can't reclaim disk space on F26 install

Dave Mitchell-3
I'm trying to install F26 on an i386 system with a single 119Gb SSD.
It previously had F22 installed, with a straightforward partitioning scheme:

    sda1 ext4 500Mb /boot
    sda2 LVM        encrypted, and containing /, swap, /home

I booted off Fedora-Workstation-Live-i386-26-1.5.iso, and in the
installer, I selected:

    Storage Configuration: automatic
    ticked: "I would like to make additional space available"
    ticked: "Encrypt my data"
    done

I then chose an encryption password, then the "Reclaim disk space"
dialogue appeared. I selected
    Delete all
but the "Reclaim space" button remains greyed out

The "reclaim disk space" screen shows:

    disk                 name   filesystem reclaimable space  action
    -----------------    ----   ---------- -----------------  ------
    119.2 GiB ATA ...    sda    (blank)    118.94 GiB total    Delete
      ext4               sda1   ext4       187MiB of 500 MiB   Delete
      fedora             sda2   LVM        not resizable       Delete
      Free space                           1.3 MiB

Ay the bottom of the screen it has:

    LHS: 1 disk: 118.94 GiB reclaimable space
    RHS: Total selected space to reclaim: 3.24 GiB
         Installation requires a total of 5.59 GiB for system data

Then there is Cancel button and an inactive (greyed out) "Reclaim space"
button.

Any ideas how to proceed from here?
For this install I'm happy to for the current disk contents to be
completely blown away and for Fedora to partition the whole disk as it sees fit.

--
My get-up-and-go just got up and went.

Re: can't reclaim disk space on F26 install

Tim-163
Allegedly, on or about 12 August 2017, Dave Mitchell sent:
> Any ideas how to proceed from here?
> For this install I'm happy to for the current disk contents to be
> completely blown away and for Fedora to partition the whole disk as
> it sees fit.

I also had trouble reusing an old hard drive for installation, it
(anaconda's installation routine) wouldn't remove an old partition, no
matter what I tried.  It hid it from view, but it was still there, and
the installer would only try to use around half the drive capacity.

I booted the live image, used its gparted tool to obliterate my entire
hard drive, then ran the install to hard drive routine, successfully.

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -rsvp
Linux 4.11.11-300.fc26.x86_64 #1 SMP Mon Jul 17 16:32:11 UTC 2017 x86_64

Boilerplate:  All mail to my mailbox is automatically deleted.
There is no point trying to privately email me, I only get to see

Windows (TM) [Typhoid Mary].  They refuse to believe that there's anything
wrong with it, but everyone else knows Windows is a disease that spreads.

Re: can't reclaim disk space on F26 install

shriya mulay
I had same problem, I did this :
Storage Configuration: custom
click Done
you will see new window where you will see free space left and your previously installed fedora partitions, all I did was to click on each partiton and ticked on reformat option on the right side of the window and then clicked on update settings.
This will create mountpoints for your new fedora 26 .
hope this works for you!!

On Sun, Aug 13, 2017 at 07:18:51AM +0930, Tim wrote:
> I booted the live image, used its gparted tool to obliterate my entire
> hard drive, then ran the install to hard drive routine, successfully.

Thanks for the suggestions guys. In the end from a terminal in the live
image, I did

    # dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda count=1

to wipe out the partition table, then the installer was happy.

--
But Pity stayed his hand. "It's a pity I've run out of bullets",
he thought. -- "Bored of the Rings"