weather satellite loop slow and jumpy: how to monitor gpu load?

weather satellite loop slow and jumpy: how to monitor gpu load?

Fedora List mailing list-2
background:
Earlier today, I was trying to view a loop of weather satellite images.  The animation speed was set to default, which is about midway between slowest and fastest.  But the images were inappropriately slow to load, and the animation was inappropriately slow to advance from frame to frame.  I experience this a lot.  My desktop has an nVidia GeForce GTX 660/PCIe/SSE2, and I'm using the driver that's from rpmfusion, *not* from nVidia (I don't remember what it's called) proprietary one.

questions:
I've seen somewhere, I don't remember where, that there is a way of monitoring the gpu's busyness or load.  I sure would like to be able to do this.  I'd like something similar to the cpu plot and process table of "KSysGuard".  What tool(s) come packaged with Fedora (27) to do this?  If none, what is available in the usual Fedora repositories for this?

Re: weather satellite loop slow and jumpy: how to monitor gpu load?

Ed Greshko
On 06/08/18 09:37, home user via users wrote:
> Earlier today, I was trying to view a loop of weather satellite images.  The animation speed was set to default, which is about midway between slowest and fastest.  But the images were inappropriately slow to load, and the animation was inappropriately slow to advance from frame to frame.  I experience this a lot.  My desktop has an nVidia GeForce GTX 660/PCIe/SSE2, and I'm using the driver that's from rpmfusion, *not* from nVidia (I don't remember what it's called) proprietary one.

The driver from rpmfusion *is the same* as that from nVidia.  All that rpmfusion does
is package it in an easy to install and maintain way.

Just so others can check, maybe tell the web site you're accessing?

--
Conjecture is just a conclusion based on incomplete information. It isn't a fact.

Re: weather satellite loop slow and jumpy: how to monitor gpu load?

Fedora List mailing list-2
My real desire here is to have a gpu monitor.  These weather satellite loops are not the only reason for wanting this.  But the loops are an easy demonstration of where a gpu monitor really would be nice to have available.

The url is:
http://rammb-slider.cira.colostate.edu/?sat=goes-16&sec=full_disk&x=10848&y=10848&z=0&im=12&ts=1&st=0&et=0&speed=130&motion=loop&map=1&lat=0&p%5B0%5D=16&opacity%5B0%5D=1&hidden%5B0%5D=0&pause=20180608013051&slider=-1&hide_controls=0&mouse_draw=0&s=rammb-slider

The satellite can be set to either GOES-East (GOES-16) or Himawari-8.
I usually click the "Zoom (+)" either once or twice.
For "Product", I most often choose "RGB Air Mass (EUMETSAT)".

The RGB Air Mass is not imaged by the satellite.  Rather it is derived (calculated) from four other bands that are imaged by the satellite.  I do not know if that math is done by the host or on my workstation.

On 06/08/18 10:22, home user via users wrote:

> My real desire here is to have a gpu monitor.  These weather satellite loops are not the only reason for wanting this.  But the loops are an easy demonstration of where a gpu monitor really would be nice to have available.
>
> The url is:
> http://rammb-slider.cira.colostate.edu/?sat=goes-16&sec=full_disk&x=10848&y=10848&z=0&im=12&ts=1&st=0&et=0&speed=130&motion=loop&map=1&lat=0&p%5B0%5D=16&opacity%5B0%5D=1&hidden%5B0%5D=0&pause=20180608013051&slider=-1&hide_controls=0&mouse_draw=0&s=rammb-slider
>
> The satellite can be set to either GOES-East (GOES-16) or Himawari-8.
> I usually click the "Zoom (+)" either once or twice.
> For "Product", I most often choose "RGB Air Mass (EUMETSAT)".
>
> The RGB Air Mass is not imaged by the satellite.  Rather it is derived (calculated) from four other bands that are imaged by the satellite.  I do not know if that math is done by the host or on my workstation.
The reason I asked about the site was two-fold.  Always nice to have another weather
satellite site, especially during typhoon season.  And, my system happens to run the
rpmfusion/nVidia drivers and my card is a GeForce GTX 660.  akmod-nvidia-390.59-1 is
the current driver.

Viewing that site within Chrome on F28/KDE is smooth at all speeds and all products
for me.

I really wouldn't expect a site such as that to be much of a gpu hog.  I think it
just downloads a series of images and then loops through them.  I would think that
watching a high-def movie with lots of action would be more of a strain on the gpu.

Anyway, I suppose I would check the nVida site to see if they have tools since you
are using their gpu and driver.

Oh, and thanks for the weather site.  :-)

--
Conjecture is just a conclusion based on incomplete information. It isn't a fact.

Re: weather satellite loop slow and jumpy: how to monitor gpu load?

Fedora List mailing list-2
I noticed that a large area of convective clouds east of the northern-most part of the Philippines has developed a little "twist" and shows good upper level divergence.  The Joint Typhoon Warning Center (JTWC) seems to think it will become a tropical cyclone soon.  Better keep an eye on it!  If you need the URL of the JTWC, let me know.  The site I gave you is by "CIRA", a research institute at Colorado State U. in Fort Collins, Colorado.  The site is currently "beta", and sometimes gets somewhat behind data-wise.

I'll try to check the nVidia site tomorrow.  It's late here now.

On 06/08/18 11:26, home user via users wrote:
> I noticed that a large area of convective clouds east of the northern-most part of the Philippines has developed a little "twist" and shows good upper level divergence.  The Joint Typhoon Warning Center (JTWC) seems to think it will become a tropical cyclone soon.  Better keep an eye on it!  If you need the URL of the JTWC, let me know.  The site I gave you is by "CIRA", a research institute at Colorado State U. in Fort Collins, Colorado.  The site is currently "beta", and sometimes gets somewhat behind data-wise.

I've had JTWC bookmarked for years now.  As well as Tropical Storm Risk.

For my area, Himawari is best and they have their own site.
http://www.data.jma.go.jp/mscweb/data/himawari/sat_img.php?area=se2

You should try that site and see if it performs well or not for you.  I've written
scripts that download the images on a daily basis and make them into movies when
typhoons hit Taiwan.  :-)

> I'll try to check the nVidia site tomorrow.  It's late here now.

Good luck

--
Conjecture is just a conclusion based on incomplete information. It isn't a fact.

Re: weather satellite loop slow and jumpy: how to monitor gpu load?

Fedora List mailing list-2
I saw the same issues with the JMA site that I saw with the CIRA site.  I don't know if it's relevant, but I use Firefox, not chrome.

I did not find any GPU monitors in the nVidia site.  But the CPU monitors I have did not come from Intel, they came packaged with Fedora or its desktop managers (Gnome, KDE, etc.).  Thus my hope that some member of this list knows of a GPU load/performance monitor for Linux.  I didn't see any in "apper" or "software".

The jma site does have some good training materials, and I've been wanting to learn more about the RGB Air Mass product.  Thank-you, Ed, for pointing me to that site.  Now if only I could find a site with free, high quality, high resolution isentropic analysis covering at least all of North America!  I see that the cloud cluster I mentioned yesterday, now a tropical storm, is currently forecast to not bother Taiwan.

On 06/09/18 09:30, home user via users wrote:
> I saw the same issues with the JMA site that I saw with the CIRA site.  I don't know if it's relevant, but I use Firefox, not chrome.

Yes, it is relevant.  I just now tried the RAMMB site in firefox and it is
experiencing issues.  Although the slider is moving at its normal pace, only the
first and last images are being flashed on the screen.  Refreshing the page makes it
work OK for a moment but then it results in similar wonkiness.  Chrome is working
just fine.

So, suggest you give another browser a try.  :-)

> I did not find any GPU monitors in the nVidia site.  But the CPU monitors I have did not come from Intel, they came packaged with Fedora or its desktop managers (Gnome, KDE, etc.).  Thus my hope that some member of this list knows of a GPU load/performance monitor for Linux.  I didn't see any in "apper" or "software".
>
> The jma site does have some good training materials, and I've been wanting to learn more about the RGB Air Mass product.  Thank-you, Ed, for pointing me to that site.  Now if only I could find a site with free, high quality, high resolution isentropic analysis covering at least all of North America!  I see that the cloud cluster I mentioned yesterday, now a tropical storm, is currently forecast to not bother Taiwan.

Yep, no stormy weather for us this time.

--
Conjecture is just a conclusion based on incomplete information. It isn't a fact.

Re: weather satellite loop slow and jumpy: how to monitor gpu load?

Ahmad Samir
On 8 June 2018 at 04:22, home user via users
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> My real desire here is to have a gpu monitor.  These weather satellite loops are not the only reason for wanting this.  But the loops are an easy demonstration of where a gpu monitor really would be nice to have available.

[...]
Not exactly like the Ksysguard plot(s), but try nvidia-settings, the
thermal settings tab should give an indication of the current load on
the GPU.

--
Ahmad Samir

Re: weather satellite loop slow and jumpy: how to monitor gpu load?

Fedora List mailing list-2
The looping working fine in one browser but not another suggests (to me) a problem with the other browser rather than the web site or my gpu.  So I will try to have some e-mail conversation with the slider's lead developer (I've had e-mail discussions with him before).  I hope to get adequate information from him to submit a good bug against Firefox.  This is likely to take a while.  If and when I submit a bug, I'll post its number here.

Re: weather satellite loop slow and jumpy: how to monitor gpu load?

Fedora List mailing list-2
Thank-you, Ahmad.  I tried it while watching a yangqin troupe video (some very fast playing) and a pipe organ video (camera man moved around a lot while shooting the organist playing the organ) as well as while the loop of weather satellite images was loading and playing.  What I find most useful there is what's displayed when I select what on my workstation is:
a. the 4th main line ("GPU 0 - (GeForce GTX 660)"), and
b. the second sub-entry of (a) ("PowerMizer").
You're right - not exactly like the KSysGuard plots.  Also no process-specific information like what KSysGuard offers.

Question: How do I make suggestions for new Fedora applications or tools?  (I realize the suggestions might get passed on to other software projects like KDE, Gnome, etc.)