printing envelopes?

Tom Horsley-5
I was trying to use LibreOffice to print an envelope last night.
The Insert>Envelope... dialog worked fine, but it will only
produce a profile print. My printer wants the envelope inserted
longways.

My work-around seems to be to export a PDF, then use evince
to print the PDF, which will indeed allow me to change
the orientation when printing.

Is that really the only (relatively simple) way to print
envelopes? (It might actually be simpler to use texlive
and command line tools).

Re: printing envelopes?

Patrick O'Callaghan-2
On Thu, 2017-06-15 at 12:17 -0400, Tom Horsley wrote:

> I was trying to use LibreOffice to print an envelope last night.
> The Insert>Envelope... dialog worked fine, but it will only
> produce a profile print. My printer wants the envelope inserted
> longways.
>
> My work-around seems to be to export a PDF, then use evince
> to print the PDF, which will indeed allow me to change
> the orientation when printing.
>
> Is that really the only (relatively simple) way to print
> envelopes? (It might actually be simpler to use texlive
> and command line tools).

Personally I use glabels with stick-on labels. Easier to manage on the
whole, but YMMV.

poc

Re: printing envelopes?

Ted Roche-2
On Thu, Jun 15, 2017 at 12:17 PM, Tom Horsley <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I was trying to use LibreOffice to print an envelope last night.
> The Insert>Envelope... dialog worked fine, but it will only
> produce a profile print. My printer wants the envelope inserted
> longways.
> [snip]
> Is that really the only (relatively simple) way to print
> envelopes? (It might actually be simpler to use texlive
> and command line tools).

After getting the envelope inserted into the document, I use the
standard print dialog, chose page 1 only, and change the feed source
to "Manual." When it prints, the printer prompts me to stick the
envelope in and it prints, landscape mode.

This might be dependent on your specific printer and print driver.

--
Ted Roche
Ted Roche & Associates, LLC

Re: printing envelopes?

Rick Stevens-4
On 06/15/2017 11:08 AM, Ted Roche wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 15, 2017 at 12:17 PM, Tom Horsley <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I was trying to use LibreOffice to print an envelope last night.
>> The Insert>Envelope... dialog worked fine, but it will only
>> produce a profile print. My printer wants the envelope inserted
>> longways.
>> [snip]
>> Is that really the only (relatively simple) way to print
>> envelopes? (It might actually be simpler to use texlive
>> and command line tools).
>
> After getting the envelope inserted into the document, I use the
> standard print dialog, chose page 1 only, and change the feed source
> to "Manual." When it prints, the printer prompts me to stick the
> envelope in and it prints, landscape mode.
>
> This might be dependent on your specific printer and print driver.

I accidentally replied directly to Ted [1], but thought it might be
germane to the whole list so I'm posting it (properly).

If you use "Insert->Envelope" from the menu bar, you get a window with
three tabs. The first, "Envelope", allows you to set the addressee and
sender addresses. The second tab, "Format", lets you select the envelope
type, text positioning and the rest. The third tab, "Printer", allows
you to select which printer you wish to send it to and the envelope
orientation.

You can also select "New Document" or "Insert" from the bottom of the
window, allowing you to create a new document or insert the envelope
into an existing document.

Hope that helps. I haven't used this a lot but it seems to work.

[1] I HATE having to remember to hit "Reply List". The messages came
from the list (and list server), and IMHO that's where replies should go
by default. GRRRRRR!

Re: printing envelopes? Off topic: reply behavior

stan
On Thu, 15 Jun 2017 11:34:52 -0700
Rick Stevens <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [1] I HATE having to remember to hit "Reply List". The messages came
> from the list (and list server), and IMHO that's where replies should
> go by default. GRRRRRR!

I'm not seeing this behavior.  I've been replying the same way for
years.  Is this something new?  Or is it specific to a particular mail
client?  I'm not complaining, because I agree with your sentiment above.

Re: printing envelopes?

Tom Horsley-5
Rick Stevens wrote:

> The third tab, "Printer", allows
> you to select which printer you wish to send it to and the envelope
> orientation.

You'd think so, but there is no orientation option available. I desperately
searched for one :-).

Re: printing envelopes?

Ian Pilcher
> Personally I use glabels with stick-on labels. Easier to manage on the
> whole, but YMMV.

Typewriter FTW!

On Thu, 2017-06-15 at 12:01 -0700, stan wrote:

> On Thu, 15 Jun 2017 11:34:52 -0700
> Rick Stevens <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > [1] I HATE having to remember to hit "Reply List". The messages came
> > from the list (and list server), and IMHO that's where replies should
> > go by default. GRRRRRR!
>
> I'm not seeing this behavior.  I've been replying the same way for
> years.  Is this something new?  Or is it specific to a particular mail
> client?  I'm not complaining, because I agree with your sentiment above.

I always Reply to List (Ctrl-L in Evolution), except when someone
messes up in a thread and from then on it has to be Reply All.

poc

Re: printing envelopes?

Rick Stevens-4
On 06/15/2017 12:08 PM, Tom Horsley wrote:
> On Thu, 15 Jun 2017 11:34:52 -0700
> Rick Stevens wrote:
>
>> The third tab, "Printer", allows
>> you to select which printer you wish to send it to and the envelope
>> orientation.
>
> You'd think so, but there is no orientation option available. I desperately
> searched for one :-).

Really? At the top of mine LibreOffice version 5.2.7.2), it's on the
"Insert->Envelope...Printer" tab. I see a bunch of icons under the label
"Envelope Orientation". Screenshot here:

        http://imgur.com/a/DaM9q

Re: printing envelopes?

Tom Horsley-5
On Thu, 15 Jun 2017 14:01:40 -0700
Rick Stevens wrote:

> I see a bunch of icons

I see a bunch of icons too, but I sure can't tell what
any of them mean (maybe it has something to do with them
being microscopically small on my UHD monitor :-).

Maybe I'll try a screen magnifier...

Meanwhile, exporting as pdf and selecting landscape
in the evince print dialog is working fine for me.
(An actual printed word, not an obscure icon).

Re: printing envelopes?

Rick Stevens-4
On 06/15/2017 03:33 PM, Tom Horsley wrote:

> On Thu, 15 Jun 2017 14:01:40 -0700
> Rick Stevens wrote:
>
>> I see a bunch of icons
>
> I see a bunch of icons too, but I sure can't tell what
> any of them mean (maybe it has something to do with them
> being microscopically small on my UHD monitor :-).
>
> Maybe I'll try a screen magnifier...
>
> Meanwhile, exporting as pdf and selecting landscape
> in the evince print dialog is working fine for me.
> (An actual printed word, not an obscure icon).

In the screenshot, the icons are (from left to right);

Portrait mode, envelope in upper left corner
Portrait mode, envelope in top center
Portrait mode, envelope in upper right corner
Landscape mode, envelope in upper left corner
Landscape mode, envelope in top center
Landscape mode, envelope in upper right corner

In the landscape modes, the flap is shown with the FOLD of the flap on
the right (folding from right to left):

        |     <  | <<<--- Fold here

Gee, my ASCIIArt is getting better!