weird delay in some apps after moving to new computer

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
9 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

weird delay in some apps after moving to new computer

Tom Horsley-5
The most reproducible one is claws-mail which always
takes 25 seconds to start, and the delay seems to be
something to do with dbus messages. Here's some
debug-monitor output that shows the delay:

sig     1575815215.835943       4294967295      org.freedesktop.DBus    <none> /org/freedesktop/DBus    org.freedesktop.DBus    NameOwnerChanged
mc      1575815240.865401       1       :1.8953 org.freedesktop.DBus    /org/freedesktop/DBus   org.freedesktop.DBus    Hello
mr      1575815240.865440       4294967295      org.freedesktop.DBus    :1.89531

Went from 15 to 40 sending that Hello. (Which seems to be just the
way you setup a dbus connection, so it isn't very exotic).

Anyone have any clue what might cause this? I tried loading
a bunch of debuginfo files and debugging, but it is all gibberish,
and the most I could tell was that it was waiting on a dbus reply
to a Hello message.
_______________________________________________
users mailing list -- [hidden email]
To unsubscribe send an email to [hidden email]
Fedora Code of Conduct: https://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/project/code-of-conduct/
List Guidelines: https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
List Archives: https://lists.fedoraproject.org/archives/list/users@...
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: weird delay in some apps after moving to new computer

Fedora List mailing list-2
On Sun, 8 Dec 2019 09:39:52 -0500
Tom Horsley <[hidden email]> wrote:

> The most reproducible one is claws-mail which always
> takes 25 seconds to start, and the delay seems to be
> something to do with dbus messages. Here's some
> debug-monitor output that shows the delay:
>
> sig     1575815215.835943       4294967295      org.freedesktop.DBus
>   <none> /org/freedesktop/DBus    org.freedesktop.DBus
> NameOwnerChanged mc      1575815240.865401       1       :1.8953
> org.freedesktop.DBus    /org/freedesktop/DBus   org.freedesktop.DBus
>   Hello mr      1575815240.865440       4294967295
> org.freedesktop.DBus    :1.89531
>
> Went from 15 to 40 sending that Hello. (Which seems to be just the
> way you setup a dbus connection, so it isn't very exotic).
>
> Anyone have any clue what might cause this? I tried loading
> a bunch of debuginfo files and debugging, but it is all gibberish,
> and the most I could tell was that it was waiting on a dbus reply
> to a Hello message.

I have no answer for the delay, but as a point of reference, claws
starts within a second or two here on F31.  It used to be faster.
Within the last 6 months to a year, I remember it starting in less than
a second. So, something is interfering on your system.  From your
description, it sounds like it is waiting on something, a dependency
that isn't already loaded and is blocked by something else.  What is
happening on top when the delay happens?  How about iotop?  Is there a
process hogging a lot of cpu or a lot of io?
_______________________________________________
users mailing list -- [hidden email]
To unsubscribe send an email to [hidden email]
Fedora Code of Conduct: https://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/project/code-of-conduct/
List Guidelines: https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
List Archives: https://lists.fedoraproject.org/archives/list/users@...
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: weird delay in some apps after moving to new computer

Tom Horsley-5
On Sun, 8 Dec 2019 11:49:41 -0700
stan via users wrote:

> What is
> happening on top when the delay happens?

Nothing I can see. I even created a new virtual machine from scratch,
and it hangs there - I posted another message with details, but
it seems to be the combination of gtk2 and an Intel I9-9900K cpu
that does it (as weird as that sounds). It didn't hang on my
old system.
_______________________________________________
users mailing list -- [hidden email]
To unsubscribe send an email to [hidden email]
Fedora Code of Conduct: https://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/project/code-of-conduct/
List Guidelines: https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
List Archives: https://lists.fedoraproject.org/archives/list/users@...
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: weird delay in some apps after moving to new computer

Patrick O'Callaghan-2
On Sun, 2019-12-08 at 14:03 -0500, Tom Horsley wrote:

> On Sun, 8 Dec 2019 11:49:41 -0700
> stan via users wrote:
>
> > What is
> > happening on top when the delay happens?
>
> Nothing I can see. I even created a new virtual machine from scratch,
> and it hangs there - I posted another message with details, but
> it seems to be the combination of gtk2 and an Intel I9-9900K cpu
> that does it (as weird as that sounds). It didn't hang on my
> old system.

Maybe do an 'strace' on the process.

poc
_______________________________________________
users mailing list -- [hidden email]
To unsubscribe send an email to [hidden email]
Fedora Code of Conduct: https://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/project/code-of-conduct/
List Guidelines: https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
List Archives: https://lists.fedoraproject.org/archives/list/users@...
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: weird delay in some apps after moving to new computer

Tom Horsley-5
On Sun, 08 Dec 2019 19:12:02 +0000
Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:

> Maybe do an 'strace' on the process.

I've done that, but nothing obvious is going on. However
I now have a definite clue:

In my fedora 31 virtual machine, the hang happens the
same way.

If I use virt-manager to tell it to emulate IvyBridge
instead of native cpu, there is no hang!

I have this feeling there is one of those gnu-indirect
functions in the library that is busted for whatever
architecture feature it is checking for on an i9-9900K
and that indirectly screws up something in gtk2.
_______________________________________________
users mailing list -- [hidden email]
To unsubscribe send an email to [hidden email]
Fedora Code of Conduct: https://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/project/code-of-conduct/
List Guidelines: https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
List Archives: https://lists.fedoraproject.org/archives/list/users@...
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: weird delay in some apps after moving to new computer

Fedora List mailing list-2
On Sun, 8 Dec 2019 14:25:30 -0500
Tom Horsley <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Sun, 08 Dec 2019 19:12:02 +0000
> Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
>
> > Maybe do an 'strace' on the process.  
>
> I've done that, but nothing obvious is going on. However
> I now have a definite clue:
>
> In my fedora 31 virtual machine, the hang happens the
> same way.
>
> If I use virt-manager to tell it to emulate IvyBridge
> instead of native cpu, there is no hang!
>
> I have this feeling there is one of those gnu-indirect
> functions in the library that is busted for whatever
> architecture feature it is checking for on an i9-9900K
> and that indirectly screws up something in gtk2.

The fact that the delay is exactly 30 seconds supports this, as that
sounds like a timeout value that is set.  Do you have any custom
tweaks left around that apply to your old cpu and not to your new
one?  There are no bugs open against i9-9900k in the fedora bugzilla, so
if this is real and not an artifact of leftover cruft, no one is looking
at it.
_______________________________________________
users mailing list -- [hidden email]
To unsubscribe send an email to [hidden email]
Fedora Code of Conduct: https://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/project/code-of-conduct/
List Guidelines: https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
List Archives: https://lists.fedoraproject.org/archives/list/users@...
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: weird delay in some apps after moving to new computer

Tom Horsley-5
In reply to this post by Tom Horsley-5
On Sun, 8 Dec 2019 14:25:30 -0500
Tom Horsley wrote:

> If I use virt-manager to tell it to emulate IvyBridge
> instead of native cpu, there is no hang!

And I've now submitted this bug:

https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1780965
_______________________________________________
users mailing list -- [hidden email]
To unsubscribe send an email to [hidden email]
Fedora Code of Conduct: https://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/project/code-of-conduct/
List Guidelines: https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
List Archives: https://lists.fedoraproject.org/archives/list/users@...
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: weird delay in some apps after moving to new computer

Tom Horsley-5
In reply to this post by Fedora List mailing list-2
On Sun, 8 Dec 2019 12:40:50 -0700
stan via users wrote:

> The fact that the delay is exactly 30 seconds supports this, as that
> sounds like a timeout value that is set.

It is definitely a timeout. An strace showed it sitting
in a poll() and timing out talking to someone somewhere
possibly on dbus.
_______________________________________________
users mailing list -- [hidden email]
To unsubscribe send an email to [hidden email]
Fedora Code of Conduct: https://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/project/code-of-conduct/
List Guidelines: https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
List Archives: https://lists.fedoraproject.org/archives/list/users@...
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

weird delay in some apps after moving to new computer

SL Baur
In reply to this post by Tom Horsley-5
Tom Horsley writes:

 > The most reproducible one is claws-mail which always
 > takes 25 seconds to start, and the delay seems to be
 > something to do with dbus messages. Here's some
 > debug-monitor output that shows the delay:

30s is a common timeout for Internet functions, such as DNS.  I
remember when GNU decided to implement IPv6 according to the specs,
which require acquiring the canonical hostname before doing much of
anything else.  Of course a lot of sites didn't properly implement
reverse DNS for internal IPs, so you'd get one (and sometimes more)
timeouts before XEmacs would start, at 30s of useless delay each.

So we added a command-line option to avoid IPv6 initialization.
(Yeah, that's persnicketty, but we didn't want to introduce silent
non-conformance when the world was probably going to catch up in a
release cycle or two.  It did, at least our part of it.)

I don't know of any other subsystem with such long timeouts, but I
don't know all that much. :-)  Also, mail is an Internet application;
draw your own conclusions from that. ;-)

Steve

_______________________________________________
users mailing list -- [hidden email]
To unsubscribe send an email to [hidden email]
Fedora Code of Conduct: https://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/project/code-of-conduct/
List Guidelines: https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
List Archives: https://lists.fedoraproject.org/archives/list/users@...