livecd-creator -

Bob Goodwin-Fastmail

How do I make a "livecd" from a fedora 27 iso? It used to be done with
an application listed in the menu.

Bob

--
Bob Goodwin - Zuni, Virginia, USA
http://www.qrz.com/db/W2BOD

Re: livecd-creator -

Samuel Sieb
On 02/21/2018 03:51 PM, Bob Goodwin wrote:
> How do I make a "livecd" from a fedora 27 iso? It used to be done with
> an application listed in the menu.

It's not clear to me what you're trying to do.  Are you wanting to write
it to a physical CD or write it to a USB drive or make your own version
of a live CD?

Re: livecd-creator -

Matthew Miller-2
On Wed, Feb 21, 2018 at 06:51:10PM -0500, Bob Goodwin wrote:
> How do I make a "livecd" from a fedora 27 iso? It used to be done
> with an application listed in the menu.

Do you literally want a CD, or do you want USB media?

--
Matthew Miller
<[hidden email]>

Re: livecd-creator -

Bob Goodwin-Fastmail
On 02/21/18 18:56, Matthew Miller wrote:
> Do you literally want a CD, or do you want USB media?

I have a computer that does not want to run from a fedora-27 thumb drive
that I used to install fedora on this the computer I am typing this on.
I would like to "create" with an external usb drive which has worked for
me in the past. I downloaded another copy of the workstation iso
thinking I would do the job with livecd-creator as usual but that seems
to have been dropped?

--
Bob Goodwin - Zuni, Virginia, USA
http://www.qrz.com/db/W2BOD
box10  FEDORA-27/64bit LINUX XFCE Fastmail POP3

Re: livecd-creator -

Ed Greshko-2
On 02/22/18 08:09, Bob Goodwin wrote:
> On 02/21/18 18:56, Matthew Miller wrote:
>> Do you literally want a CD, or do you want USB media?
>
> I have a computer that does not want to run from a fedora-27 thumb drive that I
> used to install fedora on this the computer I am typing this on. I would like to
> "create" with an external usb drive which has worked for me in the past. I
> downloaded another copy of the workstation iso thinking I would do the job with
> livecd-creator as usual but that seems to have been dropped?

A possibility may be unetbootin?

--
A motto of mine is: When in doubt, try it out

Re: livecd-creator -

Philip Rhoades-2
Bob,

On 2018-02-22 13:14, Ed Greshko wrote:

> On 02/22/18 08:09, Bob Goodwin wrote:
>> On 02/21/18 18:56, Matthew Miller wrote:
>>> Do you literally want a CD, or do you want USB media?
>>
>> I have a computer that does not want to run from a fedora-27 thumb
>> drive that I
>> used to install fedora on this the computer I am typing this on. I
>> would like to
>> "create" with an external usb drive which has worked for me in the
>> past. I
>> downloaded another copy of the workstation iso thinking I would do the
>> job with
>> livecd-creator as usual but that seems to have been dropped?

If you have the Fedora ISO file on disk, you can "dd" it to the USB
drive eg:

   dd if=./filename.iso of=/dev/sdc

P.
--
Philip Rhoades

PO Box 896
Cowra  NSW  2794
Australia
E-mail:  [hidden email]

Re: livecd-creator -

Samuel Sieb
On 02/21/2018 04:09 PM, Bob Goodwin wrote:
> I have a computer that does not want to run from a fedora-27 thumb drive
> that I used to install fedora on this the computer I am typing this on.
> I would like to "create" with an external usb drive which has worked for
> me in the past. I downloaded another copy of the workstation iso
> thinking I would do the job with livecd-creator as usual but that seems
> to have been dropped?
I like to use livecd-iso-to-disk from the livecd-tools package.  It
unpacks the iso onto a USB drive with lots of useful options.

Re: livecd-creator -

Joe Zeff-2
On 02/21/2018 09:28 PM, Philip Rhoades wrote:

> If you have the Fedora ISO file on disk, you can "dd" it to the USB
> drive eg:
>
>    dd if=./filename.iso of=/dev/sdc

Assuming, of course, that /dev/sdc points to the correct USB drive.

Re: livecd-creator -

Martin Bříza
On Thu, 22 Feb 2018 01:09:55 +0100, Bob Goodwin <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> On 02/21/18 18:56, Matthew Miller wrote:
>> Do you literally want a CD, or do you want USB media?
>
> I have a computer that does not want to run from a fedora-27 thumb drive
> that I used to install fedora on this the computer I am typing this on.
> I would like to "create" with an external usb drive which has worked for
> me in the past. I downloaded another copy of the workstation iso
> thinking I would do the job with livecd-creator as usual but that seems
> to have been dropped?

I'm still not 100% sure what you want to do but if your plan is to put a
live Fedora image on your flash drive, you can use Fedora Media Writer
(package mediawriter, it replaced liveusb-creator). It can do everything
for you, including downloading the ISO.

Re: livecd-creator -

Bob Goodwin-Fastmail
On 02/22/18 01:14, Samuel Sieb wrote:
> I like to use livecd-iso-to-disk from the livecd-tools package.  It
> unpacks the iso onto a USB drive with lots of useful options.
.

I had installed livecd-tools before posting my query here but could not
get it to work?

Media-writer appears to be the new name of the livecd-creator
application. I installed and used that to create a Fedora27-live on the
external usb hard drive. It was no better than the thumb drive, it seems
this ASRock QC5000-itx-wifi board wont boot from a usb port and I have
not been able to start it with the cmos-boot menu. I suspect it needs to
be reset for usbboot?

I don't think I ever tried this with this board before, I believe it was
a replacement I used for a failed motherboard and it just worked with
the existing hard drives and Fedora21. Now I have a problem. I guess the
solution will be another board, not the same brand!

Thanks to all responding,

Bob

--
Bob Goodwin - Zuni, Virginia, USA
http://www.qrz.com/db/W2BOD
box10  FEDORA-27/64bit LINUX XFCE Fastmail POP3

Re: livecd-creator -

Ahmad Samir
On 22 February 2018 at 20:48, Bob Goodwin <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 02/22/18 01:14, Samuel Sieb wrote:
>>
>> I like to use livecd-iso-to-disk from the livecd-tools package.  It
>> unpacks the iso onto a USB drive with lots of useful options.
>
> .
>
> I had installed livecd-tools before posting my query here but could not get
> it to work?
>
> Media-writer appears to be the new name of the livecd-creator application. I
> installed and used that to create a Fedora27-live on the external usb hard
> drive. It was no better than the thumb drive, it seems this ASRock
> QC5000-itx-wifi board wont boot from a usb port and I have not been able to
> start it with the cmos-boot menu. I suspect it needs to be reset for
> usbboot?
>
> I don't think I ever tried this with this board before, I believe it was a
> replacement I used for a failed motherboard and it just worked with the
> existing hard drives and Fedora21. Now I have a problem. I guess the
> solution will be another board, not the same brand!
>
> Thanks to all responding,
>
> Bob

I suggest you have a look at the manual for that MOBO[1]; it looks
like it supports booting from usb (from reading the "Boot Screen"
section of the manual PDF.

[1] http://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/QC5000-ITXWiFi/#Manual
--
Ahmad Samir

Re: livecd-creator -

Bob Goodwin-Fastmail
On 02/22/18 15:25, Ahmad Samir wrote:
> I suggest you have a look at the manual for that MOBO[1]; it looks
> like it supports booting from usb (from reading the "Boot Screen"
> section of the manual PDF.
>
> [1]http://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/QC5000-ITXWiFi/#Manual
> -- Ahmad Samir

.

I have the [pdf] manual, I just can't get the cmos menu to do anything.
It produces a pretty ASRock logo in the center of the screen and shows
several items in a list below it, Setup F2, and Boot F11, but it
responds to none of them? I'm beginning to think that shutting it down
and bringing it up again has resulted in it's failure. It's been running
24 hours a day forseveral years. I just don't remember when I got it but
it's in an enclosure about three inches high and at the bottom of a
stack, heat may have taken its' toll ...

On 22 February 2018 at 23:13, Bob Goodwin <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 02/22/18 15:25, Ahmad Samir wrote:
>>
>> I suggest you have a look at the manual for that MOBO[1]; it looks
>> like it supports booting from usb (from reading the "Boot Screen"
>> section of the manual PDF.
>>
>> [1]http://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/QC5000-ITXWiFi/#Manual
>> -- Ahmad Samir
>

> .
>
> I have the [pdf] manual, I just can't get the cmos menu to do anything. It
> produces a pretty ASRock logo in the center of the screen and shows several
> items in a list below it, Setup F2, and Boot F11, but it responds to none of
> them? I'm beginning to think that shutting it down and bringing it up again
> has resulted in it's failure. It's been running 24 hours a day forseveral
> years. I just don't remember when I got it but it's in an enclosure about
> three inches high and at the bottom of a stack, heat may have taken its'
> toll ...

That might be "Fast Boot", which is a feature that's supposed to make
booting faster but also means you can't access the firmware settings
at early boot; the manual says that you can't boot from usb if Fast
Boot is enabled.

From the manual:
Fast Boot
Fast Boot minimizes your computer's boot time. In fast mode you may not boot
from an USB storage device. Ultra Fast mode is only supported by Windows 8 and
the VBIOS must support UEFI GOP if you are using an external graphics card.
Please notice that Ultra Fast mode will boot so fast that the only way
to enter this
UEFI Setup Utility is to Clear CMOS or run the Restart to UEFI utility
in Windows.

--
Ahmad Samir

Re: livecd-creator -

Bob Goodwin-Fastmail
On 02/22/18 16:33, Ahmad Samir wrote:

> On 22 February 2018 at 23:13, Bob Goodwin <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> On 02/22/18 15:25, Ahmad Samir wrote:
>>> I suggest you have a look at the manual for that MOBO[1]; it looks
>>> like it supports booting from usb (from reading the "Boot Screen"
>>> section of the manual PDF.
>>>
>>> [1]http://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/QC5000-ITXWiFi/#Manual
>>> -- Ahmad Samir
>>
>> .
>>
>> I have the [pdf] manual, I just can't get the cmos menu to do anything. It
>> produces a pretty ASRock logo in the center of the screen and shows several
>> items in a list below it, Setup F2, and Boot F11, but it responds to none of
>> them? I'm beginning to think that shutting it down and bringing it up again
>> has resulted in it's failure. It's been running 24 hours a day forseveral
>> years. I just don't remember when I got it but it's in an enclosure about
>> three inches high and at the bottom of a stack, heat may have taken its'
>> toll ...
>>
> That might be "Fast Boot", which is a feature that's supposed to make
> booting faster but also means you can't access the firmware settings
> at early boot; the manual says that you can't boot from usb if Fast
> Boot is enabled.
>
>  From the manual:
> Fast Boot
> Fast Boot minimizes your computer's boot time. In fast mode you may not boot
> from an USB storage device. Ultra Fast mode is only supported by Windows 8 and
> the VBIOS must support UEFI GOP if you are using an external graphics card.
> Please notice that Ultra Fast mode will boot so fast that the only way
> to enter this
> UEFI Setup Utility is to Clear CMOS or run the Restart to UEFI utility
> in Windows.

.

Yes it boots fast and it's hard to getto the cmos screen before it goes
to the system disk, takes some fast finger work and even then I can't
catch it consistently ... That may be an indication of my problem then.

I considered clearing the cmos, but if after that I still can't bring up
the setup and boot menus I may have  useless mess. As it is I put it
back to how it was and it is working. I just didn't get to install the
new drives I bought for it. As long as it works I can wait for a new
board. I rely on it for my NFS data. Even if I found the disk with their
utilities I don't have a Windows system to work wit.