should a livecd be ext3 or ext4

Grant Williamson
Should a livecd be created ext3 or ext4.

The reason I ask, is we tend offer the livecd's also as usb sticks,
when I last tried the
usb stick does not boot if the filesystem is ext4.

Comments anyone?

Re: should a livecd be ext3 or ext4

rahulsundaram
On 05/20/2009 12:43 PM, Williamson Grant wrote:
> Should a livecd be created ext3 or ext4.
>
> The reason I ask, is we tend offer the livecd's also as usb sticks, when
> I last tried the
> usb stick does not boot if the filesystem is ext4.
>
> Comments anyone?

Fedora 11 Live CD's will use Ext4 by default but retain a small /boot
partition formatted as Ext3. Since GRUB doesn't support LVM and Fedora
uses LVM by default, a separate /boot is needed anyway. You can create a
customized live cd with a different filesystem by using --fstype in
kickstart.

Rahul

Re: should a livecd be ext3 or ext4

Grant Williamson
Rahul,
    so the liveusb-creator will work with the ext4 created livecds?

On 05/20/2009 01:11 PM, Grant Williamson wrote:
> Rahul,
>    so the liveusb-creator will work with the ext4 created livecds?

Yes.

Rahul

Re: should a livecd be ext3 or ext4

Jeremy Katz
On Wednesday, May 20 2009, Rahul Sundaram said:

> On 05/20/2009 12:43 PM, Williamson Grant wrote:
> > Should a livecd be created ext3 or ext4.
> >
> > The reason I ask, is we tend offer the livecd's also as usb sticks, when
> > I last tried the
> > usb stick does not boot if the filesystem is ext4.
> >
> > Comments anyone?
>
> Fedora 11 Live CD's will use Ext4 by default but retain a small /boot
> partition formatted as Ext3. Since GRUB doesn't support LVM and Fedora
> uses LVM by default, a separate /boot is needed anyway. You can create a
> customized live cd with a different filesystem by using --fstype in
> kickstart.

This isn't entirely accurate.  The live images themselves are entirely
ext4.  When you install them on a hard drive, we make an ext3 /boot and
do some shuffling in anaconda.

The ext4 live image is compressed inside of a squashfs which is then
placed on your USB stick which should be formatted either as vfat, ext2,
or ext3.  I don't believe that extlinux (which we use for booting ext*
USB sticks with live images on them) supports ext4 yet

Jeremy

Re: should a livecd be ext3 or ext4

Jesse Keating-3
On Wed, 2009-05-20 at 09:13 +0200, Williamson Grant wrote:

> Should a livecd be created ext3 or ext4.
>
> The reason I ask, is we tend offer the livecd's also as usb sticks,
> when I last tried the
> usb stick does not boot if the filesystem is ext4.

The Live Image itself is ext4.  That is wrapped up in a squashfs file,
and then the file and some boot loader files are placed either on a CD
or on a USB device.  The format of the USB device doesn't matter much,
vfat, ext[2,3], etc.. so long as the bootloader can boot it.  It does
not have to match the filesystem that is in the squashfs image.

--
Jesse Keating
Fedora -- FreedomĀ² is a feature!

Re: should a livecd be ext3 or ext4

Grant Williamson
That clears that up, I create the usb img file from the iso using my
own scripts, guess that is where
I got confused.