gedit/editor with autosave

Alex Regan
Hi,
I used gedit frequently for note taking on a fedora27 system. The
latest kernels have been quite unstable for me here (plug in a USB
stick and the whole thing crashes, for example), taking down all my
unsaved notes with it.

Is there a simple, lightweight graphical editor that I can replace
gedit with and has more features to autosave and prevent losing data?

I don't need (want) the features of libreoffice or another more
advanced editor. Maybe even a graphical front-end to vim that's as
quick and lightweight?

Re: EXTERNAL: gedit/editor with autosave

Wells, Roger K.
On 02/05/2018 03:00 PM, Alex wrote:

> Hi,
> I used gedit frequently for note taking on a fedora27 system. The
> latest kernels have been quite unstable for me here (plug in a USB
> stick and the whole thing crashes, for example), taking down all my
> unsaved notes with it.
>
> Is there a simple, lightweight graphical editor that I can replace
> gedit with and has more features to autosave and prevent losing data?
>
> I don't need (want) the features of libreoffice or another more
> advanced editor. Maybe even a graphical front-end to vim that's as
> quick and lightweight?
I've been using GVIM for years.  You might want to try it out.

Roger Wells, P.E.
leidos
221 Third St
Newport, RI 02840
401-847-4210 (voice)
401-849-1585 (fax)

Re: gedit/editor with autosave

Garry Williams
On Mon, Feb 5, 2018 at 2:56 PM, Alex <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Is there a simple, lightweight graphical editor that I can replace
> gedit with and has more features to autosave and prevent losing data?

vim(-enhanced)

Install vim-X11 for a graphical version, although, for note taking, I
would just use a terminal.

--
Garry Williams

On Mon, Feb 5, 2018 at 3:45 PM, Garry Williams <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 5, 2018 at 2:56 PM, Alex <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Is there a simple, lightweight graphical editor that I can replace
>> gedit with and has more features to autosave and prevent losing data?
>
> vim(-enhanced)
>
> Install vim-X11 for a graphical version, although, for note taking, I
> would just use a terminal.

I really love (need) the multi-tab capability and the ability to
display the filename I'm currently working on in gedit as well. It's
looking increasingly likely I'll have to use libreoffice.

Re: gedit/editor with autosave

Ahmad Samir
On 5 February 2018 at 21:56, Alex <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi,
> I used gedit frequently for note taking on a fedora27 system. The
> latest kernels have been quite unstable for me here (plug in a USB
> stick and the whole thing crashes, for example), taking down all my
> unsaved notes with it.
>
> Is there a simple, lightweight graphical editor that I can replace
> gedit with and has more features to autosave and prevent losing data?

I looked at gedit-3.22.1 on my system, and in Preferences -> Editor
there's an option to "Autosave files". You mean that option doesn't
work for you?

FWIW you may have a look at kate (a KDE/Qt app), it creates a hidden
file *.kate-swp in the directory where the file you're editing exists
and usually if it crashed and didn't close properly it will alert you
the next time you open that file that it wasn't saved properly and
give you an option to "restore" the file. And it supports tabs.

[..]

--
Ahmad Samir

Re: gedit/editor with autosave

Rami Rosen-3
Hi,
You may want to take a look at JEdit. It has auto backup feature which lets you choose the time interval for backups. It has tabs and it has also many plugins. It is java based editor.
Regards,
Rami Rosen

בתאריך 5 בפבר׳ 2018 23:28,‏ "Ahmad Samir" <[hidden email]> כתב:
On 5 February 2018 at 21:56, Alex <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi,
> I used gedit frequently for note taking on a fedora27 system. The
> latest kernels have been quite unstable for me here (plug in a USB
> stick and the whole thing crashes, for example), taking down all my
> unsaved notes with it.
>
> Is there a simple, lightweight graphical editor that I can replace
> gedit with and has more features to autosave and prevent losing data?

I looked at gedit-3.22.1 on my system, and in Preferences -> Editor
there's an option to "Autosave files". You mean that option doesn't
work for you?

FWIW you may have a look at kate (a KDE/Qt app), it creates a hidden
file *.kate-swp in the directory where the file you're editing exists
and usually if it crashed and didn't close properly it will alert you
the next time you open that file that it wasn't saved properly and
give you an option to "restore" the file. And it supports tabs.

[..]

--
Ahmad Samir

Re: gedit/editor with autosave

Patrick O'Callaghan-2
On Mon, 2018-02-05 at 16:06 -0500, Alex wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Mon, Feb 5, 2018 at 3:45 PM, Garry Williams <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > On Mon, Feb 5, 2018 at 2:56 PM, Alex <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > > Is there a simple, lightweight graphical editor that I can replace
> > > gedit with and has more features to autosave and prevent losing data?
> >
> > vim(-enhanced)
> >
> > Install vim-X11 for a graphical version, although, for note taking, I
> > would just use a terminal.
>
> I really love (need) the multi-tab capability and the ability to
> display the filename I'm currently working on in gedit as well. It's
> looking increasingly likely I'll have to use libreoffice.

Kate (the KDE editor) does that, and has syntax-directed plugins plus
multi-file session support.

poc

Re: gedit/editor with autosave

Richard England
On 02/05/2018 01:06 PM, Alex wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Mon, Feb 5, 2018 at 3:45 PM, Garry Williams <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> On Mon, Feb 5, 2018 at 2:56 PM, Alex <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Is there a simple, lightweight graphical editor that I can replace
>>> gedit with and has more features to autosave and prevent losing data?
>> vim(-enhanced)
>>
>> Install vim-X11 for a graphical version, although, for note taking, I
>> would just use a terminal.
> I really love (need) the multi-tab capability and the ability to
> display the filename I'm currently working on in gedit as well. It's
> looking increasingly likely I'll have to use libreoffice.

You can use tab pages in Gvim
http://vim.wikia.com/wiki/Using_tab_pages

By default the vim swap file is written to after either 200 characters
are typed or 4 seconds of inactivity has elapsed. The swap file writes
are very fast and recovery is quite simple.

On Mon, Feb 5, 2018 at 4:28 PM, Ahmad Samir <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 5 February 2018 at 21:56, Alex <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi,
>> I used gedit frequently for note taking on a fedora27 system. The
>> latest kernels have been quite unstable for me here (plug in a USB
>> stick and the whole thing crashes, for example), taking down all my
>> unsaved notes with it.
>>
>> Is there a simple, lightweight graphical editor that I can replace
>> gedit with and has more features to autosave and prevent losing data?
>>

> I looked at gedit-3.22.1 on my system, and in Preferences -> Editor
> there's an option to "Autosave files". You mean that option doesn't
> work for you?

I recall seeing that, but I don't think it autosaves on unnamed files.
Many times I use it as a scratch pad. Now, however, I can't even find
the Preferences option. I only have a hamburger menu and "Save" along
the top-right and Open pulldown and a + to open a new document.

> FWIW you may have a look at kate (a KDE/Qt app), it creates a hidden
> file *.kate-swp in the directory where the file you're editing exists
> and usually if it crashed and didn't close properly it will alert you
> the next time you open that file that it wasn't saved properly and
> give you an option to "restore" the file. And it supports tabs.

This sounds interesting, thanks.

Re: gedit/editor with autosave

Alex Regan
Hi,

>> FWIW you may have a look at kate (a KDE/Qt app), it creates a hidden
>> file *.kate-swp in the directory where the file you're editing exists
>> and usually if it crashed and didn't close properly it will alert you
>> the next time you open that file that it wasn't saved properly and
>> give you an option to "restore" the file. And it supports tabs.
>
> This sounds interesting, thanks.

Okay, tried out kate. I see it created the .kate-swp file when I
intentionally killed it, but it didn't prompt me to open it after
restarting.

It also appears to only create this recovery file if the document was
saved and given a name at some point. Sometimes it's just a
cut-and-paste buffer that I leave there until I can get back to it the
next day, but sometimes (especially within the last few months), the
computer doesn't come back from sleep or it just spontaneously crashes
with some kernel failure (not a hardware problem) so I'd like to not
have to be so concerned with saving these in some temporary file like
I do with vi.

Ideas on a configuration option or what I could be doing wrong that it
didn't prompt me to reload the doc?

Also, how can I replace gedit in the Applications pull-down on the
desktop with kate?