Quantcast

fedup-cli failed to upgrade from 18 to 19

fedup-cli failed to upgrade from 18 to 19

Mateusz Marzantowicz
I don't quite understand this error that occurred during Fedora upgrade.

I did: fedup-cli --network 19, the result is:

Upgrade test failed with the following problems:
insufficient disk space
  need 150M free on / (1.2G free)
fedup ERROR: Upgrade test failed.

It needs 150 M but it states it has 1.2G available. So, is 150M > 1.2G ????

Mateusz Marzantowicz

Re: fedup-cli failed to upgrade from 18 to 19

Martin Airs-2
On Tuesday 04 Jun 2013 21:42:06 Mateusz Marzantowicz wrote:

> I don't quite understand this error that occurred during Fedora upgrade.
>
> I did: fedup-cli --network 19, the result is:
>
> Upgrade test failed with the following problems:
> insufficient disk space
>   need 150M free on / (1.2G free)
> fedup ERROR: Upgrade test failed.
>

> It needs 150 M but it states it has 1.2G available. So, is 150M > 1.2G ????
>

> Mateusz Marzantowicz
maybe it actually need 1.35G free to perform the update??

it probably needs to download lots of rpms, can you put /var/cache/yum onto a
bigger partition??

Martin

On 04.06.2013 21:54, Martin Airs wrote:
On Tuesday 04 Jun 2013 21:42:06 Mateusz Marzantowicz wrote:
I don't quite understand this error that occurred during Fedora upgrade.

I did: fedup-cli --network 19, the result is:

Upgrade test failed with the following problems:
insufficient disk space
  need 150M free on / (1.2G free)
fedup ERROR: Upgrade test failed.

It needs 150 M but it states it has 1.2G available. So, is 150M > 1.2G ????

Mateusz Marzantowicz
maybe it actually need 1.35G free to perform the update??

it probably needs to download lots of rpms, can you put /var/cache/yum onto a
bigger partition??

Martin

I can't. Disk layout is fixed (but if all fails, I can try to mount /var/cache/yum on some USB disk). I'm doing massive cleanup now on my / (root).

This still does not explain this error message. It should tell me what is the actual disk requirement and what is available to fedup so I can compare and fix it. Now I read I have 1.2G but it failed because of not having 150M of free space.

Mateusz Marzantowicz

Re: fedup-cli failed to upgrade from 18 to 19

Frank Murphy
On Tue, 04 Jun 2013 22:07:29 +0200
Mateusz Marzantowicz <[hidden email]> wrote:
. Now I read I have 1.2G but it failed
> because of not having 150M of free space.

You might have but did you
"df -h /"

Frank - I check for new mail app. 20min
www.frankly3d.com

On 04.06.2013 22:14, Frank Murphy wrote:

> On Tue, 04 Jun 2013 22:07:29 +0200
> Mateusz Marzantowicz <[hidden email]> wrote:
> . Now I read I have 1.2G but it failed
>> because of not having 150M of free space.
>>

> You might have but did you
> "df -h /"

Yes, it confirms that there is 1.2G of free space. I've managed to
enlarge free space to more than 5G, it should be enough to upgrade. I'm
running fedup-cli once again.

On Tuesday 04 Jun 2013 22:07:29 Mateusz Marzantowicz wrote:

> I can't. Disk layout is fixed (but if all fails, I can try to mount
> /var/cache/yum on some USB disk). I'm doing massive cleanup now on my /
> (root).
>
> This still does not explain this error message. It should tell me what
> is the actual disk requirement and what is available to fedup so I can
> compare and fix it. Now I read I have 1.2G but it failed because of not
> having 150M of free space.
>

> Mateusz Marzantowicz
sometimes what I do is make /home/martin/yum as my /home is on a bigger
partition

then symlink, ln -s /var/cache/yum /home/martin/yum

and as I say the message maybe telling you that you need an extra 150mb of
space on top of your 1.2G, 1.5G + 150M = 1.35G

On 04.06.2013 21:54, Martin Airs wrote:
> maybe it actually need 1.35G free to perform the update??

but yes I do understand that message is confusing :)

Martin

Re: fedup-cli failed to upgrade from 18 to 19

Reindl Harald-2

Am 04.06.2013 22:21, schrieb Mateusz Marzantowicz:

> On 04.06.2013 22:14, Frank Murphy wrote:
>> On Tue, 04 Jun 2013 22:07:29 +0200
>> Mateusz Marzantowicz <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> . Now I read I have 1.2G but it failed
>>> because of not having 150M of free space.
>>>

>> You might have but did you
>> "df -h /"
>>

> Yes, it confirms that there is 1.2G of free space. I've managed to
> enlarge free space to more than 5G, it should be enough to upgrade. I'm
> running fedup-cli once again
1.2 GB is *way too less* on non-stripped-down setups

* /var/cache/yum
* unpacking of packages
* temporary twice allocated space for updated but open files until reboot

Re: fedup-cli failed to upgrade from 18 to 19

Richard Vickery
On Tue, Jun 4, 2013 at 1:22 PM, Martin Airs <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Tuesday 04 Jun 2013 22:07:29 Mateusz Marzantowicz wrote:
>>
>> I can't. Disk layout is fixed (but if all fails, I can try to mount
>> /var/cache/yum on some USB disk). I'm doing massive cleanup now on my /
>> (root).
>>
>> This still does not explain this error message. It should tell me what
>> is the actual disk requirement and what is available to fedup so I can
>> compare and fix it. Now I read I have 1.2G but it failed because of not
>> having 150M of free space.
>>

>> Mateusz Marzantowicz
>
> sometimes what I do is make /home/martin/yum as my /home is on a bigger
> partition
>
> then symlink, ln -s /var/cache/yum /home/martin/yum
>
> and as I say the message maybe telling you that you need an extra 150mb of
> space on top of your 1.2G, 1.5G + 150M = 1.35G
>
> On 04.06.2013 21:54, Martin Airs wrote:
>> maybe it actually need 1.35G free to perform the update??
>
> but yes I do understand that message is confusing :)
>
> Martin

Martin:

You may want to try this if you are still having troubles:

$ sudo fedup --network 19 --debuglog=/var/log/fedupdebug.log

this is what I did; to me, the command suggested that was relayed
through the current email didn't make sense.

Hope this helps,

Richard

On 04.06.2013 22:23, Reindl Harald wrote:

Am 04.06.2013 22:21, schrieb Mateusz Marzantowicz:
On 04.06.2013 22:14, Frank Murphy wrote:
On Tue, 04 Jun 2013 22:07:29 +0200
Mateusz Marzantowicz [hidden email] wrote:
. Now I read I have 1.2G but it failed
because of not having 150M of free space.

You might have but did you
"df -h /"

Yes, it confirms that there is 1.2G of free space. I've managed to
enlarge free space to more than 5G, it should be enough to upgrade. I'm
running fedup-cli once again
1.2 GB is *way too less* on non-stripped-down setups

* /var/cache/yum
* unpacking of packages
* temporary twice allocated space for updated but open files until reboot

Now, I know that 1.2GB is too less for fedup to do it's job. After some cleanup on root partition (in my case /var is on /) I was able to upgrade to Fedora 19.

My original intention was to discuss error messages produced by fedup-cli which was misleading for me. Maybe it stated it needs 150M of free space *more*, but I don't know for sure. I must check fedup's source code.

Mateusz Marzantowicz

Re: fedup-cli failed to upgrade from 18 to 19

Joe Zeff-2
On 06/05/2013 12:48 PM, Mateusz Marzantowicz wrote:
> Now, I know that 1.2GB is too less for fedup to do it's job. After some
> cleanup on root partition (in my case /var is on /) I was able to
> upgrade to Fedora 19.

If you remember, how much free space did you have when it worked?  It
might help others to know.

> My original intention was to discuss error messages produced by
> fedup-cli which was misleading for me. Maybe it stated it needs 150M of
> free space *more*, but I don't know for sure. I must check fedup's
> source code.

I think it's fairly safe to assume that that's what it meant, after the
fact.  If you can verify it, however, you might want to report it via
Bugzilla as the current form of the message is very misleading.

On 05.06.2013 22:13, Joe Zeff wrote:
> On 06/05/2013 12:48 PM, Mateusz Marzantowicz wrote:
>> Now, I know that 1.2GB is too less for fedup to do it's job. After some
>> cleanup on root partition (in my case /var is on /) I was able to
>> upgrade to Fedora 19.
>>

> If you remember, how much free space did you have when it worked?  It
> might help others to know.

It was something between 4 GB and 5.3 GB. I was also checking  disk
usage during upgrade and I can confirm that after all packages where
downloaded I had about 4 GB of free space on my root partition. I can't
tell how much more of this space was used during whole installation
because it took about 5 hours to upgrade my eeepc and I wasn't that
interested to stay and monitor this.

Mateusz Marzantowicz

Re: fedup-cli failed to upgrade from 18 to 19

Mateusz Marzantowicz
On 05.06.2013 22:13, Joe Zeff wrote:
> On 06/05/2013 12:48 PM, Mateusz Marzantowicz wrote:
>
> I think it's fairly safe to assume that that's what it meant, after
> the fact.  If you can verify it, however, you might want to report it
> via Bugzilla as the current form of the message is very misleading.

This bug was fixed 2 month ago:
https://github.com/wgwoods/fedup/commit/2b72f59d44fce59c2722fa12bafe440d480dd979

fedup version in Fedora 18 is outdated.

Mateusz Marzantowicz