dual boot Windows10 fedora28

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
26 messages Options
12
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

dual boot Windows10 fedora28

Peter Lesterhuis
Hi,

I purchased an Asus laptop with 2 hard drives (SSD 256 GB and HDD 1 TB).
Windows10 was preinstalled on the SSD and the HDD drive is used for data.

I wanted to install fedora alongside Windows.
So I shrinked the partition on the SSD drive (sdb)  and also the partition on the HDD drive (sda).
I installed fedora on the new partition of the SDD drive.

So far so good. I can boot into Windows as well as Fedora.
Now I want to have /home, /usr/ and/ /tmp on the HDD drive, which I intend to use as data-drive.
I created a mountpoint for the new partition of the HDD drive (sudo mkdir /mnt/sda2 and sudo mount /dev/sda2 /mnt/sda2).
Now I am stuck. This is beyond my (limited) skills.
How do I realize that /home, /usr and and /tmp wil be stored on the HDD?
I need a step-by-step tutorial to proceed.
Thanks in advance.

Peter




_______________________________________________
users mailing list -- [hidden email]
To unsubscribe send an email to [hidden email]
Fedora Code of Conduct: https://getfedora.org/code-of-conduct.html
List Guidelines: https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
List Archives: https://lists.fedoraproject.org/archives/list/users@.../message/4W4TPAG7Y6XSPONGVRESSDVMSMZMHCUC/
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: dual boot Windows10 fedora28

stan
On Sat, 2 Jun 2018 20:03:59 +0200 (CEST)
"[hidden email]" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
> I purchased an Asus laptop with 2 hard drives (SSD 256 GB and HDD 1
> TB). Windows10 was preinstalled on the SSD and the HDD drive is used
> for data. I wanted to install fedora alongside Windows.
> So I shrinked the partition on the SSD drive (sdb)  and also the
> partition on the HDD drive (sda). I installed fedora on the new
> partition of the SDD drive. So far so good. I can boot into Windows
> as well as Fedora. Now I want to have /home, /usr/ and/ /tmp on the
> HDD drive, which I intend to use as data-drive. I created a
> mountpoint for the new partition of the HDD drive (sudo
> mkdir /mnt/sda2 and sudo mount /dev/sda2 /mnt/sda2). Now I am stuck.
> This is beyond my (limited) skills. How do I realize that /home, /usr
> and and /tmp wil be stored on the HDD? I need a step-by-step tutorial
> to proceed. Thanks in advance. Peter

I don't do this, so I'll just point you in the right direction.

First, don't use the drive id to mount partitions.  Run /usr/sbin/blkid
and use the UUID in /etc/fstab, in lines like this.

UUID=6fce1ad7-4382-4634-8a62-7ac8d707f5ff /mnt/s2b3               ext4    defaults        0 2

And you won't mount at /mnt/sda2, you'll mount at /home, /usr /tmp in
order to do what you want. You'll have to create those directories
under your new partition, and make sure they have the correct
parameters (the same as /usr and /home have under /).

Some caveats.

/tmp is a temporary directory in that it is created each boot.  Not sure
how well your separate mount point will play with that default behavior.

I vaguely recall that /usr is required to be on the same partition
as /, in order for the kernel to find it during boot.  This is because
everything is now under /usr (libraries, binaries, etc.)  If that is
true, a separate /usr won't fly.

Finally, these new partitions don't replace the existing partitions
under / (except for /tmp).  So all the space they are using will still
be used, unless you clean it up after your new partitions are in place.

Someone else here might be able to give you better instructions (and
correct any errors I've made).
_______________________________________________
users mailing list -- [hidden email]
To unsubscribe send an email to [hidden email]
Fedora Code of Conduct: https://getfedora.org/code-of-conduct.html
List Guidelines: https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
List Archives: https://lists.fedoraproject.org/archives/list/users@.../message/55QUAAO5ESAGWVCEPL4DAJUQV3PWWCUV/
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: dual boot Windows10 fedora28

Ahmad Samir
In reply to this post by Peter Lesterhuis
On 2 June 2018 at 20:03, [hidden email]
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I purchased an Asus laptop with 2 hard drives (SSD 256 GB and HDD 1 TB).
> Windows10 was preinstalled on the SSD and the HDD drive is used for data.
>
> I wanted to install fedora alongside Windows.
> So I shrinked the partition on the SSD drive (sdb)  and also the partition
> on the HDD drive (sda).
> I installed fedora on the new partition of the SDD drive.
>
> So far so good. I can boot into Windows as well as Fedora.
> Now I want to have /home, /usr/ and/ /tmp on the HDD drive, which I intend
> to use as data-drive.
> I created a mountpoint for the new partition of the HDD drive (sudo mkdir
> /mnt/sda2 and sudo mount /dev/sda2 /mnt/sda2).
> Now I am stuck. This is beyond my (limited) skills.
> How do I realize that /home, /usr and and /tmp wil be stored on the HDD?
> I need a step-by-step tutorial to proceed.

It's not an answer to your question exactly, but I wouldn't move any
of /home, /usr or /tmp to the HDD:
- /tmp is mounted as tmpfs by default, so technically it's in the RAM
not on any disk
- /usr and /home are mostly where, almost any, app is going to load
files from when you start it for the first time after logging in;
IMHO, to make full use of an SSD, leave these two partitions be, it
_should_ make for a noticeable difference in app loading times.

What you could do to save some space on the SSD is create a new
partition on the HDD, and keep e.g. music, video, basically any large
files, on it, and just access them from there.

IIUC, SSD's are more resilient nowadays than they used to be, so just
make use of the I/O speed boost.

You can of course research the technical specs of the SSD you have and
see what the manufacturer has posted about the optimal/expected amount
of data that can be written to it in during its lifetime and plan
accordingly.

Assuming the file system is ext4, you can get an idea about the
average writes, to the SSD, per day by examining[1]:
$ cat /sys/fs/ext4/sdXX/lifetime_write_kbytes
$ cat /sys/fs/ext4/sdXX/session_write_kbytes

[1]https://www.spinics.net/lists/linux-ext4/msg16331.html

--
Ahmad Samir
_______________________________________________
users mailing list -- [hidden email]
To unsubscribe send an email to [hidden email]
Fedora Code of Conduct: https://getfedora.org/code-of-conduct.html
List Guidelines: https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
List Archives: https://lists.fedoraproject.org/archives/list/users@.../message/XY3CM5QLUL2RNVLASD7G2BWMGBAIKD5S/
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: dual boot Windows10 fedora28

Samuel Sieb
In reply to this post by Peter Lesterhuis
On 06/02/2018 11:03 AM, [hidden email] wrote:
> So far so good. I can boot into Windows as well as Fedora.
> Now I want to have /home, /usr/ and/ /tmp on the HDD drive, which I
> intend to use as data-drive.
> I created a mountpoint for the new partition of the HDD drive (sudo
> mkdir /mnt/sda2 and sudo mount /dev/sda2 /mnt/sda2).

The HDD is the primary drive and the SSD is secondary?  That does
complicate things a bit unless the BIOS is happy booting off the
secondary drive.  It does sound like it is working because it seems
that's how Windows is booting.

> Now I am stuck. This is beyond my (limited) skills.
> How do I realize that /home, /usr and and /tmp wil be stored on the HDD?
> I need a step-by-step tutorial to proceed.

I would suggest the easiest way would be to reinstall Fedora and use one
of the custom disk layout options.  Then you can pick where you want
your /home to be.  If the installer put /home on the SSD, then you
should delete all the Fedora partitions on the SSD and put / and swap on
there.

As others have said, /usr should stay on the SSD and /tmp is virtual
anyway.  /home is fine to go on the HDD, it's not going to slow things down.
_______________________________________________
users mailing list -- [hidden email]
To unsubscribe send an email to [hidden email]
Fedora Code of Conduct: https://getfedora.org/code-of-conduct.html
List Guidelines: https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
List Archives: https://lists.fedoraproject.org/archives/list/users@.../message/OUS5SSXU7SEL36FO4XOTWDCAHITLGVCY/
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: dual boot Windows10 fedora28

Ahmad Samir
On 3 June 2018 at 07:00, Samuel Sieb <[hidden email]> wrote:
[..]

> /home is fine to go on the HDD, it's not going to slow things down.
>

Actually it would make a rather noticeable difference, I didn't
measure exactly how much, in some apps loading times, e.g.:
- Firefox will read/load (and write) the user's profile from
~/.mozilla, having it on the SSD should be beneficial
- Opening an ePub in e.g. Calibre, having the file on the SSD, it's faster
- Even just opening a folder in Dolphin, the folders that reside on
the HDD (which are symlinked in my ~/) open a little bit slower than
the ones on the SSD

My point is, if you have an SSD, make use of the speed (otherwise why
shell out and get one in the first place).

--
Ahmad Samir
_______________________________________________
users mailing list -- [hidden email]
To unsubscribe send an email to [hidden email]
Fedora Code of Conduct: https://getfedora.org/code-of-conduct.html
List Guidelines: https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
List Archives: https://lists.fedoraproject.org/archives/list/users@.../message/7PEEWSCCPBHV7TNAV4V4FZQXEVUDG3TP/
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: dual boot Windows10 fedora28

Patrick O'Callaghan-2
On Sun, 2018-06-03 at 11:39 +0200, Ahmad Samir wrote:

> On 3 June 2018 at 07:00, Samuel Sieb <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [..]
>
> > /home is fine to go on the HDD, it's not going to slow things down.
> >
>
> Actually it would make a rather noticeable difference, I didn't
> measure exactly how much, in some apps loading times, e.g.:
> - Firefox will read/load (and write) the user's profile from
> ~/.mozilla, having it on the SSD should be beneficial
> - Opening an ePub in e.g. Calibre, having the file on the SSD, it's faster
> - Even just opening a folder in Dolphin, the folders that reside on
> the HDD (which are symlinked in my ~/) open a little bit slower than
> the ones on the SSD
>
> My point is, if you have an SSD, make use of the speed (otherwise why
> shell out and get one in the first place).

I have an SSD as root and boot. I find it gives dramatically faster
boot times and general DE startup, and presumably faster swap if that
ever needs to be used. I guess it also impacts on temp file usage
though I haven't measured it.

poc
_______________________________________________
users mailing list -- [hidden email]
To unsubscribe send an email to [hidden email]
Fedora Code of Conduct: https://getfedora.org/code-of-conduct.html
List Guidelines: https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
List Archives: https://lists.fedoraproject.org/archives/list/users@.../message/4I5AWYWMU6VZ7Y54N4ZFVDSMFNBX7J3J/
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: dual boot Windows10 fedora28

Samuel Sieb
In reply to this post by Ahmad Samir
On 06/03/2018 02:39 AM, Ahmad Samir wrote:

> On 3 June 2018 at 07:00, Samuel Sieb <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [..]
>
>> /home is fine to go on the HDD, it's not going to slow things down.
>>
>
> Actually it would make a rather noticeable difference, I didn't
> measure exactly how much, in some apps loading times, e.g.:
> - Firefox will read/load (and write) the user's profile from
> ~/.mozilla, having it on the SSD should be beneficial
> - Opening an ePub in e.g. Calibre, having the file on the SSD, it's faster
> - Even just opening a folder in Dolphin, the folders that reside on
> the HDD (which are symlinked in my ~/) open a little bit slower than
> the ones on the SSD

"a little bit slower" is my point.  A typical user is not going to
notice, but it depends on the usage.  In my case, doing development on a
massive Java project in Eclipse, yes, having it on an SSD makes a huge
difference.

> My point is, if you have an SSD, make use of the speed (otherwise why
> shell out and get one in the first place).

In this case, the SSD is already being shared between Windows and
Fedora, so there is not going to be a lot of space.  It makes more sense
to put the / partition on the SSD to take advantage of the biggest speed
up and use the large HDD for user files.
_______________________________________________
users mailing list -- [hidden email]
To unsubscribe send an email to [hidden email]
Fedora Code of Conduct: https://getfedora.org/code-of-conduct.html
List Guidelines: https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
List Archives: https://lists.fedoraproject.org/archives/list/users@.../message/PRBHV5CQ6SM4FKN6NJ5FNXXHA43VNE6A/
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: dual boot Windows10 fedora28

Peter Lesterhuis
In reply to this post by Peter Lesterhuis
> And you won't mount at /mnt/sda2, you'll mount at /home, /usr /tmp in
> order to do what you want. You'll have to create those directories
> under your new partition, and make sure they have the correct
> parameters (the same as /usr and /home have under /).
Thank you, and others, for replying.

I learned from you that /usr and /tmp should be on the SSD-drive in
order to have maximal profit from this fast drive.

Now I would like to have only "/home" on the HDD. This is the folder
which is going to contain large files (video, musix, etc).

I created a new partition on the HDD, mounted it (there is a line now in
fstab).

During the installation /home is now on the SSD. Can I make a symlink to
an new /home at the HDD-drive?

What would be the right command, if the mountpoint of de HDD-partion is
/mnt/linux-data

Would that be: "ln -s /home /mnt/linux-data/home"?

(Seems far to simple).

Or is the idea of symlinking not right.

_______________________________________________
users mailing list -- [hidden email]
To unsubscribe send an email to [hidden email]
Fedora Code of Conduct: https://getfedora.org/code-of-conduct.html
List Guidelines: https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
List Archives: https://lists.fedoraproject.org/archives/list/users@.../message/MFQ5TQZFCPYRLFLVCDX3MBOORRVXIXWT/
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: dual boot Windows10 fedora28

George N. White III
On Sun, 3 Jun 2018 at 14:22, Peter Lesterhuis <[hidden email]> wrote:
> And you won't mount at /mnt/sda2, you'll mount at /home, /usr /tmp in
> order to do what you want. You'll have to create those directories
> under your new partition, and make sure they have the correct
> parameters (the same as /usr and /home have under /).
Thank you, and others, for replying.

I learned from you that /usr and /tmp should be on the SSD-drive in
order to have maximal profit from this fast drive.

They are needed to boot.  If there is an issue with your rotating drive, it
is very helpful to have a system that can still boot.  
 
Now I would like to have only "/home" on the HDD. This is the folder
which is going to contain large files (video, musix, etc).

I created a new partition on the HDD, mounted it (there is a line now in
fstab).

During the installation /home is now on the SSD. Can I make a symlink to
an new /home at the HDD-drive?

What would be the right command, if the mountpoint of de HDD-partion is
/mnt/linux-data

Would that be: "ln -s /home /mnt/linux-data/home"?

Not quite.  Rather than asking for recipes to follow blindly, you should
teach yourself by doing some simple examples.  Start with 
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ln_(Unix) for background, then make
up some exercises to get some practical experience before making
changes to critical directories or files.

(Seems far to simple).

Or is the idea of symlinking not right.

Symbolic links are very easy to use and can be very helpful, but 
do sometimes cause confusion when things like "cd ../../" put you 
in an unexpected place.   Symbolic links have been around since 
before linux and should work the same way on all linux and unix systems.

Some years ago, unix workstations from companies like Sun and SGI
came with relatively small system disks, and were often used with much 
larger external disk arrays to hold data.   Typically, users would have a home
directory that contained startup scripts and application configuration
data.  Thery would also have symbolic links to directories on the 
disk arrays.   The same sort of approach is useful today with small
SSD system disks and arrays of rotating storage.

There are tools that will show the total space used by directories.
You may be able to move a few big directories to rotating storage 
while preserving most of the current home directory on the SSD.

--
George N. White III


_______________________________________________
users mailing list -- [hidden email]
To unsubscribe send an email to [hidden email]
Fedora Code of Conduct: https://getfedora.org/code-of-conduct.html
List Guidelines: https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
List Archives: https://lists.fedoraproject.org/archives/list/users@.../message/ALB4UVD6FQTYBIZ4HBFXZ7T6SVC62KPP/
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: dual boot Windows10 fedora28

Samuel Sieb
In reply to this post by Peter Lesterhuis
On 06/03/2018 10:21 AM, Peter Lesterhuis wrote:
>> And you won't mount at /mnt/sda2, you'll mount at /home, /usr /tmp in
>> order to do what you want. You'll have to create those directories
>> under your new partition, and make sure they have the correct
>> parameters (the same as /usr and /home have under /).
> Thank you, and others, for replying.
>
> I learned from you that /usr and /tmp should be on the SSD-drive in
> order to have maximal profit from this fast drive.

Remember that /tmp does not use disk space.  It's a RAM filesystem.

> Now I would like to have only "/home" on the HDD. This is the folder
> which is going to contain large files (video, musix, etc).
>
> I created a new partition on the HDD, mounted it (there is a line now in
> fstab).

If you modified the fstab, you could have just changed the current /home
line to point to the new partition instead.

> During the installation /home is now on the SSD. Can I make a symlink to
> an new /home at the HDD-drive?

As I mentioned before, the easiest way would be to do a reinstall.
Since the /home partition is on the SSD right now, if you put /home
somewhere else, that space will be lost.  You most likely would want
that space in your root partition instead.
_______________________________________________
users mailing list -- [hidden email]
To unsubscribe send an email to [hidden email]
Fedora Code of Conduct: https://getfedora.org/code-of-conduct.html
List Guidelines: https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
List Archives: https://lists.fedoraproject.org/archives/list/users@.../message/FWX2F3CR435NPXE53UK4IS25STDDT6GZ/
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: dual boot Windows10 fedora28

Fedora List mailing list-2
Allegedly, on or about 3 June 2018, Samuel Sieb sent:
> Remember that /tmp does not use disk space.  It's a RAM filesystem.

Only if you mount it with the right options.

If you mount it with other options, or don't mount it and just have a
/tmp directory, it's going to be normal filesystem.

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -rsvp
Linux 4.16.7-100.fc26.x86_64 #1 SMP Wed May 2 21:45:56 UTC 2018 x86_64

Boilerplate:  All mail to my mailbox is automatically deleted.
There is no point trying to privately email me, I only get to see
the messages posted to the mailing list.

I'd just like to say that vinyl record crackles and pops are far
less annoying than digigigigital mu-u-u-u-usic hiccicicicups and
yooo-----------------u tu-----be ....... pauses.
_______________________________________________
users mailing list -- [hidden email]
To unsubscribe send an email to [hidden email]
Fedora Code of Conduct: https://getfedora.org/code-of-conduct.html
List Guidelines: https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
List Archives: https://lists.fedoraproject.org/archives/list/users@.../message/GGVOEV3M3IWHSI7XAU5WPDRUMEUNWUJ6/
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: dual boot Windows10 fedora28

Samuel Sieb
On 06/03/2018 04:37 PM, Tim via users wrote:
> Allegedly, on or about 3 June 2018, Samuel Sieb sent:
>> Remember that /tmp does not use disk space.  It's a RAM filesystem.
>
> Only if you mount it with the right options.
>
> If you mount it with other options, or don't mount it and just have a
> /tmp directory, it's going to be normal filesystem.

Ok, I didn't think I needed to spell it out.  By default, Fedora
configures /tmp as a tmpfs filesystem with no disk backing.
_______________________________________________
users mailing list -- [hidden email]
To unsubscribe send an email to [hidden email]
Fedora Code of Conduct: https://getfedora.org/code-of-conduct.html
List Guidelines: https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
List Archives: https://lists.fedoraproject.org/archives/list/users@.../message/IZ6AEBEQVEZV7D3YGBNCDNWCCJF6E5GJ/
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: dual boot Windows10 fedora28

Patrick O'Callaghan-2
On Sun, 2018-06-03 at 16:41 -0700, Samuel Sieb wrote:

> On 06/03/2018 04:37 PM, Tim via users wrote:
> > Allegedly, on or about 3 June 2018, Samuel Sieb sent:
> > > Remember that /tmp does not use disk space.  It's a RAM filesystem.
> >
> > Only if you mount it with the right options.
> >
> > If you mount it with other options, or don't mount it and just have a
> > /tmp directory, it's going to be normal filesystem.
>
> Ok, I didn't think I needed to spell it out.  By default, Fedora
> configures /tmp as a tmpfs filesystem with no disk backing.

Except that (AFAIK) there is implicit disk backing via swap. Or is that
wrong?

poc
_______________________________________________
users mailing list -- [hidden email]
To unsubscribe send an email to [hidden email]
Fedora Code of Conduct: https://getfedora.org/code-of-conduct.html
List Guidelines: https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
List Archives: https://lists.fedoraproject.org/archives/list/users@.../message/W2T3NGCNUUFZMAKV7MDAHUQEVQBEC3CU/
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: dual boot Windows10 fedora28

Fedora List mailing list-2
In reply to this post by Samuel Sieb
Tim:
>> Only if you mount it with the right options.
>> If you mount it with other options, or don't mount it and just have
>> a /tmp directory, it's going to be normal filesystem.

Samuel Sieb:
> Ok, I didn't think I needed to spell it out.  By default, Fedora
> configures /tmp as a tmpfs filesystem with no disk backing.

I think it needed it.  They originally talked about mounting a /tmp
partition (and I don't know if that was fulfilling a need, or just a
habit).  So it bares pointing out that it won't always be tmpfs.

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -rsvp
Linux 4.16.7-100.fc26.x86_64 #1 SMP Wed May 2 21:45:56 UTC 2018 x86_64

Boilerplate:  All mail to my mailbox is automatically deleted.
There is no point trying to privately email me, I only get to see
the messages posted to the mailing list.

Evolution keeps on telling me that it's refreshing,
but I still want to go and get a drink.
_______________________________________________
users mailing list -- [hidden email]
To unsubscribe send an email to [hidden email]
Fedora Code of Conduct: https://getfedora.org/code-of-conduct.html
List Guidelines: https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
List Archives: https://lists.fedoraproject.org/archives/list/users@.../message/GBMG33WHVAE5F6LR6242BM446ZHCKDOC/
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: dual boot Windows10 fedora28

Samuel Sieb
In reply to this post by Patrick O'Callaghan-2
On 06/04/2018 02:42 AM, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:

> On Sun, 2018-06-03 at 16:41 -0700, Samuel Sieb wrote:
>> On 06/03/2018 04:37 PM, Tim via users wrote:
>>> Allegedly, on or about 3 June 2018, Samuel Sieb sent:
>>>> Remember that /tmp does not use disk space.  It's a RAM filesystem.
>>>
>>> Only if you mount it with the right options.
>>>
>>> If you mount it with other options, or don't mount it and just have a
>>> /tmp directory, it's going to be normal filesystem.
>>
>> Ok, I didn't think I needed to spell it out.  By default, Fedora
>> configures /tmp as a tmpfs filesystem with no disk backing.
>
> Except that (AFAIK) there is implicit disk backing via swap. Or is that
> wrong?

Interesting, you are correct.  I didn't realize that tmpfs would swap
out.  The previous RAM filesystems wouldn't.  I don't know if that's an
improvement though...  Anyway, so yes, it does have some implicit
backing via the swap partition.  However, that is still irrelevant in
the context of partitioning the SSD other than possibly the size of the
swap.
_______________________________________________
users mailing list -- [hidden email]
To unsubscribe send an email to [hidden email]
Fedora Code of Conduct: https://getfedora.org/code-of-conduct.html
List Guidelines: https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
List Archives: https://lists.fedoraproject.org/archives/list/users@.../message/PC4VHBVBFFESRA4CLFDBSU64RPU3ZF3P/
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: dual boot Windows10 fedora28

Peter Lesterhuis
In reply to this post by Peter Lesterhuis

On 06/03/2018 10:21 AM, Peter Lesterhuis wrote: Remember that /tmp does not use disk space. It's a RAM filesystem. If you modified the fstab, you could have just changed the current /home line to point to the new partition instead.
During the installation /home is now on the SSD. Can I make a symlink to an new /home at the HDD-drive?
As I mentioned before, the easiest way would be to do a reinstall. Since the /home partition is on the SSD right now, if you put /home somewhere else, that space will be lost. You most likely would want that space in your root partition instead.
So I did a reinstall (i.e. several reinstalls). Fast boot is disabled.  I chose custom partitioning.

I can put /home on the HDD all right. But now I can't mount the Windows /boot/efi partition. I have read that when you install fedora alongside Windows you must not have two /boot/efi partitions, because Windows can't handle that and won't boot.

I select the (Windows) /boot/efi partition in Anaconda installation screen and fill in "/boot/efi" in de mount-point window in the right side of the screen. At first this seems to work, because this appears under "New Fedora 28 installation" (left side). But when I have finished assigning mount-points and hit the "done" button, a <img moz-do-not-send="false" src="[IMG]http://i67.tinypic.com/97k8dx.png[/IMG]" alt=""><a moz-do-not-send="true" href="[IMG]http://i67.tinypic.com/97k8dx.png[/IMG]">error message pops up.

"No valid boot loader target device found. See below for details.

For a UEFI installation, you must include an EFI System Partition on a GPT-formatted disk, mounted at /boot/efi."


I googled and found out that my problem is not unique, though I did not find a solution that worked for me.



_______________________________________________
users mailing list -- [hidden email]
To unsubscribe send an email to [hidden email]
Fedora Code of Conduct: https://getfedora.org/code-of-conduct.html
List Guidelines: https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
List Archives: https://lists.fedoraproject.org/archives/list/users@.../message/LKBGCT3SLW7YNC4DRHEG7QY5A7BTVOTS/
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: dual boot Windows10 fedora28

Samuel Sieb
On 06/05/2018 09:28 AM, Peter Lesterhuis wrote:

> I select the (Windows) /boot/efi partition in Anaconda installation
> screen and fill in "/boot/efi" in de mount-point window in the right
> side of the screen. At first this seems to work, because this appears
> under "New Fedora 28 installation" (left side). But when I have finished
> assigning mount-points and hit the "done" button, a error message
> <[IMG]http://i67.tinypic.com/97k8dx.png[/IMG]> pops up.
>
> "No valid boot loader target device found. See below for details.
>
> For a UEFI installation, you must include an EFI System Partition on a
> GPT-formatted disk, mounted at /boot/efi."

I assume you've verified that the SSD has a GPT partition table.  It's
unlikely that it isn't, but just make sure.  The problem is more likely
that you are booting from the secondary drive.  I think there's a small
button somewhere to set the boot options.  Check in the disk selection
and partitioning screens.
_______________________________________________
users mailing list -- [hidden email]
To unsubscribe send an email to [hidden email]
Fedora Code of Conduct: https://getfedora.org/code-of-conduct.html
List Guidelines: https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
List Archives: https://lists.fedoraproject.org/archives/list/users@.../message/W5S3GR6HYEFHJTQ7X6FPIN6POXT3UYAW/
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: dual boot Windows10 fedora28

Chris Murphy

I'm suspicious the installer wants /boot/efi on the same drive as /
And if so it's a bug, but I can't remember if this ever got fixed yet.

Also, the only thing that cares about two EFI System partitions, is there Windows installer. And only if there are two on one drive. One each on two drives is not a problem.

Honestly, the easiest way to find out is start over, go to custom partitioning, clock on the blue link to create partitions automatically, and see what it chooses for /boot/efi.

Then start over again and use that same /boot/efi partition, creating other things wherever you want. Or feel free to unwind and customize the autopartioning. Just be really mindful, the installer does wonky things when you've picked multiple drives for autopartioning, like it will create a single LVM VG made from all the drives...


Chris Murphy

(And WTF is up with Vegas and this nutty opening act for a g.d. hockey game? Now for sure I want the Capitals to win.)



_______________________________________________
users mailing list -- [hidden email]
To unsubscribe send an email to [hidden email]
Fedora Code of Conduct: https://getfedora.org/code-of-conduct.html
List Guidelines: https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
List Archives: https://lists.fedoraproject.org/archives/list/users@.../message/YGFGR3H524HCS2KFFJXK7C6SKTJTLJR7/
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: dual boot Windows10 fedora28

Samuel Sieb
In reply to this post by Samuel Sieb
On 06/07/2018 03:18 PM, Samuel Sieb wrote:

> On 06/05/2018 09:28 AM, Peter Lesterhuis wrote:
>> I select the (Windows) /boot/efi partition in Anaconda installation
>> screen and fill in "/boot/efi" in de mount-point window in the right
>> side of the screen. At first this seems to work, because this appears
>> under "New Fedora 28 installation" (left side). But when I have
>> finished assigning mount-points and hit the "done" button, a error
>> message <[IMG]http://i67.tinypic.com/97k8dx.png[/IMG]> pops up.
>>
>> "No valid boot loader target device found. See below for details.
>>
>> For a UEFI installation, you must include an EFI System Partition on a
>> GPT-formatted disk, mounted at /boot/efi."
>
> I assume you've verified that the SSD has a GPT partition table.  It's
> unlikely that it isn't, but just make sure.  The problem is more likely
> that you are booting from the secondary drive.  I think there's a small
> button somewhere to set the boot options.  Check in the disk selection
> and partitioning screens.

I found it and verified that it works.  On the hard drive selection
screen, in the bottom left corner, there's a boot selection link.  Click
that and you will get a dialog box that will let you select the other
hard drive as the boot drive.  Then it won't complain about the EFI
partition.
_______________________________________________
users mailing list -- [hidden email]
To unsubscribe send an email to [hidden email]
Fedora Code of Conduct: https://getfedora.org/code-of-conduct.html
List Guidelines: https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
List Archives: https://lists.fedoraproject.org/archives/list/users@.../message/GFVK6ANKJAX5LTC32ELTKGCUULK743QD/
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: dual boot Windows10 fedora28

Chris Murphy
On Thu, Jun 7, 2018 at 10:19 PM, Samuel Sieb <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 06/07/2018 03:18 PM, Samuel Sieb wrote:
>>
>> On 06/05/2018 09:28 AM, Peter Lesterhuis wrote:
>>>
>>> I select the (Windows) /boot/efi partition in Anaconda installation
>>> screen and fill in "/boot/efi" in de mount-point window in the right side of
>>> the screen. At first this seems to work, because this appears under "New
>>> Fedora 28 installation" (left side). But when I have finished assigning
>>> mount-points and hit the "done" button, a error message
>>> <[IMG]http://i67.tinypic.com/97k8dx.png[/IMG]> pops up.
>>>
>>> "No valid boot loader target device found. See below for details.
>>>
>>> For a UEFI installation, you must include an EFI System Partition on a
>>> GPT-formatted disk, mounted at /boot/efi."
>>
>>
>> I assume you've verified that the SSD has a GPT partition table.  It's
>> unlikely that it isn't, but just make sure.  The problem is more likely that
>> you are booting from the secondary drive.  I think there's a small button
>> somewhere to set the boot options.  Check in the disk selection and
>> partitioning screens.
>
>
> I found it and verified that it works.  On the hard drive selection screen,
> in the bottom left corner, there's a boot selection link.  Click that and
> you will get a dialog box that will let you select the other hard drive as
> the boot drive.  Then it won't complain about the EFI partition.

That's such a goofy bug. It'd be fine to warn the user that /boot/efi
is somewhere other than either /boot or /  -  just let them know the
system won't boot if a device containing any of /boot/efi /boot or /
are missing (which should be obvious but I'll set that aside).
Consider that the installer will, without warning, upon selection of
2+ drives, will create a rootfs LV across all of those selected
drives. And of course if any of those drives are missing, not only
will you probably not boot but chances are you get irreparable file
system corruption. *shrug*



--
Chris Murphy
_______________________________________________
users mailing list -- [hidden email]
To unsubscribe send an email to [hidden email]
Fedora Code of Conduct: https://getfedora.org/code-of-conduct.html
List Guidelines: https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
List Archives: https://lists.fedoraproject.org/archives/list/users@.../message/Q33BMS2KFUF6VBOJU52EN4MV6AKK32YN/
12