/var/tmp/imgcreate-* : Can't umount

Philip Rhoades-2
People,

If the livecd script is interrupted or crashes it leaves the img file
system in /var/tmp and I can't unmount it except by rebooting the
computer which is a real pain of course - is there some trick to
umounting this?

Thanks,

Phil.
--
Philip Rhoades

GPO Box 3411
Sydney NSW 2001
Australia
E-mail:  [hidden email]

Re: /var/tmp/imgcreate-* : Can't umount

Bruno Wolff III
On Sun, Sep 26, 2010 at 13:49:37 +1000,
  Philip Rhoades <[hidden email]> wrote:
> People,
>
> If the livecd script is interrupted or crashes it leaves the img file
> system in /var/tmp and I can't unmount it except by rebooting the
> computer which is a real pain of course - is there some trick to
> umounting this?

You have to umount things in the right order.
Which version of livecd-tools are you using? Later versions have lazy umounts
that work around this. They don't help if you control c out when it's in
some parts of the code, but it shouldn't happen on normal compose failures.

Re: /var/tmp/imgcreate-* : Can't umount

Philip Rhoades-2
Bruno,

On 2010-09-26 23:25, Bruno Wolff III wrote:

> On Sun, Sep 26, 2010 at 13:49:37 +1000,
>    Philip Rhoades<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>> People,
>>
>> If the livecd script is interrupted or crashes it leaves the img file
>> system in /var/tmp and I can't unmount it except by rebooting the
>> computer which is a real pain of course - is there some trick to
>> umounting this?
>
> You have to umount things in the right order.

There seems to be only one file system mounted?

> Which version of livecd-tools are you using? Later versions have lazy umounts
> that work around this.

livecd-tools-031-1.fc12.1.x86_64 (it seems to be the latest).

 > They don't help if you control c out when it's in
 > some parts of the code, but it shouldn't happen on normal compose
failures.

I have Ctrl-C'd out of the script on occasions and of course this causes
the problems . .

Thanks,

Phil.
--
Philip Rhoades

GPO Box 3411
Sydney NSW 2001
Australia
E-mail:  [hidden email]

Re: /var/tmp/imgcreate-* : Can't umount

Bruno Wolff III
On Sun, Sep 26, 2010 at 23:48:51 +1000,
  Philip Rhoades <[hidden email]> wrote:
> There seems to be only one file system mounted?

Usually it's the bind mounts of /dev, /proc and /sys that don't get unmounted
first.

> livecd-tools-031-1.fc12.1.x86_64 (it seems to be the latest).

Try livecd-tools-033-3.fc12 in testing. If it works for you please add
karma at:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/updates/livecd-tools-033-3.fc12

> I have Ctrl-C'd out of the script on occasions and of course this causes
> the problems . .

It shouldn't, but it's trickier to catch. A called function from another
package is trapping it and exiting rather than using a more normal error
return. I think there may be a way to fix this, but it needs some looking into.
That only affects killing it when it is doing some things, at other times
things should get cleaned up in 033.

Re: /var/tmp/imgcreate-* : Can't umount

Bruno Wolff III
On Sun, Sep 26, 2010 at 12:01:06 -0500,
  Bruno Wolff III <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Try livecd-tools-033-3.fc12 in testing. If it works for you please add
> karma at:
> https://admin.fedoraproject.org/updates/livecd-tools-033-3.fc12

That was a bit of a mistatement. If you try the test version, please fill
out the karma whether it works or not. But if it breaks something that
works with 031, it's even more important to supply negative karma, than
supplying positive karma if it looks OK.

On 2010-09-27 03:19, Bruno Wolff III wrote:

> On Sun, Sep 26, 2010 at 12:01:06 -0500,
>    Bruno Wolff III<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>>
>> Try livecd-tools-033-3.fc12 in testing. If it works for you please add
>> karma at:
>> https://admin.fedoraproject.org/updates/livecd-tools-033-3.fc12
>
> That was a bit of a mistatement. If you try the test version, please fill
> out the karma whether it works or not. But if it breaks something that
> works with 031, it's even more important to supply negative karma, than
> supplying positive karma if it looks OK.

Still builds an iso OK but breaking out of a build still causes the
umount problem - see other note . .

Regards,

Phil.
--