installing Fedora 26 to a SSD

Tim-163
Hi,

Have we got to the stage where the default install options for Fedora 26
work fine with a SSD, or should I be tweaking something?

At the moment I've let it install with whatever parameters it does by
itself.  All I did was change from using LVM to EXT4 (I see absolutely
no advantage to using LVM on a single-disc computer, and a lot of
serious annoyances should I pull out a drive to read it on another
computer).  And went with the boot, system root, and swap partitions
that it offers.

--
Trying out Thunderbird for mail.
5... 4... 3... 2... ONE!  Email has gone

Boilerplate:  All mail to this mailbox is automatically deleted, there
is no point trying to privately email me, I only get to see the messages

Re: installing Fedora 26 to a SSD

Jose Maria Terry Jimenez
El 5/8/17 a las 9:36, Tim escribió:

> Hi,
>
> Have we got to the stage where the default install options for Fedora
> 26 work fine with a SSD, or should I be tweaking something?
>
> At the moment I've let it install with whatever parameters it does by
> itself.  All I did was change from using LVM to EXT4 (I see absolutely
> no advantage to using LVM on a single-disc computer, and a lot of
> serious annoyances should I pull out a drive to read it on another
> computer).  And went with the boot, system root, and swap partitions
> that it offers.

Enable the fstrim timer: "sudo systemctl enable fstrim.timer" to get
TRIM done periodically.

Re: installing Fedora 26 to a SSD

Wolfgang Pfeiffer
On Sat, 2017-08-05 at 17:06 +0930, Tim wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Have we got to the stage where the default install options for Fedora
> 26
> work fine with a SSD, or should I be tweaking something?

Not that I knew about problems regarding such an install. I had my first
install of Fedora (24) to an msata SSD quite a few months ago, and I'm
not aware of any problems that I thought could be related to SSD
architecture. On a second SSD (a "real" SSD, not msata) in the same
computer I have Debian Linux installed - I never even speculated about
whether the fact the disks are SSD's could lead to problems ... :)
(Except that I heard they break without too much announcing of it ... )

> At the moment I've let it install with whatever parameters it does by
> itself.  All I did was change from using LVM to EXT4 (I see
> absolutely
> no advantage to using LVM on a single-disc computer, and a lot of
> serious annoyances should I pull out a drive to read it on another
> computer).  And went with the boot, system root, and swap partitions
> that it offers.

I think I let  the Fedora installer wipe the SSD before partitiong it -
also because MS Windows was on it before - just to make sure of a clean
install.
The only problem with this installation was that the installer at the
end of the install said something like I wouldn't be able to boot the
system. It was wrong: I could boot Fedora. Tho' I have two different --
although with different wordings for them - UEFI boot entries for
Fedora. My guess: it's a UEFI bug, or a feature ... :)

And yes: I also didn't take the LVM partitioning options for the disk.
Not for F24, and not, IINM, for Debian. On Fedora just SWAP, /home, /
and /boot/efi.

HTH,
Wolfgang

On Sat, 2017-08-05 at 15:47 +0200, José María Terry Jiménez wrote:
> El 5/8/17 a las 9:36, Tim escribió:
>
> Enable the fstrim timer: "sudo systemctl enable fstrim.timer" to get
> TRIM done periodically.

Careful when using encrypted SSD's - looks like this written by one of
the authors of the cryptsetup man page:

http://asalor.blogspot.de/2011/08/trim-dm-crypt-problems.html

Wolfgang

On Sat, 2017-08-05 at 17:31 +0200, Wolfgang Pfeiffer wrote:

> On Sat, 2017-08-05 at 15:47 +0200, José María Terry Jiménez wrote:
> > El 5/8/17 a las 9:36, Tim escribió:
> >
> > Enable the fstrim timer: "sudo systemctl enable fstrim.timer" to
> > get
> > TRIM done periodically.
> >

> Careful when using encrypted SSD's - looks like this written by one of
> the authors of the cryptsetup man page:
>
> http://asalor.blogspot.de/2011/08/trim-dm-crypt-problems.html

Addendum: it *looks like* the Fedora 26 trim doesn't touch encrypted
partitions by default when starting a "/usr/sbin/fstrim -av" via
/usr/lib/systemd/system/fstrim.service

Here's the output I got when trying it manually on my encrypted /home
partition:

# fstrim -v /home
fstrim: /home: the discard operation is not supported

So I hope fstrim didn't touch /home .... :)

If this is true then good Milan Broz is working for Redhat ... :)

Anyways: I'd recommend to be careful with trim on encrypted SSD's

Wolfgang

Re: installing Fedora 26 to a SSD

Jonny Heggheim-2
On 08/05/2017 06:12 PM, Wolfgang Pfeiffer wrote:

> If this is true then good Milan Broz is working for Redhat ... :)
>
> Anyways: I'd recommend to be careful with trim on encrypted SSD's
He is also the main contact for the dm-crypt Fedora package.

https://admin.fedoraproject.org/pkgdb/package/rpms/cryptsetup/

Jonny

Re: installing Fedora 26 to a SSD

Stephen Morris
On 8/5/17 5:36 PM, Tim wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Have we got to the stage where the default install options for Fedora
> 26 work fine with a SSD, or should I be tweaking something?
>
> At the moment I've let it install with whatever parameters it does by
> itself.  All I did was change from using LVM to EXT4 (I see absolutely
> no advantage to using LVM on a single-disc computer, and a lot of
> serious annoyances should I pull out a drive to read it on another
> computer).  And went with the boot, system root, and swap partitions
> that it offers.

I have been using Windows Drive C, Fedora /boot and Ubuntu /boot, all on
the same SSD since Fedora 24 and haven't had any issues with
functionality of that setup.

regards,

Steve

Re: installing Fedora 26 to a SSD

Rick Stevens-4
On 08/07/2017 02:30 PM, Stephen Morris wrote:

> On 8/5/17 5:36 PM, Tim wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Have we got to the stage where the default install options for Fedora
>> 26 work fine with a SSD, or should I be tweaking something?
>>
>> At the moment I've let it install with whatever parameters it does by
>> itself.  All I did was change from using LVM to EXT4 (I see absolutely
>> no advantage to using LVM on a single-disc computer, and a lot of
>> serious annoyances should I pull out a drive to read it on another
>> computer).  And went with the boot, system root, and swap partitions
>> that it offers.

For many users, LVM is somewhat irrelevant. I use LVM because I often
end up expanding filesystems by adding PVs to the VGs the LVs are built
on (lots of acronyms there!), but my use cases are outside the normal
desktop users.

The "annoyances" when moving the drive to another system can be reduced
by naming the LVs logically--typically I use the host name as part of
the LV and VG names. Therefore if I have to move an LV from host
"bigdog" to host "hamster" there's little chance of a name collision.

> I have been using Windows Drive C, Fedora /boot and Ubuntu /boot, all on
> the same SSD since Fedora 24 and haven't had any issues with
> functionality of that setup.

My recommendations for SSD:

        Use ext4 filesystems (they don't poke the journal as much as
        JFS or Btrfs).

        Reduce swappiness ("vm.swappiness=1" in /etc/sysctl.conf)

        Put things that change a lot (swap, /var/log, /tmp) on rotating
        media or RAMdisk to reduce writes to SSD

        Use fstrim periodically

And MOST important:

        Back the sucker up REGULARLY AND OFTEN! SSDs tend to die
        suddenly and typically without much warning and it's quite
        difficult (if not impossible) to recover any data on them.

I like SSDs. I like their speed. I don't trust them much with critical
data. I back up my SSDs every night to rotating media. Yes, I'm
paranoid, but it only takes one unrecoverable SSD to make one as crazy
as I am.

I have to leave now. The nice men in the white coats are here...

Re: installing Fedora 26 to a SSD

Tim-163
Tim:
>>> Have we got to the stage where the default install options for
>>> Fedora work fine with a SSD, or should I be tweaking something?

Rick Stevens:
> For many users, LVM is somewhat irrelevant. I use LVM because I often
> end up expanding filesystems by adding PVs to the VGs the LVs are
> built on (lots of acronyms there!), but my use cases are outside the
> normal desktop users.

Yes, I think most users will only have a single drive.  And if they do
add another drive, chances are that they don't want to pretend that
they're one bigger drive.  Not to mention the fun and games of dealing
with a system when half of a large virtual drive dies and takes out all
your data.

> The "annoyances" when moving the drive to another system can be
> reduced by naming the LVs logically--typically I use the host name as
> part of the LV and VG names. Therefore if I have to move an LV from
> host "bigdog" to host "hamster" there's little chance of a name
> collision.

I've done that kind of thing in the past.  But if you forget, name
clashes aren't insurmountable (pun intended), but a pain to have to
deal with.  But even with unique naming, just mounting LVM is more
hassle than other schemes.  You can't just double click on a drive icon
and have the system work it out for you, as if you'd plugged in a USB
stick.  Or, at least on *my* system, that's never worked.  I had to use
command line tools to discover the drive and the names of its parts,
then manually mount the volume then group as two more steps.

> My recommendations for SSD:
>
> Use ext4 filesystems (they don't poke the journal as much as
> JFS or Btrfs).

I went for EXT4 as being closer to what I'm familiar with.  I think
only BTRFS and LVM were the other two options presented by the
installer.

> Reduce swappiness ("vm.swappiness=1" in /etc/sysctl.conf)

I'll have to look into that, I've read about it long ago, but forgotten
all about it.  The quick summary on Wikipedia gives a small range of
example values, that does sound like it's at the extreme end, though I
don't know much actual difference 1 verses 10 versus 60 does.

On my system I have

cat /proc/meminfo
MemTotal:        4045280 kB
MemFree:         1792672 kB
MemAvailable:    2767436 kB
Buffers:          106176 kB
Cached:          1062820 kB
SwapCached:            0 kB
Active:          1410028 kB
Inactive:         572900 kB
Active(anon):     695352 kB
Inactive(anon):   163560 kB
Active(file):     714676 kB
Inactive(file):   409340 kB
Unevictable:          48 kB
Mlocked:              48 kB
SwapTotal:       8388604 kB
SwapFree:        8388604 kB
Dirty:               152 kB
Writeback:             0 kB
AnonPages:        813968 kB
Mapped:           377180 kB
Shmem:             44992 kB
Slab:             158444 kB
SReclaimable:     111848 kB
SUnreclaim:        46596 kB
KernelStack:        7952 kB
PageTables:        39580 kB
NFS_Unstable:          0 kB
Bounce:                0 kB
WritebackTmp:          0 kB
CommitLimit:    10411244 kB
Committed_AS:    4347292 kB
VmallocTotal:   34359738367 kB
VmallocUsed:           0 kB
VmallocChunk:          0 kB
HardwareCorrupted:     0 kB
AnonHugePages:         0 kB
ShmemHugePages:        0 kB
ShmemPmdMapped:        0 kB
CmaTotal:              0 kB
CmaFree:               0 kB
HugePages_Total:       0
HugePages_Free:        0
HugePages_Rsvd:        0
HugePages_Surp:        0
Hugepagesize:       2048 kB
DirectMap4k:      173696 kB
DirectMap2M:     4020224 kB

So I don't know what amount of using swap I need to be able to do.

> Put things that change a lot (swap, /var/log, /tmp) on rotating
> media or RAMdisk to reduce writes to SSD

I only have one disk in the system, so swap is on the SSD, I see the
system automatically set up a tmpfs for /tmp, and /var/log is just an
ordinary directory.

> Use fstrim periodically

That I've briefly looked at, and it's confusing as to whether it's
actually worth using it.

> And MOST important:
>
> Back the sucker up REGULARLY AND OFTEN! SSDs tend to die
> suddenly and typically without much warning and it's quite
> difficult (if not impossible) to recover any data on them.

I tend to not store important stuff on client computers.  It makes
updating easier, and I can carry on working on stuff on any PC, rather
than be tied to the one I stored things on.

> I like SSDs. I like their speed. I don't trust them much with
> critical data.

This is the first time I've used one.  I was very surprised by the 13
second cold boot up of the new installation.  I haven't had a computer
come up that fast since my old Amiga 1200.

I wonder what the longevity is for SSDs that aren't being used (*),
compared to hard drives.

* Such as backing up something and putting the SSD on a shelf.

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -rsvp
Linux 4.11.11-300.fc26.x86_64 #1 SMP Mon Jul 17 16:32:11 UTC 2017 x86_64

Boilerplate:  All mail to my mailbox is automatically deleted.
There is no point trying to privately email me, I only get to see

ZNQR LBH YBBX!