Video editing disaster

Wade Hampton-2
I am trying out multiple video editors on Fedora, with very poor results and a ton of crashes.
Anyone have recommendations on how to stablize one of these or can you recommend a
video editor that just works (like kdenlive used to when I used it last a year ago)?

I am having the same results on two Fedora 25, 64-bit systems, fully updated.  The packages
are from rpmfusion and on one of the two systems from unitedrpms.  My main system is an
older 6-core AMD with 8G of RAM so it should handle it.

The files I am testing with are:
  JPG images from a DSLR
  Quicktime from my DSLR (MVI_xxx.MOV),
  Movie from my Android phone xxxxxxxxx.m2ts
  Movie from a DVD xxx.mpg
  Movie from a digital camcorder (Sony AVCHD):   xxxx.MTS

KDENLIVE:
My goto editor was Kdenlive, but it won't open files.  I keep getting "clip is invalid".
The terminal outputs:

mlt_repository_init: failed to dlopen /usr/lib64/mlt/libmltavformat.so
  (/lib64/libavdevice.so.57: symbol av_buffersink_get_sample_aspect_ratio, version LIBAVFILTER_6 not defined in file libavfilter.so.6 with link time reference)

I think there is a lib miss-match.

PITIVI:
Pitivi is nice, but I can't keep it running.  Multiple core dumps.

OPENSHOT:

I really love OpenShot.  I tried the one from rpmfusion and it crashed all the time,
for example when trying transitions.  I also tried the latest version via AppImage:

  OpenShot-v2.3.3-x86_64.AppImage

This seemed much more stable, but I could still crash it with transitions, adding
an MP3 file for audio, etc.

Anyone have a good, stable video editor or have suggestions on how to run one of these
in a stable platform?

Note, I am filing bug reports on many of these crashes....

Wade Hampton

Re: Video editing disaster

Tom Horsley-5
On Fri, 26 May 2017 20:53:36 -0400
Wade Hampton wrote:

> Anyone have recommendations on how to stablize one of these or can you
> recommend a
> video editor that just works

I've never gotten any video editor on linux to work well,
but for just editing out commercials from shows I download
from my TiVo, I've been using a bunch of scripts that
use ffmpeg to cut and encode the bits between commercials
then concat them back together. An earlier version of
the scripts I use now is on my web page at:

http://tomhorsley.com/game/ffmpeg.html

OK (but complicated and slow) for linear editing, but if
that's all you need you might be able to steal some of
the ideas.

Re: Video editing disaster

stan
Wade Hampton <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I am trying out multiple video editors on Fedora, with very poor
> results and a ton of crashes.
> Anyone have recommendations on how to stablize one of these or can you
> recommend a
> video editor that just works (like kdenlive used to when I used it
> last a year ago)?

I haven't used a video editor for a while, but I found that avidemux
worked OK for the simple tasks I was doing (cutting out video).  I used
the qt version, though I think it comes in a gtk version as well.  At
least, it used to.

I've also done what Tom recommended, used ffmpeg to just truncate
video.  It can do really sophisticated things with filters, and
parallel pipelines, and sound.  But it is command line rather than
gui.  And to use it properly, I think I would have to be more
knowledgeable about video.

And I've meant to, but haven't got around to learning, and using,
blender. I think that might be overkill for your needs if they are
simple.

Re: Video editing disaster

Gour
On Fri, 26 May 2017 20:53:36 -0400
Wade Hampton <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Anyone have a good, stable video editor or have suggestions on how to run one
> of these in a stable platform?

In the past I was using Cinellerra (CV version), but it was not on Fedora.

Now, when i run Fedora (and I'm quite happy with it), I can recommend Shotcut
(https://shotcut.org/).

Sincerely,
Gour

--
One who sees inaction in action, and action in inaction,
is intelligent among men, and he is in the transcendental position,

Re: Video editing disaster

Roger
Have you looked at Blender
It has a pretty good video editing system
Roger

[...]

Samuel Sieb
On 05/26/2017 05:53 PM, Wade Hampton wrote:
> KDENLIVE:

A few months ago, my son had to edit a video for school.  This was the
only one that was stable enough to finish the project.

> My goto editor was Kdenlive, but it won't open files.  I keep getting
> "clip is invalid".
> The terminal outputs:
>
> mlt_repository_init: failed to dlopen /usr/lib64/mlt/libmltavformat.so
>    (/lib64/libavdevice.so.57: symbol
> av_buffersink_get_sample_aspect_ratio, version LIBAVFILTER_6 not defined
> in file libavfilter.so.6 with link time reference)
>
> I think there is a lib miss-match.

Yes, you should figure out what's happening here.

What is the output of:
rpm -qf /usr/lib64/mlt/libmltavformat.so /lib64/libavdevice.so.57

On F25, mine is:
mlt-freeworld-6.4.1-1.fc25.x86_64
libavdevice-3.1.7-1.fc25.x86_64

Re: Video editing disaster

Klaus-Peter Schrage
Recently, I had some  (not too extensive) sessions in video editing -
cutting an mp4 file, adding some transitions, recode to mp4 again,
without a single crash, using
Flowblade.
See also:
https://opensource.com/life/16/9/10-reasons-flowblade-linux-video-editor?sc_cid=70160000000QyBkAAK

Am 27.05.2017 um 02:53 schrieb Wade Hampton:

> I am trying out multiple video editors on Fedora, with very poor
> results and a ton of crashes.
> Anyone have recommendations on how to stablize one of these or can you
> recommend a
> video editor that just works (like kdenlive used to when I used it
> last a year ago)?
>
> I am having the same results on two Fedora 25, 64-bit systems, fully
> updated.  The packages
> are from rpmfusion and on one of the two systems from unitedrpms.  My
> main system is an
> older 6-core AMD with 8G of RAM so it should handle it.
>
> The files I am testing with are:
>   JPG images from a DSLR
>   Quicktime from my DSLR (MVI_xxx.MOV),
>   Movie from my Android phone xxxxxxxxx.m2ts
>   Movie from a DVD xxx.mpg
>   Movie from a digital camcorder (Sony AVCHD):   xxxx.MTS
>
> KDENLIVE:
> My goto editor was Kdenlive, but it won't open files.  I keep getting
> "clip is invalid".
> The terminal outputs:
>
> mlt_repository_init: failed to dlopen /usr/lib64/mlt/libmltavformat.so
>   (/lib64/libavdevice.so.57: symbol
> av_buffersink_get_sample_aspect_ratio, version LIBAVFILTER_6 not
> defined in file libavfilter.so.6 with link time reference)
>
> I think there is a lib miss-match.
>
> PITIVI:
> Pitivi is nice, but I can't keep it running.  Multiple core dumps.
>
> OPENSHOT:
>
> I really love OpenShot.  I tried the one from rpmfusion and it crashed
> all the time,
> for example when trying transitions.  I also tried the latest version
> via AppImage:
>
>   OpenShot-v2.3.3-x86_64.AppImage
>
> This seemed much more stable, but I could still crash it with
> transitions, adding
> an MP3 file for audio, etc.
>
> Anyone have a good, stable video editor or have suggestions on how to
> run one of these
> in a stable platform?
>
> Note, I am filing bug reports on many of these crashes....
>
> Thanks,
> --
> Wade Hampton

Klaus-Peter Schrage
Fridtjof-Nansen-Str. 21
D-38108 Braunschweig
Tel.:  +49 531 355178
Fax:   +49 531 3557473
Mobil: +49 171 1940 497

Re: Video editing disaster

Wagner Marques

For me, the best was Cinelerra!

The installation of Fedora do not work like like a charm (but I'm not expert)

So, this http://www.bandshed.net/avlinux/ was the solution for me.

Wagner França Marques
954731643
967256050

[...]

Tel.:  <a href="tel:%2B49%20531%20355178" value="+49531355178" target="_blank">+49 531 355178
Fax:   <a href="tel:%2B49%20531%203557473" value="+495313557473" target="_blank">+49 531 3557473
Mobil: <a href="tel:%2B49%20171%201940%20497" value="+491711940497" target="_blank">+49 171 1940 497

Re: Video editing disaster

Tom Horsley-5
On Sun, 28 May 2017 14:27:40 -0300
Wagner Marques wrote:

> So, this http://www.bandshed.net/avlinux/ was the solution for me.

I haven't tried it, but that sounds like the best approach.
Get someone else to do the mind-numbing work of figuring out
which versions of which libraries are compatible together
and use their solution. All the linux multimedia projects
seem to thrive on making incompatible changes every 15 or 20
minutes (and they all depend on each other :-).

You could probably even use it in fedora by unpacking the ISO
and using lots of PATH and LD_LIBRARY_PATH environment variables
(or if that doesn't work, use chroot).

Re: Video editing disaster

Wagner Marques

I did not realize that unpacking the ISO could be a really nice idea...

To my next work with videos, I will try it, for sure.

Thanks a lot

Wagner França Marques
954731643
967256050

Wagner Marques wrote:

> So, this http://www.bandshed.net/avlinux/ was the solution for me.

I haven't tried it, but that sounds like the best approach.
Get someone else to do the mind-numbing work of figuring out
which versions of which libraries are compatible together
and use their solution. All the linux multimedia projects
seem to thrive on making incompatible changes every 15 or 20
minutes (and they all depend on each other :-).

You could probably even use it in fedora by unpacking the ISO
and using lots of PATH and LD_LIBRARY_PATH environment variables
(or if that doesn't work, use chroot).

Re: Video editing disaster

Wade Hampton-2
One suggestion was Cinelerra.  I tried the GG version 5.1
and it worked.  However it would play and not stop.  Also,
I rendered to WEBM and the result was purple.

I loaded handbrake and it wanted me to erase some program
and install a new ffmpeg.  That fixed kdenlive which now works
great on Fedora.

I hope that the developers of pitivi and OpenShot can fix the
stability issues.

Another suggestion was bandshed.  I'll have to check it out:
> So, this http://www.bandshed.net/avlinux/ was the solution for me.

Right now, I would say video editing is a challenge.

Cheers,
--
Wade Hampton

On Fri, May 26, 2017 at 8:53 PM, Wade Hampton <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Why not fedora spin for cinelerra? It would not be great?

Wagner França Marques
954731643
967256050

> [...]

for example when trying transitions.  I also tried the latest version via AppImage:

  OpenShot-v2.3.3-x86_64.AppImag

This seemed much more stable, but I could still crash it with transitions, adding
an MP3 file for audio, etc.

Anyone have a good, stable video editor or have suggestions on how to run one of these
in a stable platform?

Note, I am filing bug reports on many of these crashes....

Wade Hampton

Re: Video editing disaster

Samuel Sieb
On 05/26/2017 05:53 PM, Wade Hampton wrote:
> I am trying out multiple video editors on Fedora, with very poor results
> and a ton of crashes.
> Anyone have recommendations on how to stablize one of these or can you
> recommend a
> video editor that just works (like kdenlive used to when I used it last

I haven't tried it out myself yet, but I just discovered that
"flowblade" is available in rpmfusion.

Re: Video editing disaster

Ian Chapman-2
On 27/05/17 08:53, Wade Hampton wrote:
> I am trying out multiple video editors on Fedora, with very poor results
> and a ton of crashes.

There is also LightWorks (https://www.lwks.com). There's an RPM
available for Fedora, although the software does require you to have a
lightworks account but it's free.

--
Ian Chapman.

Re: Video editing disaster

Tim-163
Allegedly, on or about 26 May 2017, Wade Hampton sent:
> I am trying out multiple video editors on Fedora, with very poor
> results and a ton of crashes.

When I tried this, long ago, I came across the same thing.  As well as;
all the video formats you need are encumbered, and probably not even
available for purchase, and a lot of transcoding was required (which is
not only an awful lot of time wasting, but you lose quality doing that).

I gave up, and used Final Cut Pro on my friend's Mac.

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -rsvp
(always current details of the computer that I'm writing this email on)

Boilerplate:  All mail to my mailbox is automatically deleted, there is
no point trying to privately email me, I only get to see the messages