booting on Fedora 17/18 with basic video mode

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
12 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

booting on Fedora 17/18 with basic video mode

Rafnews
Hi,

when i boot on Fedora CD/DVD (whatever it is as version 17/18) result of a blank screen.
to be able to install i need to install with troubleshooting mode and "run in basic graphic mode"

i have a nvida graphic card so i guess here is the problem.
is there a solution to run in a better resolution than what basic graphic mode propose ?

if not, i guess i must setup video resolution manually in x11 conf.
where can i find a good tutorial for that point ? because when i tried Fed17 i had the same problem and i was not able to setup video correctly so i got a blank screen from restart :(

thx

--
Alain
-----------------------------------------------------------
Windows 7 x64 / Fedora 17 x64
MySQL 5.6
Apache 2.4.3 / OpenSSL 1.0.1c
Tomcat 7.17
PHP 5.4.8

--
users mailing list
[hidden email]
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
Have a question? Ask away: http://ask.fedoraproject.org
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: booting on Fedora 17/18 with basic video mode

jonc
On 01/30/2013 02:41 PM, Raf Roger wrote:
Hi,

when i boot on Fedora CD/DVD (whatever it is as version 17/18) result of a blank screen.
to be able to install i need to install with troubleshooting mode and "run in basic graphic mode"

i have a nvida graphic card so i guess here is the problem.
is there a solution to run in a better resolution than what basic graphic mode propose ?


Guides for installing the proprietary Nvidia driver are here  and here.  They outline two different ways to get to the same goal.  I've had success with the first method, while others have not and prefer the second.

The driver should boot your display in the correct resolution, so it's unlikely that you will need to edit xorg.conf to set that.


--
users mailing list
[hidden email]
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
Have a question? Ask away: http://ask.fedoraproject.org
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: booting on Fedora 17/18 with basic video mode

Joe Zeff-2
On 01/30/2013 12:05 PM, jonc wrote:
> I've had success with the first method, while others have not and prefer
> the second.

The one thing you don't want to have to do is download the binary blob
from nVidia and use it.  If you do, you'll have to reinstall it every
time there's a kernel update.  Using either the kmod or akmod automates
the process for you.
--
users mailing list
[hidden email]
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
Have a question? Ask away: http://ask.fedoraproject.org
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: booting on Fedora 17/18 with basic video mode

Rafnews



On Wed, Jan 30, 2013 at 9:30 PM, Joe Zeff <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 01/30/2013 12:05 PM, jonc wrote:
I've had success with the first method, while others have not and prefer
the second.

The one thing you don't want to have to do is download the binary blob from nVidia and use it.  If you do, you'll have to reinstall it every time there's a kernel update.  Using either the kmod or akmod automates the process for you.
--
users mailing list
[hidden email]
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
Have a question? Ask away: http://ask.fedoraproject.org

i'm sad because nothing work with nvidia driver installation steps.

here is what i did:
1st test:
su
yum update kernel\* selinux-policy\*
reboot

i get the following error message:
GPG key retrieval failed: [Errno 14] Could not open/read file:///etc/pki/rpm-gpg/RPM-GPG-KEY-rpmfusion-non-fedora-18-x86_64

i got the same error message if i use: yum install kmod-nvidia xorg-x11-drv-nvidia-libs.i686

2nd test
/sbin/lspci | grep VGA

i see my graphic card is a NVIDIA GeForce 9600 GT

next i typed: yum install akmod-nvidia

once again the same error message :-(

i search on internet and i just found that such package has no key... so what next ? :(
thx

Alain

--
users mailing list
[hidden email]
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
Have a question? Ask away: http://ask.fedoraproject.org
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: booting on Fedora 17/18 with basic video mode

Joe Zeff-2
On 01/30/2013 02:08 PM, Raf Roger wrote:
> i search on internet and i just found that such package has no key... so
> what next ? :(

RTFM.  Checking, I see that there's an option for exactly this
situation: --nogpgcheck and I know from personal experience that
rpmfusion sometimes has trouble with this.
--
users mailing list
[hidden email]
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
Have a question? Ask away: http://ask.fedoraproject.org
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: booting on Fedora 17/18 with basic video mode

jonc
In reply to this post by Rafnews
On 01/30/2013 05:08 PM, Raf Roger wrote:


i'm sad because nothing work with nvidia driver installation steps.

here is what i did:
1st test:
su
yum update kernel\* selinux-policy\*
reboot

i get the following error message:
GPG key retrieval failed: [Errno 14] Could not open/read file:///etc/pki/rpm-gpg/RPM-GPG-KEY-rpmfusion-non-fedora-18-x86_64

It's a rather annoying bug.

If you are using this page at rpmfusion, scroll down to "Command Line Setup Using rpm" and copy and paste the appropriate incantation into a terminal window. You shouldn't see any more GPG key error messages.

Don't forget to read what it says here about getting the vdpua/vaapi files if you have a GeForce 8 or later card.


--
users mailing list
[hidden email]
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
Have a question? Ask away: http://ask.fedoraproject.org
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: booting on Fedora 17/18 with basic video mode

Rafnews
In reply to this post by Joe Zeff-2



On Wed, Jan 30, 2013 at 11:21 PM, Joe Zeff <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 01/30/2013 02:08 PM, Raf Roger wrote:
i search on internet and i just found that such package has no key... so
what next ? :(

RTFM.  Checking, I see that there's an option for exactly this situation: --nogpgcheck and I know from personal experience that rpmfusion sometimes has trouble with this.

--
users mailing list
[hidden email]
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
Have a question? Ask away: http://ask.fedoraproject.org


combined with other 2, it helps me to installed everything as i wanted and it works well.
thx

--
users mailing list
[hidden email]
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
Have a question? Ask away: http://ask.fedoraproject.org
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: booting on Fedora 17/18 with basic video mode

Joe Zeff-2
On 01/30/2013 03:02 PM, Raf Roger wrote:
> it helps me to installed everything as i wanted and it works well.

Good.  Please note that I only suggested that option because I trust
rpmfusion.  Unless you're sure it's safe, it's probably better not to
try it, especially with an obscure third-party repo.
--
users mailing list
[hidden email]
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
Have a question? Ask away: http://ask.fedoraproject.org
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: booting on Fedora 17/18 with basic video mode

Craig White-6
On Wed, 2013-01-30 at 16:08 -0800, Joe Zeff wrote:
> On 01/30/2013 03:02 PM, Raf Roger wrote:
> > it helps me to installed everything as i wanted and it works well.
>
> Good.  Please note that I only suggested that option because I trust
> rpmfusion.  Unless you're sure it's safe, it's probably better not to
> try it, especially with an obscure third-party repo.
----
sort of an uninformed opinion offered to solve a problem (which indeed
worked) and by not understanding the risks involved, you couldn't
properly note the risks to the person you were advising.

You should install the repo key on your system prior to ever installing
packages. If you import the key, you don't have this problem.
Instructions are on rpmfusion.org website for this purpose.

Yum's 'nogpgcheck' option bypasses the signature requirement on packages
which means that you could install packages from anyone claiming to be
rpmfusion.org. It is relatively simple to poison someone's DNS and
direct them to some other repo so while you trust rpmfusion.org, you are
also trusting your DNS not to lie to you.

Craig


--
This message has been scanned for viruses and
dangerous content by MailScanner, and is
believed to be clean.

--
users mailing list
[hidden email]
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
Have a question? Ask away: http://ask.fedoraproject.org
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: booting on Fedora 17/18 with basic video mode

Joe Zeff-2
On 01/31/2013 12:26 PM, Craig White wrote:

> You should install the repo key on your system prior to ever installing
> packages. If you import the key, you don't have this problem.
> Instructions are on rpmfusion.org website for this purpose.
>

I do.  I've been having intermittent issues with rpmfusion (only) about
packages where the key doesn't match on my F16 desktop for over a year.
  Today, there was one update from there and it installed without a
problem, with the gpg check enabled, so it looks like I should have the
right key installed.


> Yum's 'nogpgcheck' option bypasses the signature requirement on packages
> which means that you could install packages from anyone claiming to be
> rpmfusion.org. It is relatively simple to poison someone's DNS and
> direct them to some other repo so while you trust rpmfusion.org, you are
> also trusting your DNS not to lie to you.

I normally use yumex every day and when the error pops up, I unselect
everything from rpmfusion and tell yumex to try again.  Then, I examine
the remaining updates to make sure they're what I expect to see and tell
yumex to turn off the gpg check for that run only.  I'm very, very
careful about what I allow to update that way and I'd never suggest that
anybody turn it off completely, or if they're not sure that they trust
the repo in question.  And, if you'll go back and look at what I
originally wrote, I made sure to warn the OP to be careful with it.
(I'll go even farther, now: if you're not sure it's safe, or you're not
comfortable with doing it, don't.)
--
users mailing list
[hidden email]
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
Have a question? Ask away: http://ask.fedoraproject.org
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: booting on Fedora 17/18 with basic video mode

Craig White-6
On Thu, 2013-01-31 at 13:48 -0800, Joe Zeff wrote:

> > You should install the repo key on your system prior to ever
> installing
> > packages. If you import the key, you don't have this problem.
> > Instructions are on rpmfusion.org website for this purpose.
> >
>
> I do.  I've been having intermittent issues with rpmfusion (only)
> about
> packages where the key doesn't match on my F16 desktop for over a
> year.
----
Michael monitors this list - there's really no excuse for it not to work
unless someone didn't follow the instructions and no amount of personal
frustrations should cause you or anyone else to suggest risky behavior
to be practiced by others unless you or they understand and explain the
risks.

Everything else is just chatter.

Craig


--
This message has been scanned for viruses and
dangerous content by MailScanner, and is
believed to be clean.

--
users mailing list
[hidden email]
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
Have a question? Ask away: http://ask.fedoraproject.org
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: booting on Fedora 17/18 with basic video mode

Joe Zeff-2
On 01/31/2013 02:04 PM, Craig White wrote:
> Michael monitors this list - there's really no excuse for it not to work
> unless someone didn't follow the instructions and no amount of personal
> frustrations should cause you or anyone else to suggest risky behavior
> to be practiced by others unless you or they understand and explain the
> risks.

I added a comment to a bugzilla at rpmfusion when it first popped up,
but never heard back other than a claim that it was fixed, followed by
"oh no it's not!"
--
users mailing list
[hidden email]
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
Have a question? Ask away: http://ask.fedoraproject.org