gnome-shell won't start

Stephen Berg (Contractor)-2
I'm having a rather serious issue getting logged onto my system using
gnome.  GDM starts, I put in user name and password and the login starts
but I never get a desktop loaded and usable.

Fedora 20
gnome-shell-3.10.3-2
Nvidia GT330
NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-331.38.run compiled locally from geforce.com

I've tried the kmod and akmod drivers from RPM Fusion, no difference.  I
can logon using KDE and everything works like I expect.

Tried the same thing on a very similar machine and got the same results.
  The only significant differences are the second system has an Nvidia
GT210, and is using the akmod driver.  The root account can get a
gnome-shell login working and everything works on both systems.

I deleted everything from my home directory that appeared to be gnome
related and tried again, still no luck.

Right now I'm not seeing a .xsession-errors file in my home directory so
kind of hard to troubleshoot.  Is some some rc file that I can tweak so
gnome will log some more verbose status and/or errors? I don't mind
using KDE, but I managed to get to like gnome-shell and some of it's
features and would like to get it functional again.

--
Stephen Berg
Systems Administrator

Re: gnome-shell won't start

g-30

On 02/03/2014 11:40 AM, Stephen Berg (Contractor) wrote:
> I'm having a rather serious issue getting logged onto my system using
> gnome.  GDM starts, I put in user name and password and the login starts
> but I never get a desktop loaded and usable.

being a kde user, i can not suggest to look for.

being a linux user, i can make a couple suggestions for testing.

<>
 > The root account can get a
> gnome-shell login working and everything works on both systems.

because of this, have you tried booting init level 3, login and
use startx.

 > I don't mind using KDE,

does that mean that you have tried kde and it works?

have you tried creating another user to see if a user starting gnome
desktop works?

anything in system logs?

much luck.

--

peace out.

tc.hago.

.

Re: gnome-shell won't start

Ahmad Samir
On 3 February 2014 19:40, Stephen Berg (Contractor) <[hidden email]> wrote:
I'm having a rather serious issue getting logged onto my system using gnome.  GDM starts, I put in user name and password and the login starts but I never get a desktop loaded and usable.

What happens exactly?

Fedora 20
gnome-shell-3.10.3-2
Nvidia GT330
NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-331.38.run compiled locally from geforce.com

I've tried the kmod and akmod drivers from RPM Fusion, no difference.  I can logon using KDE and everything works like I expect.

Tried the same thing on a very similar machine and got the same results.  The only significant differences are the second system has an Nvidia GT210, and is using the akmod driver.  The root account can get a gnome-shell login working and everything works on both systems.

I deleted everything from my home directory that appeared to be gnome related and tried again, still no luck.

As has been posted, I'd try with a new user account.

Right now I'm not seeing a .xsession-errors file in my home directory so kind of hard to troubleshoot.  Is some some rc file that I can tweak so gnome will log some more verbose status and/or errors? I don't mind using KDE, but I managed to get to like gnome-shell and some of it's features and would like to get it functional again.

GDM and gnome-session now log to the system journal so check the logs with e.g. 'journalctl -b'. And also check /var/log/Xorg.0.log .

--
Stephen Berg
Systems Administrator

Ahmad Samir

Re: gnome-shell won't start

Stephen Berg (Contractor)-2
On 02/04/2014 01:23 AM, Ahmad Samir wrote:
On 3 February 2014 19:40, Stephen Berg (Contractor) <[hidden email]> wrote:
I'm having a rather serious issue getting logged onto my system using gnome.  GDM starts, I put in user name and password and the login starts but I never get a desktop loaded and usable.

What happens exactly?
I get a black screen with a mouse cursor.  Nothing else happens after that besides a little drive activity for a minute or so and even that goes away.

As has been posted, I'd try with a new user account.

Tried a new local account on the system and was able to login with no problems.  I'm thinking there's some bit of kruft hanging around in a dot file somewhere that is causing issues.  But finding it is not gonna be easy.

To test I moved my home directory off to a safe location, created an empty home directory in it's place and tried again.  I still get the black screen, mouse cursor and nothing else.  I've looked at "journalctl -b" and there's plenty in there, kind of hard to track down exactly what is relevant and what isn't.

KDE works fine, gnome-shell for root works fine.  It seems to be something about my account, or something in my home directory causing this, but I can't find what is causing this.  Errors and/or warnings aren't jumping out at me in any of the logs.  I'd like to find a way to get GDM and/or Gnome to log what they are doing to a specific file separate from any other logs.  Maybe I can find something to at least get started with troubleshooting.

--
Stephen Berg
Systems Administrator

Re: gnome-shell won't start

Ed Greshko
On 02/04/14 19:55, Stephen Berg (Contractor) wrote:
[...]

One thing you could try is to switch from using GDM to KDM.

One thing that does puzzle me is you said you created a new "local" account and it work.  You then moved your home directory out of the way, created a new home, and it still failed.  Seems like would have also worked.....

Now, another thing you can do....since you have a copy of your home directory....would be to make note of your UID/GID of your old account and then delete it.  Create a new account and specify the UID/GID as before and you should have a "new local account" as you've done before and tested...and it should work.  Then, copy back your home directory in bits and pieces while logging in/out to see if the problem comes back.

--
Getting tired of non-Fedora discussions and self-serving posts

Re: gnome-shell won't start

Stephen Berg (Contractor)-2
On 02/04/2014 06:48 AM, Ed Greshko wrote:
> One thing you could try is to switch from using GDM to KDM.

Tried that this morning and get pretty much the same results.  I can log
into KDE no problem, gnome-shell from KDM just gets me a cursor and a
background image instead of the black screen I got from GDM.

> One thing that does puzzle me is you said you created a new "local"
> account and it work.  You then moved your home directory out of the
> way, created a new home, and it still failed.  Seems like would have
> also worked.....
I created a local account (/etc/passwd|group|shadow) that worked. All
our accounts here are on NIS, usually with a home directory served via
NFS and autofs from a file server.  I've also tried with a local home
directory and NFS home directory without success.

> Now, another thing you can do....since you have a copy of your home
> directory....would be to make note of your UID/GID of your old account
> and then delete it.  Create a new account and specify the UID/GID as
> before and you should have a "new local account" as you've done before
> and tested...and it should work.  Then, copy back your home directory
> in bits and pieces while logging in/out to see if the problem comes back.

My UID/GID match my Common Access Card's EDIPI #, so it's a 32-bit
number and that account is defined on NIS.  We've got more than a few
accounts set up this way and are migrating all of them slowly. It hasn't
caused any problems so far.  I'd be real interested to find out that the
32-bit UID/GID might be causing an issue.  It hadn't until just recently
if it is an issue.  I know that things were working just fine since I
changed my UID to the 32-bit EDIPI # on February 8th, 2011, which would
have been under Fedora 13 I think.  I've changed to new hardware and
kept up to date with Fedora releases the whole time and this issue is
new just this week.

I also did a fresh install of Fedora 20 yesterday.  Over the last 2 or 3
years my system has gone through a couple of fedup's and I used yum to
get to F20 since fedup doesn't seem to like /boot on RAID1. Figured it
was a good time to clean up any kruft that those upgrades might have
left behind.  I only have a few Fedora systems here, we're primarily a
Scientific Linux shop.  I try to keep mine current with Fedora to have
an idea of what RHEL/Centos/SL will be looking like down the road.

--
Stephen Berg
Systems Administrator

Re: gnome-shell won't start

Ed Greshko
On 02/04/14 21:47, Stephen Berg (Contractor) wrote:
> On 02/04/2014 06:48 AM, Ed Greshko wrote:
>> One thing you could try is to switch from using GDM to KDM.
>>
> Tried that this morning and get pretty much the same results.  I can log into KDE no problem, gnome-shell from KDM just gets me a cursor and a background image instead of the black screen I got from GDM.
>
>> One thing that does puzzle me is you said you created a new "local" account and it work.  You then moved your home directory out of the way, created a new home, and it still failed.  Seems like would have also worked.....
> I created a local account (/etc/passwd|group|shadow) that worked. All our accounts here are on NIS, usually with a home directory served via NFS and autofs from a file server.  I've also tried with a local home directory and NFS home directory without success.

I see....  Sounds like you may have some strange interaction between NIS/NFS and GNOME.

Have you tried booting your F20 system to run level 3, logging in, and then trying to run "startx" to see if maybe it spits out anything useful?

On 02/04/2014 07:59 AM, Ed Greshko wrote:
> I see....  Sounds like you may have some strange interaction between NIS/NFS and GNOME.
>
> Have you tried booting your F20 system to run level 3, logging in, and then trying to run "startx" to see if maybe it spits out anything useful?
Just tried that.  Still get nothing but the black screen and cursor.  In
my home directory I have a .xsession-errors file but it's zero byte.
Gonna get one of my co-workers to try his account on my machine and see
what happens if he'll stay in the office long enough for me to conscript
him.  (He's the windows admin so doesn't use his linux side account very
often.)

--
Stephen Berg
Systems Administrator

Re: gnome-shell won't start

Ahmad Samir
On 4 February 2014 13:55, Stephen Berg (Contractor) <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

You can filter the output:
journalctl /usr/bin/gnome-session -b

or keep 'journalctl --full -f' running then log in, (-f makes it keep printing new logs in the terminal).

KDE works fine, gnome-shell for root works fine.  It seems to be something about my account, or something in my home directory causing this, but I can't find what is causing this.  Errors and/or warnings aren't jumping out at me in any of the logs.  I'd like to find a way to get GDM and/or Gnome to log what they are doing to a specific file separate from any other logs.  Maybe I can find something to at least get started with troubleshooting.

--
Stephen Berg
Systems Administrator
NRL Code: 7320
Office: 228-688-5738

Ahmad Samir

Re: gnome-shell won't start (Solved)

Stephen Berg (Contractor)-2
Turns out I had an old dot file that was setting LANG=en_US, when it
should have been en_US.UTF-8.  Once I hunted that down and fixed it I
got logged into gnome-shell with no problems.

--
Stephen Berg
Systems Administrator

Re: gnome-shell won't start

Joe Zeff-2
On 02/04/2014 03:55 AM, Stephen Berg (Contractor) wrote:
> I get a black screen with a mouse cursor.  Nothing else happens after
> that besides a little drive activity for a minute or so and even that
> goes away.

I use Xfce.  Recently, on my desktop only (F19) it's been doing
something odd: if I've been away long enough that xscreensaver has
blanked the screen, the monitor's LED will show that it's active, but
the screen is still blank, although sometimes it will come back properly
for less than a second, then blank again.  I've found that if I use
^Alt-F2, I'll get a text console with a login prompt; if I go right back
with ^Alt-F1, the screen's back to normal.  I mention this only because
you might try the same trick because the worst thing that can happen is
it doesn't do any good for you.