

Re: 'who' & 'users' not working in lxqt (fed26)

Matthew Miller-2
On Thu, Aug 03, 2017 at 05:59:45PM +0200, AV wrote:
> Should I consider this a bug or is something else going on
> that I am not aware of?

In what way are they not working?
--
Matthew Miller
<[hidden email]>

Re: 'who' & 'users' not working in lxqt (fed26)

Rick Stevens-4
On 08/03/2017 08:59 AM, AV wrote:
> Should I consider this a bug or is something else going on
> that I am not aware of?

In what way are they not working? Your message is akin to talking to
a mechanic and saying "My car doesn't work." Pretty much useless info.

F26, XFCE, fully updated:

        [rick@prophead ~]$ who
        rick     tty1         2017-08-01 09:24 (:0)
        [rick@prophead ~]$ users
        rick

Both who and users rely on /var/run/utmp and/or /var/run/wtmp being
present and updated by the various login processes.
AV

On Thu, 2017-08-03 at 09:33 -0700, Rick Stevens wrote:

> On 08/03/2017 08:59 AM, AV wrote:
> > Should I consider this a bug or is something else going on
> > that I am not aware of?
>
> In what way are they not working?

In the obvious way, not working as expected:

[ol@lo ~]$ who
[ol@lo ~]$ users
[ol@lo ~]$ who -a
           system boot  2017-08-03 18:52
           run-level 5  2017-08-03 18:53

The logged-in and active users are not shown

On 08/03/2017 10:04 AM, AV wrote:

> On Thu, 2017-08-03 at 09:33 -0700, Rick Stevens wrote:
>
>> On 08/03/2017 08:59 AM, AV wrote:
>>> Should I consider this a bug or is something else going on
>>> that I am not aware of?
>>
>> In what way are they not working?
>
> In the obvious way, not working as expected:
>
> [ol@lo ~]$ who
> [ol@lo ~]$ users
> [ol@lo ~]$ who -a
>            system boot  2017-08-03 18:52
>            run-level 5  2017-08-03 18:53
>
> The logged-in and active users are not shown

Well, then the login process for the X user isn't updating utmp or wtmp,
since that's what who and users looks at. I'd suspect your display
manager.

Re: 'who' & 'users' not working in lxqt (fed26)

Dr. Robert Marmorstein
I saw something similar to this in Arch Linux before I switched to Fedora.  It happened shortly after the switch to systemd and persisted on my systems until at least the beginning of this year.  I was able to see who was logged in by running "loginctl".  Does that work for you?

Robert M. Marmorstein
Associate Professor of Computer Science
Longwood University, Ruffner 329
201 High Street, Farmville, VA 23909
434.395.2185

AV

Re: 'who' & 'users' not working in lxqt (fed26)

AV

On Thu, Aug 3, 2017 at 8:09 PM, Marmorstein, Robert <[hidden email]> wrote:
I saw something similar to this in Arch Linux before I switched to Fedora. It happened shortly after the switch to systemd and persisted on my systems until at least the beginning of this year. I was able to see who was logged in by running "loginctl". Does that work for you? Robert M. Marmorstein Associate Professor of Computer Science Longwood University, Ruffner 329 201 High Street, Farmville, VA 23909 434.395.2185 [hidden email]

Yes, loginctl works. But I don't need to know who is logged in. I am the only one.
I was just checking how lxqt worked on an old notebook I that I don't use anymore.

On 08/03/2017 11:09 AM, Marmorstein, Robert wrote:
> I saw something similar to this in Arch Linux before I switched to Fedora.  It happened shortly after the switch to systemd and persisted on my systems until at least the beginning of this year.  I was able to see who was logged in by running "loginctl".  Does that work for you?

Check the session manager, too and/or its settings. I just installed
LXQt and logged in using it. Both who and users worked fine for me.

Oh, and please don't top-post.

AV

On Thu, 2017-08-03 at 13:08 -0700, Rick Stevens wrote:

> On 08/03/2017 11:09 AM, Marmorstein, Robert wrote:
> > I saw something similar to this in Arch Linux before I switched to
> > Fedora.  It happened shortly after the switch to systemd and
> > persisted on my systems until at least the beginning of this
> > year.  I was able to see who was logged in by running
> > "loginctl".  Does that work for you?
>
> Check the session manager, too and/or its settings. I just installed
> LXQt and logged in using it. Both who and users worked fine for me.
>
> Oh, and please don't top-post.

You replied to Marmorstein, not to me :) I don't top post.

Strange that it works for you.

I had just finished checking the session manager and its settings
and didn't see anything untoward. But then I do not usually wrestle
with these things so I might have missed something.

I will now do a fresh install on another machine
and see if that works and then compare to see what happened.

AV
AV

Re: 'who' & 'users' not working in lxqt (fed26)

AV
On Thu, 2017-08-03 at 13:08 -0700, Rick Stevens wrote:

> Check the session manager, too and/or its settings. I just installed
> LXQt and logged in using it. Both who and users worked fine for me.
>
> Oh, and please don't top-post.

This is getting stranger and stranger!
I just finished a fresh install on another machine and tested
immediately after install: neither 'who' nor 'users' worked.
Tried again after update 300+ packages and again: no success!

But the install didn't quite work OK. After the install and
clicking QUIT the boot had to wait a couple of minutes to
proceed: 'a start job is running for initial setup and configuration'.
But eventually I reached the desktop.

After update of the 300+ packages a reboot resulted in a black screen.
The panel was visible so I could work with terminal/applications but
without background, just black screen.

If I remember correctly lxqt did not get much(any?) attention
from QA. I give up for the moment, wasted enough time on a
'try out' allready. I don't use lxqt, just wanted to see if it
would work on an old notebook that I don't use anymore.

On 08/03/2017 02:45 PM, AV wrote:

> On Thu, 2017-08-03 at 13:08 -0700, Rick Stevens wrote:
>> On 08/03/2017 11:09 AM, Marmorstein, Robert wrote:
>>> I saw something similar to this in Arch Linux before I switched to
>>> Fedora.  It happened shortly after the switch to systemd and
>>> persisted on my systems until at least the beginning of this
>>> year.  I was able to see who was logged in by running
>>> "loginctl".  Does that work for you?
>>
>> Check the session manager, too and/or its settings. I just installed
>> LXQt and logged in using it. Both who and users worked fine for me.
>>
>> Oh, and please don't top-post.
>>
> You replied to Marmorstein, not to me :) I don't top post.

Whoops! I just replied to the thread. Didn't pay attention to the last
poster. My bad! (now flailing myself with wet linguini)

> Strange that it works for you.

Understand that normally I use Xfce. I simply did a

        dnf groupinstall "LXQt Desktop"

then logged out of my Xfce session and logged in under an LXQt
session. It may be that my greeter, session manager or display
manager is different in this sort of scenario than you have, but it
works. Under Xfce, I use lightdm as my display manager and that may
still be the case under LXQt (I don't think the display manager gets
changed by simply installing a new desktop).

IIRC, LXQt uses lxdm as the display manager by default and there are
postings about lxdm not updating utmp out there in Google-land. I didn't
check to see what was running when I was in LXQt. Sorry...probably
should have.

I just checked and the permissions for the file that "user" and "who"
rely on is:

        root@golem4 ~]# ls -l /var/run/utmp
        -rw-rw-r-- 1 root utmp 1152 Aug  3 12:55 /var/run/utmp

so you can see it got touched today (that is about the time I logged
back into Xfce after terminating the temporary LXQt session).

> I had just finished checking the session manager and its settings
> and didn't see anything untoward. But then I do not usually wrestle
> with these things so I might have missed something.

I checked a bit, too, but I didn't see anything obvious that would
relate to that other than the aforementioned issues with lxdm versus
lightdm.

> I will now do a fresh install on another machine
> and see if that works and then compare to see what happened.

Yeah, I'm curious to know what's what.
AV

On Thu, 2017-08-03 at 16:23 -0700, Rick Stevens wrote:
> On 08/03/2017 02:45 PM, AV wrote

> > You replied to Marmorstein, not to me :) I don't top post.
>
> Whoops! I just replied to the thread. Didn't pay attention to the
> last
> poster. My bad! (now flailing myself with wet linguini)
>
> > Strange that it works for you.
>
> Understand that normally I use Xfce. I simply did a
>
> dnf groupinstall "LXQt Desktop"
>
> then logged out of my Xfce session and logged in under an LXQt
> session. It may be that my greeter, session manager or display
> manager is different in this sort of scenario than you have, but it
> works. Under Xfce, I use lightdm as my display manager and that may
> still be the case under LXQt (I don't think the display manager gets
> changed by simply installing a new desktop).
>
> IIRC, LXQt uses lxdm as the display manager by default and there are
> postings about lxdm not updating utmp out there in Google-land. I
> didn't
> check to see what was running when I was in LXQt. Sorry...probably
> should have.

Sorry, Lxqt uses SDDM! (I don't know how stable SDDM is yet, I saw
a lot of problems mentioned on the web).

> I just checked and the permissions for the file that "user" and "who"
> rely on is:
>
> root@golem4 ~]# ls -l /var/run/utmp
> -rw-rw-r-- 1 root utmp 1152 Aug  3 12:55 /var/run/utmp
>
> so you can see it got touched today (that is about the time I logged
> back into Xfce after terminating the temporary LXQt session).

Mine was touched to, same permissions.

> > I had just finished checking the session manager and its settings
> > and didn't see anything untoward. But then I do not usually wrestle
> > with these things so I might have missed something.
>
> I checked a bit, too, but I didn't see anything obvious that would
> relate to that other than the aforementioned issues with lxdm versus
> lightdm.
>
> > I will now do a fresh install on another machine
> > and see if that works and then compare to see what happened.
>
> Yeah, I'm curious to know what's what.

See the mail I posted before this one.

> ---
> - Rick Stevens, Systems Engineer, AllDigital    [hidden email]
> -
> - AIM/Skype: therps2        ICQ: 226437340           Yahoo: origrps2
> -
> -
> -
> -  Whoever said "Money can't buy happiness" obviously never had
> any  -
> -                                 money!
> -

Re: 'who' & 'users' not working in lxqt (fed26)

Ed Greshko-2
On 08/04/2017 08:05 AM, AV wrote:
> Sorry, Lxqt uses SDDM! (I don't know how stable SDDM is yet, I saw
> a lot of problems mentioned on the web).

SDDM is quite stable.  Been using it with KDE since, I believe, F24.

> Mine was touched to, same permissions.
>>> I had just finished checking the session manager and its settings
>>> and didn't see anything untoward. But then I do not usually wrestle
>>> with these things so I might have missed something.
>> I checked a bit, too, but I didn't see anything obvious that would
>> relate to that other than the aforementioned issues with lxdm versus
>> lightdm.
>>
>>> I will now do a fresh install on another machine
>>> and see if that works and then compare to see what happened.
>> Yeah, I'm curious to know what's what.
> See the mail I posted before this one.

I did a fresh install of the LXqt spin in a Virtual Machine and verified that no
entries are shown when the "who" or "users" command is issued.

Also, "last" does not show any user entries either.

I then enabled and started sshd and did an "ssh localhost".  After which the "who",
"users", and "last" commands do show entries.

Conclusion, there is a configuration that needs to be changed to enable recording of
graphic logins.

Should not be hard to find.....but I need more coffee.

--
Fedora Users List - The place to go to speculate endlessly

On 08/03/2017 05:58 PM, Ed Greshko wrote:

> On 08/04/2017 08:05 AM, AV wrote:
>> Sorry, Lxqt uses SDDM! (I don't know how stable SDDM is yet, I saw
>> a lot of problems mentioned on the web).
>
> SDDM is quite stable.  Been using it with KDE since, I believe, F24.
>
>> Mine was touched to, same permissions.
>>> I checked a bit, too, but I didn't see anything obvious that would
>>> relate to that other than the aforementioned issues with lxdm versus
>>> lightdm.

>>> Yeah, I'm curious to know what's what.
>> See the mail I posted before this one.
>>

> I did a fresh install of the LXqt spin in a Virtual Machine and verified that no
> entries are shown when the "who" or "users" command is issued.
>
> Also, "last" does not show any user entries either.
>
> I then enabled and started sshd and did an "ssh localhost".  After which the "who",
> "users", and "last" commands do show entries.
>
> Conclusion, there is a configuration that needs to be changed to enable recording of
> graphic logins.
>
> Should not be hard to find.....but I need more coffee.

Yeah, I'm hip. I'm _fairly_ certain it's lxdm that's at fault. There
are a lot of things on the web regarding this issue. If you get a
chance, you might try using lightdm as the display manager and see if
that buys you anything.

Although the OP just wanted to see if LXQt would work on an old laptop
he had. I don't think it's critical, but it would be nice to know what
it is. If it is lxdm, it could affect other desktops.

Re: 'who' & 'users' not working in lxqt (fed26)

Ed Greshko
On 08/04/2017 09:15 AM, Rick Stevens wrote:

> On 08/03/2017 05:58 PM, Ed Greshko wrote:
>> On 08/04/2017 08:05 AM, AV wrote:
>>> Sorry, Lxqt uses SDDM! (I don't know how stable SDDM is yet, I saw
>>> a lot of problems mentioned on the web).
>> SDDM is quite stable.  Been using it with KDE since, I believe, F24.
>>
>>> Mine was touched to, same permissions.

>>> See the mail I posted before this one.
>>>
>> I did a fresh install of the LXqt spin in a Virtual Machine and verified that no
>> entries are shown when the "who" or "users" command is issued.
>>
>> Also, "last" does not show any user entries either.
>>
>> I then enabled and started sshd and did an "ssh localhost".  After which the "who",
>> "users", and "last" commands do show entries.
>>
>> Conclusion, there is a configuration that needs to be changed to enable recording of
>> graphic logins.
>>
>> Should not be hard to find.....but I need more coffee.
> Yeah, I'm hip. I'm _fairly_ certain it's lxdm that's at fault. There
> are a lot of things on the web regarding this issue. If you get a
> chance, you might try using lightdm as the display manager and see if
> that buys you anything.
>
> Although the OP just wanted to see if LXQt would work on an old laptop
> he had. I don't think it's critical, but it would be nice to know what
> it is. If it is lxdm, it could affect other desktops.

Ahhh....  LXQt is using, by default, sddm.  So, not sure why the mention of lxdm.

Anyway, I'm running KDE with SDDM as my display manager and everything is "normal" in
that all users on the system are being shown.

[egreshko@meimei system]$ who
egreshko pts/0        2017-08-03 09:11 (:0)
egreshko pts/1        2017-08-03 09:12 (:0)
egreshko pts/2        2017-08-03 09:12 (:0)
egreshko pts/3        2017-08-03 09:12 (:0)

Surely the :0 indicates a graphical login.

I'm pretty sure I made a change to my system quite some time back to make it record
the graphic user's stuff.  Can't recall at the moment.

The other thing, for some reason (I didn't look very hard) LXQt stalls at shutdown or
reboot time for a while and one should let this go.  During the install process the
reboot also stalled and I wonder if not letting it finish has resulted in the other
issues of the OP.

On 08/04/2017 09:28 AM, Ed Greshko wrote:

> Anyway, I'm running KDE with SDDM as my display manager and everything is "normal" in
> that all users on the system are being shown.
>
> [egreshko@meimei system]$ who
> egreshko pts/0        2017-08-03 09:11 (:0)
> egreshko pts/1        2017-08-03 09:12 (:0)
> egreshko pts/2        2017-08-03 09:12 (:0)
> egreshko pts/3        2017-08-03 09:12 (:0)
>
> Surely the :0 indicates a graphical login.
>
> I'm pretty sure I made a change to my system quite some time back to make it record
> the graphic user's stuff.  Can't recall at the moment.

Oh, and FWIW, the above is on a system that had been upgraded since maybe F23.   I
also have a laptop with a fresh F26 install of KDE only and it also records the
logins/logouts of graphical users.

So.....now in search of some "difference".  Not sure why I'm doing this however....
:-) :-)

--
Fedora Users List - The place to go to speculate endlessly

Re: 'who' & 'users' not working in lxqt (fed26)

Jon LaBadie
On Thu, Aug 03, 2017 at 06:15:25PM -0700, Rick Stevens wrote:
> On 08/03/2017 05:58 PM, Ed Greshko wrote:
> > On 08/04/2017 08:05 AM, AV wrote:
> >> Sorry, Lxqt uses SDDM! (I don't know how stable SDDM is yet, I saw
> >> a lot of problems mentioned on the web).
> >
> > SDDM is quite stable.  Been using it with KDE since, I believe, F24.

> Yeah, I'm hip. I'm _fairly_ certain it's lxdm that's at fault. There
> are a lot of things on the web regarding this issue. If you get a
> chance, you might try using lightdm as the display manager and see if
> that buys you anything.

Just a "me too" data point.

I'm on FC24, using mate and sddm.  The graphical console
user login is not registered (who/users does not show it
though loginctl does).  Login sessions via ssh, either
from remote hosts or to localhost are registered.

jl
--
Jon H. LaBadie                  [hidden email]

Re: 'who' & 'users' not working in lxqt (fed26)

Dr. Robert Marmorstein
<snip>

>though loginctl does).  Login sessions via ssh, either
>from remote hosts or to localhost are registered.

Does "who -a" show them?  I have a vague recollection I looked into that when I first encountered this.

--Robert

On Fri, Aug 04, 2017 at 03:33:19AM +0000, Marmorstein, Robert wrote:
> <snip>
>
> >though loginctl does).  Login sessions via ssh, either
> >from remote hosts or to localhost are registered.
>
> Does "who -a" show them?  I have a vague recollection I looked into that when I first encountered this.

Doesn't seem to.

$ loginctl
   SESSION        UID USER             SEAT
     28289       1001 jon
         4       1001 jon              seat0

$ who -a
           system boot  2017-06-27 22:03
           run-level 5  2017-06-27 22:03
jon      + pts/4        2017-08-03 18:58   .         24114 (205.166.177.18)
           pts/5        2017-08-03 22:29              3156 id=ts/5  term=0 exit=0
           pts/5        2017-07-06 16:14                 0 id=/5    term=0 exit=0
           pts/6        2017-07-06 16:59                 0 id=/6    term=0 exit=0
           pts/6        2017-07-30 02:30             16825 id=ts/6  term=0 exit=0

2 sessions listed.

jl
--
Jon H. LaBadie                  [hidden email]

On 08/04/2017 11:56 AM, Jon LaBadie wrote:

> On Fri, Aug 04, 2017 at 03:33:19AM +0000, Marmorstein, Robert wrote:
>> <snip>
>>
>>> though loginctl does).  Login sessions via ssh, either
>> >from remote hosts or to localhost are registered.
>>
>> Does "who -a" show them?  I have a vague recollection I looked into that when I first encountered this.
>>
> Doesn't seem to.
>
> $ loginctl
>    SESSION        UID USER             SEAT
>      28289       1001 jon
>          4       1001 jon              seat0
>
> $ who -a
>            system boot  2017-06-27 22:03
>            run-level 5  2017-06-27 22:03
> jon      + pts/4        2017-08-03 18:58   .         24114 (205.166.177.18)
>            pts/5        2017-08-03 22:29              3156 id=ts/5  term=0 exit=0
>            pts/5        2017-07-06 16:14                 0 id=/5    term=0 exit=0
>            pts/6        2017-07-06 16:59                 0 id=/6    term=0 exit=0
>            pts/6        2017-07-30 02:30             16825 id=ts/6  term=0 exit=0
>
> 2 sessions listed.

Same here....

I will note that I have 2 test VM's installed.  One pure KDE.  One pure LXQt.  Both
are using and have the same version of sddm installed.  Which is sddm-0.14.0-10.fc26.

On the KDE system when logged in the who command will show.

[egreshko@acer lib]$ who
egreshko pts/0        2017-07-27 19:42 (:0)

While nothing will be returned on the LXQt system.

So,  I then installed KDE Plasma Workspaces on the formerly pure LXQT system.

Now when I login to an LXQt session "who" does show the graphical session....

[egreshko@meimei testing]$ cat who.lxqt
egreshko pts/0        2017-08-04 16:03 (:0)

And the environment shows...

XDG_MENU_PREFIX=lxqt-
LXQT_SESSION_CONFIG=session
HOSTNAME=f26-lxqt.greshko.com
DESKTOP_SESSION=/usr/share/xsessions/lxqt
QT_QPA_PLATFORMTHEME=lxqt
SSH_ASKPASS=/usr/libexec/openssh/lxqt-openssh-askpass
QT_PLATFORM_PLUGIN=lxqt
XDG_CURRENT_DESKTOP=X-LXQt

Now, adding KDE resulted in 354 additional packages being installed.

One of them did the trick.   I suppose I could try and track down the magic package....