What cron entry generates mlocate.db ?

Jonathan Ryshpan
I would have thought it's in /etc/cron.daily, but I can't find it. Where is it?

Thanks - jon

Re: What cron entry generates mlocate.db ?

Patrick O'Callaghan-2
On Mon, 2019-12-09 at 08:43 -0800, Jonathan Ryshpan wrote:
> I would have thought it's in /etc/cron.daily, but I can't find it.
> Where is it?

$ man locate
locate reads one or more databases prepared by updatedb(8) ...

$ man updatedb
updatedb is usually run daily by cron(8) to update the default database.

$ sudo find /etc|grep updatedb
/etc/updatedb.conf
/etc/systemd/system/timers.target.wants/mlocate-updatedb.timer

poc

Re: What cron entry generates mlocate.db ?

Jonathan Ryshpan
It looks like mlocate.db is updated on command of systemd.

I want to have updatedb create two databases, one indexing my backup device (/srv/UpdateDevice), which is a removable filesystem containing a complete backup of (the rest of) my system, and the other indexing the complete system, including the backup device. If mlocate.db were created via a cron command this would be easy. Since actually the command comes from systemd, which I'm not familiar with, it's not so easy. Any hints?

Thanks - jon

On Mon, 2019-12-09 at 12:36 -0800, Jonathan Ryshpan wrote:
> It looks like mlocate.db is updated on command of systemd.
>
> I want to have updatedb create two databases, one indexing my backup
> device (/srv/UpdateDevice), which is a removable filesystem containing
> a complete backup of (the rest of) my system, and the other
> indexing  the complete system, including the backup device.  If
> mlocate.db were created via a cron command this would be easy.  Since
> actually the command comes from systemd, which I'm not familiar with,
> it's not so easy.  Any hints?

$ man updatedb
EXAMPLES
       To create a private mlocate database as an user other than root, run
              updatedb -l 0 -o db_file -U source_directory

poc

Re: What cron entry generates mlocate.db ?

Ed Greshko
On 2019-12-10 07:25, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:

> On Mon, 2019-12-09 at 12:36 -0800, Jonathan Ryshpan wrote:
>> It looks like mlocate.db is updated on command of systemd.
>>
>> I want to have updatedb create two databases, one indexing my backup
>> device (/srv/UpdateDevice), which is a removable filesystem containing
>> a complete backup of (the rest of) my system, and the other
>> indexing  the complete system, including the backup device.  If
>> mlocate.db were created via a cron command this would be easy.  Since
>> actually the command comes from systemd, which I'm not familiar with,
>> it's not so easy.  Any hints?
> $ man updatedb
> EXAMPLES
>        To create a private mlocate database as an user other than root, run
>               updatedb -l 0 -o db_file -U source_directory

Right....

And for the process of updating the private database there is no reason why the OP can't use
cron to do that.  The current systemd process only updates the default database.

The OP could also create their own systemd units.  But I'm not certain that is what they would
want to do.  I don't think it would be that difficult.

--
The key to getting good answers is to ask good questions.