how to prevent google-chrome from starting full screen in gnome3?

how to prevent google-chrome from starting full screen in gnome3?

Amadeus WM
No sure if this is a gnome3 problem or a chrome problem, but it's very
annoying. It was not happening in F26 running Mate. The only somewhat
useful answer I've found on google was this:

https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/chrome/O2riRmf3BCE

which says I have to switch from metro to chrome. Does anyone know how to
do that?

Thanks!

Re: how to prevent google-chrome from starting full screen in gnome3?

Ted Roche-2
"Metro" and "Chrome" are window modes for Microsoft Windows 8. This
doesn't apply to Gnome3 on Fedora.

I believe that Chrome starts in the window condition it was last in:
if you close Chrome in full-screen mode, that's what it starts up in
next time.

To prevent from Chrome starting  in full-window mode, click on
Chrome's top bar, other than on the tabs and buttons, to take it out
of full-window mode (I don't know what this mode is called) before
closing Chrome.

On Thu, Mar 1, 2018 at 5:53 PM, Amadeus WM <[hidden email]> wrote:

> No sure if this is a gnome3 problem or a chrome problem, but it's very
> annoying. It was not happening in F26 running Mate. The only somewhat
> useful answer I've found on google was this:
>
> https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/chrome/O2riRmf3BCE
>
> which says I have to switch from metro to chrome. Does anyone know how to
> do that?
>
> Thanks!

Ted Roche
Ted Roche & Associates, LLC
http://www.tedroche.com

On Fri, 02 Mar 2018 07:40:10 -0500, Ted Roche wrote:

> "Metro" and "Chrome" are window modes for Microsoft Windows 8. This
> doesn't apply to Gnome3 on Fedora.
>
> I believe that Chrome starts in the window condition it was last in:
> if you close Chrome in full-screen mode, that's what it starts up in
> next time.
>
> To prevent from Chrome starting  in full-window mode, click on Chrome's
> top bar, other than on the tabs and buttons, to take it out of
> full-window mode (I don't know what this mode is called) before closing
> Chrome.
>
> On Thu, Mar 1, 2018 at 5:53 PM, Amadeus WM <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>> No sure if this is a gnome3 problem or a chrome problem, but it's very
>> annoying. It was not happening in F26 running Mate. The only somewhat
>> useful answer I've found on google was this:
>>
>> https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/chrome/O2riRmf3BCE
>>
>> which says I have to switch from metro to chrome. Does anyone know how
>> to do that?
>>
>> Thanks!

Re: EXTERNAL: Re: how to prevent google-chrome from starting full screen in gnome3?

Wells, Roger K.
On 03/02/2018 07:51 AM, Amadeus WM wrote:

> On Fri, 02 Mar 2018 07:40:10 -0500, Ted Roche wrote:
>
>> "Metro" and "Chrome" are window modes for Microsoft Windows 8. This
>> doesn't apply to Gnome3 on Fedora.
>>
>> I believe that Chrome starts in the window condition it was last in:
>> if you close Chrome in full-screen mode, that's what it starts up in
>> next time.
>>
>> To prevent from Chrome starting  in full-window mode, click on Chrome's
>> top bar, other than on the tabs and buttons, to take it out of
>> full-window mode (I don't know what this mode is called) before closing
>> Chrome.
>>
>> On Thu, Mar 1, 2018 at 5:53 PM, Amadeus WM <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>> No sure if this is a gnome3 problem or a chrome problem, but it's very
>>> annoying. It was not happening in F26 running Mate. The only somewhat
>>> useful answer I've found on google was this:
>>>
>>> https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/chrome/O2riRmf3BCE
>>>
>>> which says I have to switch from metro to chrome. Does anyone know how
>>> to do that?
>>>
>>> Thanks!

>>> an email to [hidden email]
> I thought so and I tried that too, but it won't remember the last state,
> it always starts full screen. Pan does the same thing. It must be some
> gnome3 setting.

I just did the following;
1. open google chrome.  It did so using full screen.
2. I positioned & sized it at a new location.
3. then exited via the exit option in the drop down menu.
4. restarted chrome and it came up in the position & size that I left it in.

uname -r: 4.15.4-300.fc27.x86_64
gnome-3.26
Google Chrome: Version 64.0.3282.186 (Official Build) (64-bit)

HTH

Roger Wells, P.E.
leidos
221 Third St
Newport, RI 02840
401-847-4210 (voice)
401-849-1585 (fax)

Re: how to prevent google-chrome from starting full screen in gnome3?

Ahmad Samir
On 2 March 2018 at 00:53, Amadeus WM <[hidden email]> wrote:

> No sure if this is a gnome3 problem or a chrome problem, but it's very
> annoying. It was not happening in F26 running Mate. The only somewhat
> useful answer I've found on google was this:
>
> https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/chrome/O2riRmf3BCE
>
> which says I have to switch from metro to chrome. Does anyone know how to
> do that?
>
> Thanks!

By "full screen" do you mean you don't see the title bar at all? or do
you mean the window is maximised?

--
Ahmad Samir

Re: how to prevent google-chrome from starting full screen in gnome3?

Amadeus WM
> By "full screen" do you mean you don't see the title bar at all? or do
> you mean the window is maximised?

maximized.

On Fri, 02 Mar 2018 08:12:55 -0500, Wells, Roger K. wrote:

> On 03/02/2018 07:51 AM, Amadeus WM wrote:
>> On Fri, 02 Mar 2018 07:40:10 -0500, Ted Roche wrote:
>>
>>> "Metro" and "Chrome" are window modes for Microsoft Windows 8. This
>>> doesn't apply to Gnome3 on Fedora.
>>>
>>> I believe that Chrome starts in the window condition it was last in:
>>> if you close Chrome in full-screen mode, that's what it starts up in
>>> next time.
>>>
>>> To prevent from Chrome starting  in full-window mode, click on
>>> Chrome's top bar, other than on the tabs and buttons, to take it out
>>> of full-window mode (I don't know what this mode is called) before
>>> closing Chrome.

>> I thought so and I tried that too, but it won't remember the last
>> state,
>> it always starts full screen. Pan does the same thing. It must be some
>> gnome3 setting.
>
> I just did the following;
> 1. open google chrome.  It did so using full screen.
> 2. I positioned & sized it at a new location.
> 3. then exited via the exit option in the drop down menu.
> 4. restarted chrome and it came up in the position & size that I left it
> in.
>
> uname -r: 4.15.4-300.fc27.x86_64 gnome-3.26 Google Chrome: Version
> 64.0.3282.186 (Official Build) (64-bit)
>
> HTH
>> an email to [hidden email]

Thanks, that worked! I believe when I did that before, I must have had
other chrome windows still open in other workspaces. It's all good now,
thanks!