linux command "shred"

Fedora List mailing list-2
Hi,
I use 2 systems on my laptop, Windows internal disk, Fedora xx usb connected. My internal disk seems to be bad now. I should give away my laptop for changing the old internal disk to a new one. Before doing that I want to shred the internal windows disk, I have kloned it.. Short silly question: Does the command "shred" also work to shred a Windows disk?  Shred I want to execute on the usb connected Fedora disk to shred the internal Windows disk.
Thanks in advance for help!
Joerg

Re: linux command "shred"

Patrick O'Callaghan-2
On Wed, 2019-12-11 at 11:28 +0000, Joerg Lechner via users wrote:
> Hi,I use 2 systems on my laptop, Windows internal disk, Fedora xx usb connected. My internal disk seems to be bad now. I should give away my laptop for changing the old internal disk to a new one. Before doing that I want to shred the internal windows disk, I have kloned it.. Short silly question: Does the command "shred" also work to shred a Windows disk?  Shred I want to execute on the usb connected Fedora disk to shred the internal Windows disk.Thanks in advance for help!Joerg

You can just run shred on the device file corresponding to the internal
disk (probably /dev/sda in your case, but do check first!)

poc

Re: linux command "shred"

Erik P. Olsen-3
I use a sledgehammer :-)

Erik P. Olsen

On 2019-12-11 at 12:14:37 Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:

> On Wed, 2019-12-11 at 11:28 +0000, Joerg Lechner via users wrote:
> > Hi,I use 2 systems on my laptop, Windows internal disk, Fedora xx usb connected. My
> > internal disk seems to be bad now. I should give away my laptop for changing the old
> > internal disk to a new one. Before doing that I want to shred the internal windows
> > disk, I have kloned it.. Short silly question: Does the command "shred" also work to
> > shred a Windows disk?  Shred I want to execute on the usb connected Fedora disk to
> > shred the internal Windows disk.Thanks in advance for help!Joerg
>
> You can just run shred on the device file corresponding to the internal
> disk (probably /dev/sda in your case, but do check first!)
>
> poc

Erik P. Olsen - Copenhagen, Denmark
Fedora 30/64 bit Linux xfce Claws-Mail POP3 Gramps 5.1.1 Bacula 9.4.4

Re: linux command "shred"

George N. White III
On Wed, 11 Dec 2019 at 08:40, Erik P. Olsen <[hidden email]> wrote:
I use a sledgehammer :-)

A drill press also works, and cleanup is simpler.

--
George N. White III

Re: linux command "shred"

William Oliver
Funny you should mention that. I have a bunch of old laptops I have never gotten around to throwing away because I didn't want to just dump my hard drives somewhere without cleaning them up. I've made a router jig just for that purpose.

billo

On Wed, 2019-12-11 at 08:44 -0400, George N. White III wrote:
On Wed, 11 Dec 2019 at 08:40, Erik P. Olsen <[hidden email]> wrote:
I use a sledgehammer :-)

A drill press also works, and cleanup is simpler.

--
George N. White III

Fedora Code of Conduct:

List Guidelines: