Wammu questions

jd1008
On a machine which has installed

gammu-libs
dialog
gammu
python-gammu
wammu

wammu configure (using automatic detection) is unable to find a
connected phone,
even though, when I plug in the usb cable, I get a popup on the screen
of the
gnome directory browser of the phone's storage.

So, how do I proceed from here?

Thax to all wammu users for any help with this.

Re: Wammu questions

Samuel Sieb
On 06/07/2017 06:46 PM, JD wrote:

> On a machine which has installed
>
> gammu-libs
> dialog
> gammu
> python-gammu
> wammu
>
> wammu configure (using automatic detection) is unable to find a
> connected phone,
> even though, when I plug in the usb cable, I get a popup on the screen
> of the
> gnome directory browser of the phone's storage.
>
> So, how do I proceed from here?
>
> Thax to all wammu users for any help with this.

Have you used this before and it worked?  I think that application is
only for non-smartphones.  If Nautilus is showing the files, then wammu
is probably not going to work.

Re: Wammu questions

jd1008

On 06/07/2017 09:45 PM, Samuel Sieb wrote:

> On 06/07/2017 06:46 PM, JD wrote:
>> On a machine which has installed
>>
>> gammu-libs
>> dialog
>> gammu
>> python-gammu
>> wammu
>>
>> wammu configure (using automatic detection) is unable to find a
>> connected phone,
>> even though, when I plug in the usb cable, I get a popup on the
>> screen of the
>> gnome directory browser of the phone's storage.
>>
>> So, how do I proceed from here?
>>
>> Thax to all wammu users for any help with this.
>
> Have you used this before and it worked?  I think that application is
> only for non-smartphones.  If Nautilus is showing the files, then
> wammu is probably not going to work.
I searched for other such tools for "android smart phones"
but so far, the overwhelming majority of them are for Widoze.
Kde Connect  seems to require that the phone itself install the
other part of the kde connect. But I Have not tried it yet.

Re: Wammu questions

Samuel Sieb
On 06/08/2017 01:04 PM, JD wrote:

> On 06/07/2017 09:45 PM, Samuel Sieb wrote:
>> On 06/07/2017 06:46 PM, JD wrote:
>>> wammu configure (using automatic detection) is unable to find a
>>> connected phone,
>>> even though, when I plug in the usb cable, I get a popup on the
>>> screen of the
>>> gnome directory browser of the phone's storage.
>>>
>>> So, how do I proceed from here?
>>>
>>> Thax to all wammu users for any help with this.
>>
>> Have you used this before and it worked?  I think that application is
>> only for non-smartphones.  If Nautilus is showing the files, then
>> wammu is probably not going to work.
> I searched for other such tools for "android smart phones"
> but so far, the overwhelming majority of them are for Widoze.
> Kde Connect  seems to require that the phone itself install the
> other part of the kde connect. But I Have not tried it yet.

What are you trying to do?

Re: Wammu questions

jd1008

On 06/08/2017 02:32 PM, Samuel Sieb wrote:

> On 06/08/2017 01:04 PM, JD wrote:

>>> Have you used this before and it worked?  I think that application
>>> is only for non-smartphones.  If Nautilus is showing the files, then
>>> wammu is probably not going to work.
>> I searched for other such tools for "android smart phones"
>> but so far, the overwhelming majority of them are for Widoze.
>> Kde Connect  seems to require that the phone itself install the
>> other part of the kde connect. But I Have not tried it yet.
>
> What are you trying to do?

I want to copy over from old phone to new phone the call log and the SMS
messages.

Thanx for any help.

PS: I tried to use kde connect

#
# ls -l /dev/libmtp-4-1
lrwxrwxrwx. 1 root root 15 Jun  8 20:55 /dev/libmtp-4-1 -> bus/usb/004/010

#  /usr/bin/kdeconnect-cli -d bus/usb/004/010
Qt: Session management error: None of the authentication protocols
specified are supported
kdeconnect-cli(6681)/kdeui (kdelibs): Session bus not found
To circumvent this problem try the following command (with Linux and bash)
export $(dbus-launch)
KCrash: Application 'kdeconnect-cli' crashing...
KCrash: Attempting to start /usr/libexec/kde4/drkonqi from kdeinit
KCrash: Connect
sock_file=/kroot/.kde/socket-localhost.localdomain/kdeinit4__0
Warning: connect() failed: : Connection refused
KCrash: Attempting to start /usr/libexec/kde4/drkonqi directly
drkonqi(6682)/kdeui (kdelibs): Session bus not found
To circumvent this problem try the following command (with Linux and bash)
export $(dbus-launch)

#  /usr/bin/kdeconnect-cli -d /dev/bus/usb/004/010
Qt: Session management error: None of the authentication protocols
specified are supported
kdeconnect-cli(6873)/kdeui (kdelibs): Session bus not found
To circumvent this problem try the following command (with Linux and bash)
export $(dbus-launch)
KCrash: Application 'kdeconnect-cli' crashing...
KCrash: Attempting to start /usr/libexec/kde4/drkonqi from kdeinit
KCrash: Connect
sock_file=/kroot/.kde/socket-localhost.localdomain/kdeinit4__0
Warning: connect() failed: : Connection refused
KCrash: Attempting to start /usr/libexec/kde4/drkonqi directly
drkonqi(6874)/kdeui (kdelibs): Session bus not found
To circumvent this problem try the following command (with Linux and bash)
export $(dbus-launch)

So, it seems I am stuck ....???

P.S: On the phone the kde connect app is running and says:

Available Devices

Re: Wammu questions

Samuel Sieb
On 06/08/2017 02:12 PM, JD wrote:
> On 06/08/2017 02:32 PM, Samuel Sieb wrote:
>> What are you trying to do?
>
> I want to copy over from old phone to new phone the call log and the SMS
> messages.

It would help if you had said what phones you have.  However, that is
something that is generally hard to do with current phones.  I have LG
phones and LG provides an app to do that, but it only works to restore
on an LG phone.  I have used an app before that did that, but I think it
stopped working with newer Android versions.

> Thanx for any help.
>
> PS: I tried to use kde connect

I've never tried it, so I can't help there.

Re: Wammu questions

Ed Greshko
On 06/09/17 05:12, JD wrote:
> I want to copy over from old phone to new phone the call log and the
> SMS messages.
>
> Thanx for any help.
>
> PS: I tried to use kde connect

I use KDE connect quite frequently.  It is good and works well for
what/how it is designed.  It is designed to...

- Shared clipboard: copy and paste between your devices.
- Share files and URLs to your computer from any app, without wires.
- Virtual touchpad: Use your phone screen as your computer's touchpad.
- Notifications sync (4.3+): Read your Android notifications from the
desktop.
- Multimedia remote control: Use your phone as a remote for Linux media
players.
- WiFi connection: no USB wire or bluetooth needed.
- End-to-end TLS encryption: your information is safe.

It is also integrated quite nicely with Dolphin on KDE allowing you GUI
access to the phone's file system to selectively download pictures and such.

It doesn't have the ability to do what you're attempting.

--
Fedora Users List - The place to go to speculate endlessly

Re: Wammu questions

Rick Stevens-4
On 06/08/2017 03:45 PM, Ed Greshko wrote:

> On 06/09/17 05:12, JD wrote:
>> I want to copy over from old phone to new phone the call log and the
>> SMS messages.
>>
>> Thanx for any help.
>>
>> PS: I tried to use kde connect
>

> I use KDE connect quite frequently.  It is good and works well for
> what/how it is designed.  It is designed to...
>
> - Shared clipboard: copy and paste between your devices.
> - Share files and URLs to your computer from any app, without wires.
> - Virtual touchpad: Use your phone screen as your computer's touchpad.
> - Notifications sync (4.3+): Read your Android notifications from the
> desktop.
> - Multimedia remote control: Use your phone as a remote for Linux media
> players.
> - WiFi connection: no USB wire or bluetooth needed.
> - End-to-end TLS encryption: your information is safe.
>
> It is also integrated quite nicely with Dolphin on KDE allowing you GUI
> access to the phone's file system to selectively download pictures and such.
>
> It doesn't have the ability to do what you're attempting.

The SMS data is in a protected directory on Android phones. I believe
the call logs are as well. Unless your phone is rooted, you won't have
access to them. There are utilities out there in Android-land that will
let you back up SMS data and call logs, or you can root your device.

From what I can remember, the SMS data is in

        /data/data/com.android.providers.telephony/databases/mmssms.db

on the phone. Unless you're rooted, /data reports as an empty directory.
Android is essentially saying "Nah, it isn't empty, but you ain't root
so you can't see what's here. So there! Nyah! Thhpt!" <insert emoji
with a thumbed nose here>

There are times I absolutely hate Android. It's my phone. I should be
able to do what I want with it. Why the hell can't I move stuff to and
from my SD card as I see fit? Truly annoying.

Re: Wammu questions

jd1008

On Thu, Jun 8, 2017 at 11:58 PM, Rick Stevens <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 06/08/2017 03:45 PM, Ed Greshko wrote:
> On 06/09/17 05:12, JD wrote:
>> I want to copy over from old phone to new phone the call log and the
>> SMS messages.
>>
>> Thanx for any help.
>>
>> PS: I tried to use kde connect
>

> I use KDE connect quite frequently.  It is good and works well for
> what/how it is designed.  It is designed to...
>
> - Shared clipboard: copy and paste between your devices.
> - Share files and URLs to your computer from any app, without wires.
> - Virtual touchpad: Use your phone screen as your computer's touchpad.
> - Notifications sync (4.3+): Read your Android notifications from the
> desktop.
> - Multimedia remote control: Use your phone as a remote for Linux media
> players.
> - WiFi connection: no USB wire or bluetooth needed.
> - End-to-end TLS encryption: your information is safe.
>
> It is also integrated quite nicely with Dolphin on KDE allowing you GUI
> access to the phone's file system to selectively download pictures and such.
>
> It doesn't have the ability to do what you're attempting.

The SMS data is in a protected directory on Android phones. I believe
the call logs are as well. Unless your phone is rooted, you won't have
access to them. There are utilities out there in Android-land that will
let you back up SMS data and call logs, or you can root your device.

From what I can remember, the SMS data is in

        /data/data/com.android.providers.telephony/databases/mmssms.db

on the phone. Unless you're rooted, /data reports as an empty directory.
Android is essentially saying "Nah, it isn't empty, but you ain't root
so you can't see what's here. So there! Nyah! Thhpt!" <insert emoji
with a thumbed nose here>

There are times I absolutely hate Android. It's my phone. I should be
able to do what I want with it. Why the hell can't I move stuff to and
from my SD card as I see fit? Truly annoying.

says you can
  • See Messages and Call logs
  • ​Not sure if that means I would be able to copy them to linux.

    Re: Wammu questions

    Samuel Sieb
    On 06/08/2017 07:40 PM, JD wrote:
    > This web site
    > https://www.maketecheasier.com/airdroid-connect-android-phone-to-linux/
    > says you can
    > # See Messages and Call logs

    Airdroid lets you view messages and the call logs, but it doesn't let
    you download them in bulk and it definitely doesn't let you upload them.