XDG – creating submenus

Angelo Moreschini
Hi,

….after installing 'libre office' on my computer, the lauchers of the various applications that are part of libre office, were visible on the desktop individually (in a separate and independent way).

I wanted to group all these launchers, on my desktop, inside a “submenu” (and this accomplishment can also be a general requirement for displaying programs grupper by “categories” on the desktop ).

I used the program “xdg-desktop-menu” to accomplice this purpose; so I run this command line from the terminal

xdg-desktop-menu install /usr/share/desktop-directories/-kde-office.directory libreoffice-calc.desktop libreoffice-calc.desktop ibreoffice-math.desktop libreoffice-draw.desktop libreoffice-base.desktop libreoffice-impress.desktop

More clearly:

xdg-desktop-menu install (option install of the command)

kde-office.directory (the <.directory file> that describe the icon and the

libreoffice-calc.desktop way to present the group of programs.

libreoffice-math.desktop the list all the launchers <there .desktop files>

libreoffice-draw.desktop to be groupped)

libreoffice-base.desktop

libreoffice-impress.desktop

the command created this file :

/etc/xdg/menus/applications-merged/kde-office.menu

[angelo_dev@localhost ~]$ cat /etc/xdg/menus/applications-merged/kde-office.menu

<!DOCTYPE Menu PUBLIC "-//freedesktop//DTD Menu 1.0//EN" "http://www.freedesktop.org/">

<!-- Do not edit manually - generated and managed by xdg-desktop-menu -->

<Menu>

<Name>Applications</Name>

<Menu>

<Name>kde-office</Name>

<Directory>kde-office.

<Include>

<Filename>libreoffice-calc.

<Filename>libreoffice-calc.

<Filename>libreoffice-math.

<Filename>libreoffice-draw.

<Filename>libreoffice-base.

<Filename>libreoffice-impress.

</Include>

</Menu>

</Menu>

I hoped this was enough for my purpose, but as well this, the submenu <office> still not appears on the desktop

Why this ??

how it works xdg-desktop-menu for creating submenus ???

Regards

thank  you

Re: XDG – creating submenus

Angelo Moreschini
I write more clearly the command line :

xdg-desktop-menu install                  (option to install the command)

      kde-office.directory                     (the <.directory file> that describe the icon and the

      libreoffice-calc.desktop                way to present the group of programs.

      libreoffice-math.desktop              Follow  the list all the launchers <there .desktop files>

      libreoffice-draw.desktop              that have to be groupped)

On Tue, Aug 1, 2017 at 9:39 AM, Angelo Moreschini <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Ed Greshko
On 08/01/2017 02:39 PM, Angelo Moreschini wrote:

> ….after installing 'libre office' on my computer, the lauchers of the various
> applications that are part of libre office, were visible on the desktop
> individually (in a separate and independent way).
>
> I wanted to group all these launchers, on my desktop, inside a “submenu” (and this
> accomplishment can also be a general requirement for displaying programs grupper by
> “categories” on the desktop ).

Just one question first....  Are you running KDE as your desktop?  If so, you may
want to ask on the KDE list.

--
Fedora Users List - The place to go to speculate endlessly

Re: XDG – creating submenus

Angelo Moreschini
thank you Ed,

no.  I  use  Gnome...

I'm just surprised that the command line does not work ...
And I would like to understand why

On 08/01/2017 03:47 PM, Angelo Moreschini wrote:
> thank you Ed,
>
> no.  I  use  Gnome...
>
> I'm just surprised that the command line does not work ...
> And I would like to understand why

OK, my GNOME knowledge is feeble at best.  I saw "kde-office" in your post so I
wasn't sure.

FWIW, the xdg-* stuff has always been a bit of a black box to me.  xdg-desktop-menu
is just a shell script itself and if it is anything like the xdg-settings scripts it
drives me nuts trying to figure it out.  :-) :-)

Maybe this evening I'll give your commands a try to see if anything pops out at me.  Hah!

--
Fedora Users List - The place to go to speculate endlessly

Re: XDG – creating submenus

Ed Greshko
On 08/01/2017 03:47 PM, Angelo Moreschini wrote:
> I'm just surprised that the command line does not work ...
> And I would like to understand why

OK, I must admit that I'm not really certain how your desktop would end up looking or
what you're trying to achieve.   I didn't try out your command yet.  But one thing I
did do was install gnome-tweak-tool and under Extensions I turned Applications Menu -
On and my desktop looks like this....

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B2H9v1dYNcvpNzZrVUg1VEJLWnM

Don't know if that gets you any closer to what you'd like to have.

--
Fedora Users List - The place to go to speculate endlessly

Re: XDG – creating submenus

Angelo Moreschini
Ok !!

using the graphic desktop is a balk box for me too...

In the past I  tried also with gnome-tweak-tool, but (as well I had some success then) actually it Is not clear for me how they work

I hoped to find something a little more simple using the commands line xdg-desktop-xxx.

Do you know in what way gnome-tweak-tool have a connection with the commands line xdg-desktop-xxx  ??

Thank you very much for your kind answer :-)

On Wed, Aug 2, 2017 at 7:08 AM, Ed Greshko <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 08/01/2017 03:47 PM, Angelo Moreschini wrote:
> I'm just surprised that the command line does not work ...
> And I would like to understand why

OK, I must admit that I'm not really certain how your desktop would end up looking or
what you're trying to achieve.   I didn't try out your command yet.  But one thing I
did do was install gnome-tweak-tool and under Extensions I turned Applications Menu -
On and my desktop looks like this....

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B2H9v1dYNcvpNzZrVUg1VEJLWnM

Don't know if that gets you any closer to what you'd like to have.

--
Fedora Users List - The place to go to speculate endlessly

Re: XDG – creating submenus

Samuel Sieb
On 08/01/2017 10:51 PM, Angelo Moreschini wrote:
> In the past I  tried also with gnome-tweak-tool, but (as well I had some
> success then) actually it Is not clear for me how they work
>
> I hoped to find something a little more simple using the commands line
> xdg-desktop-xxx.
>
> Do you know in what way gnome-tweak-tool have a connection with the
> commands line xdg-desktop-xxx  ??

As Ed asked, what are you expecting to happen?  By default, Gnome
doesn't even have an applications menu, so what are you trying to
accomplish?

Re: XDG – creating submenus

Angelo Moreschini
thank you for answering me Samuel,

I read  (https://developer.gnome.org/integration-guide/stable/desktop-files.html.en) that
"the users menus are automatically constructed from the list of registered applications."

In fact there are some directories:
    /etc/xdg/
    /opt/
    /usr/share/applications/

That are automatically controlled by Linux, and all files with suffix .desktop that are found there, they are interpreted as launchers to be displayed on the desktop.

And this really happen....

Because this, I am led to believe that the same mechanism should be applied also  to files with suffix xxx.menu (that group files. xxx.desktop in sub menus).

So i am expecting that the file </etc/xdg/menus/applications-merged/kde-office.menu> that I build by the command <xdg-desktop-menu instal>l realizes the design of menu  I want   :-) :-)

Angelo

On 08/05/2017 11:31 PM, Angelo Moreschini wrote:
> So i am expecting that the file
> </etc/xdg/menus/applications-merged/kde-office.menu> that I build by the
> command <xdg-desktop-menu instal>l realizes the design of menu  I want

Sure, but what menu?  By default, Gnome doesn't have a menu for
applications.  You either have to use the "Classic" mode or use the
tweak tool to turn on the Applications menu.  If that menu doesn't have
the entries that you expect, then there might be an issue.

Re: XDG – creating submenus

Angelo Moreschini
Hi Samuel,

I have difficulty understanding ,,, So I tried to interpret carefully your words :
"In linux you can manage the view of the desktop in two different ways: classic or by tweak tools"

  I assigned this meaning to them:

You can manage your “desktop view” using commands from the terminal or using the graphic environment that comes with tweak tools.

OK (I hope this is correct) ..

Then you still say :

“If that menu doesn't have the entries that you expect, then there might be an issue.”

This second phrase is not really clear for me ...

could you better explain what you mean by the “term” menu ?

Are you talking about the menu that I am trying to realize by using the command <xdg-desktop-menu instal> ?? But this (menu) doesn't exists yet ….

and also more important too : what you mean with the word “entries”

thank you for your patience :-)

On 08/06/2017 05:08 AM, Angelo Moreschini wrote:

> Hi Samuel,
>
> I have difficulty understanding ,,, So I tried to interpret carefully
> your words :
> "In linux you can manage the view of the desktop in two different ways:
> classic or by tweak tools"
>
>    I assigned this meaning to them:
>
> _You can manage your “desktop view” using commands from the terminal or
> using the graphic environment that comes with tweak tools._

Sorry, I'll try again.

There is a package you can install called "gnome-classic-session" which
gives you a desktop you can choose from the login menu that is called
"Gnome Classic".  This desktop looks similar to the Gnome 2 style with a
task bar at the bottom and an Applications menu at the top left.

The other way to get that Applications menu is to run the program called
"gnome-tweak-tool", you'll have to install it.  In the extensions
section of that program, there is an extension to show the Applications
menu if you turn it on.

> Then you still say :
>
> “If that menu doesn't have the entries that you expect, then there might
> be an issue.”
>
> This second phrase is not really clear for me ...
>
> _could you better explain what you mean by the “term” menu ? _

If you have followed one of the methods I described above, then at the
top-left of the screen, there will be the word "Applications" (or
corresponding translation in your language).  If you click on that, a
list of program categories will be shown (a menu).

> Are you talking about the menu that I am trying to realize by using the
> command <xdg-desktop-menu instal> ?? But this (menu) doesn't exists yet ….

Probably, although that's a guess, because you still have explained
where you are expecting to see this menu you are trying to create.

> and also more important too :*_what you mean with the word “entries”_*

I mean the menu and items that you are trying to create with
xdg-desktop-menu.

Re: XDG – creating submenus

Angelo Moreschini

Thank you for the your explanation.. (I had some problems with the internet connection ...)

I suppose that I have both packages installed on my computer:

at the command line : yum list gnome-classic-session, I get :

Loaded plugins: langpacks

Repodata is over 2 weeks old. Install yum-cron? Or run: yum makecache fast

Installed Packages

gnome-classic-session.noarch 3.14.2-1.fc21 @koji-override-0/$releasever

Available Packages

gnome-classic-session.noarch 3.14.4-2.fc21 updates

Maybe this is a package installed by default at the first Fedora installation?

GNOME-tweak-tools do not seem to be installed:

at the command line : yum list gnome-tweak-tools  I get :

Loaded plugins: langpacks

Repodata is over 2 weeks old. Install yum-cron? Or run: yum makecache fast

Error: No matching Packages to list

But I have a launcher on the desk top that activates a window (titled Tweaks) (??) that has various tabs : (Appearance, Dessktop, Extensions, Fonts, Keyboard and Mouse, Power, Startup Applications, Top Bar, Windows, Workspaces)

No one of these tabs is actually enabled.

Hoping that this could helps, I also installed xdg-utils.noarch (I don't know what can bethe relation of this utilities with classic-session or tweak-tools)

=-=-=-=-=-=-

I have to admit that I still am not well oriented in the framework of the graphic presentation of  Gnome-desktop ; but it could be very helping for me to understand why 'the following file (/etc/xdg/menus/applications- that I created with the command : xdg-desktop-menu install ….. , ….. ,….. , ….. , ....)

[angelo_dev@localhost ~]$ cat /etc/xdg/menus/applications-

<!DOCTYPE Menu PUBLIC "-//freedesktop//DTD Menu 1.0//EN" "http://www.freedesktop.org/">

<!-- Do not edit manually - generated and managed by xdg-desktop-menu -->

<Menu>

<Name>Applications</Name>

<Menu>

<Name>kde-office</Name>

<Directory>kde-office.

<Include>

<Filename>libreoffice-calc.

<Filename>libreoffice-calc.

<Filename>libreoffice-math.

<Filename>libreoffice-draw.

<Filename>libreoffice-base.

<Filename>libreoffice-impress.

</Include>

</Menu>

</Menu>

It does not have any effect on the desktop.

And also to know if I can make some changes because an icon (the submenu - office) can appears on the desktop for grouping the other icons ...

Still thank you

Angelo

On Sun, Aug 6, 2017 at 7:05 PM, Samuel Sieb <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

I just want to add that there are already two submenus on the desktop; they created at the  Fedora First installation:
  1. Sunddyr (it groups :Adobe Flash Player. Configuration Editor, Firewall, Print setting, ...,.._
  2. Utility  (it groups :Help, Logs, System monitor, ..., ...,...)

On Mon, Aug 7, 2017 at 10:52 AM, Angelo Moreschini <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Ed Greshko-2
On 08/07/2017 04:55 PM, Angelo Moreschini wrote:
> I just want to add that there are already two submenus on the desktop; they created
> at the  Fedora Firstinstallation:
>
>  1. Sunddyr (it groups :Adobe Flash Player. Configuration Editor, Firewall, Print
>     setting, ...,.._
>  2. Utility  (it groups :Help, Logs, System monitor, ..., ...,...)

Would it be possible for you to take a screenshot of your desktop and post it
someplace for others (me) to see?

I've not seen a situation where an install resulted in a menu on the desktop.  At
least not how I would describe it.

And, try not to put replies at the top of a message.  I makes it hard to follow the flow.

On 08/07/2017 12:52 AM, Angelo Moreschini wrote:
> gnome-classic-session.noarch 3.14.2-1.fc21 @koji-override-0/$releasever

Why are you using such an old version of Fedora?  I don't think I can
help you with that.

> _at the command line :*yum list gnome-tweak-tools *I get :_*
> *
> Error: No matching Packages to list

It probably didn't even exist yet at that time.

Re: XDG – creating submenus

Angelo Moreschini
I use Fedora 21 ...

really I would upgrading to the last version ... but I fear to lost data (this is not a simple work).
I'll do the upgrading (but not now).

Ok, thank you for your advice  ! :-).

Only if you know it, and if  you are interested to this subject, I say that I investigate about the files with suffix *.menu that exists on my computer.
All of them are  in one directory (/etc/xdg/menu/):

    /etc/xdg/menus/kde4-applications.menu
    /etc/xdg/menus/gnome-applications.menu
    /etc/xdg/menus/documentation.menu
    /etc/xdg/menus/applications-merged/wine.menu
    /etc/xdg/menus/applications-merged/kde-office.menu
    /etc/xdg/menus/server-settings.menu
    /etc/xdg/menus/start-here.menu
    /etc/xdg/menus/kde-information.menu
    /etc/xdg/menus/preferences.menu
    /etc/xdg/menus/system-settings.menu
    /etc/xdg/menus/settings.menu
    /etc/xdg/menus/applications.menu

They are many, but (in my opinion ) only two of them are (possibly) interested to the construction of sub menus (this because only this include inside them names of Categories or launchers that are on the desktop) :
  • kde4-applications.menu
  • gnome-applications.menu

What is the purpose of the others ?

I can think that (because this) only one file (the gnome-applications.menu - in my case) manages all the organization of submenus on the desktop.

Would be interesting to know if it exist some tool that manage the structure of this files (that has a structure of XML language) and also to know what is the Data Type Definition that define the syntax of XML used (in order to manage manually it)..

Thank you

Angelo