Stuck Maximised

Jonathan Allen
Dear Fedora List,

Going to maximise thunderbird on a graphic screen session, I accidentally
clicked on the box next door and it maximised to being absolutely full
screen, with no top bar and all the normal desktop stuff obscured.  I can
still switch tasks using Alt-Tab, in which case the top bars and the
desktop (I'm using Xfce) reappear for the other task(s).

How can I get thnderbird back to have a normal task appearance?

Jonathan

Re: Stuck Maximised

Stephen Berg (Contractor)-2
On 04/03/2015 06:53 AM, Jonathan Allen wrote:

> Dear Fedora List,
>
> Going to maximise thunderbird on a graphic screen session, I accidentally
> clicked on the box next door and it maximised to being absolutely full
> screen, with no top bar and all the normal desktop stuff obscured.  I can
> still switch tasks using Alt-Tab, in which case the top bars and the
> desktop (I'm using Xfce) reappear for the other task(s).
>
> How can I get thnderbird back to have a normal task appearance?
>
> Jonathan
Have you tried Alt-Space, and then Resize?

--
Stephen Berg
Systems Administrator

Re: Stuck Maximised

Branko Grubic
On Fri, 3 Apr 2015 12:53:55 +0100
Jonathan Allen <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Dear Fedora List,
>
> Going to maximise thunderbird on a graphic screen session, I
> accidentally clicked on the box next door and it maximised to being
> absolutely full screen, with no top bar and all the normal desktop
> stuff obscured.  I can still switch tasks using Alt-Tab, in which
> case the top bars and the desktop (I'm using Xfce) reappear for the
> other task(s).
>
> How can I get thnderbird back to have a normal task appearance?
>
> Jonathan

F11?

Re: Stuck Maximised

Jonathan Allen
> >Going to maximise thunderbird on a graphic screen session, I accidentally
> >clicked on the box next door and it maximised to being absolutely full
> >screen, with no top bar and all the normal desktop stuff obscured.  I can
> >still switch tasks using Alt-Tab, in which case the top bars and the
> >desktop (I'm using Xfce) reappear for the other task(s).
> >
> >How can I get thnderbird back to have a normal task appearance?
>
> Have you tried Alt-Space, and then Resize?

'Resize' is greyed out.  Maximise does nothing and Minimise has its usual
action, but then selecting the task pulls it back to full-full screen.

Jonathan

Re: Stuck Maximised

Jonathan Allen
On Fri, Apr 03, 2015 at 02:21:43PM +0200, bitlord wrote:

> > Going to maximise thunderbird on a graphic screen session, I
> > accidentally clicked on the box next door and it maximised to being
> > absolutely full screen, with no top bar and all the normal desktop
> > stuff obscured.  I can still switch tasks using Alt-Tab, in which
> > case the top bars and the desktop (I'm using Xfce) reappear for the
> > other task(s).
> >
> > How can I get thnderbird back to have a normal task appearance?
>
> F11?

F11 has no (apparent) effect.  Neither do F9-F12.  Alt-F11 starts
Tomboy, so in a sense gets access to the desktop top bar (as opposed
to thunderbird's top bar), but closing that goes back to the stuck max.

Jonathan

Re: Stuck Maximised

Stephen Berg (Contractor)-2
On 04/03/2015 07:52 AM, Jonathan Allen wrote:
> 'Resize' is greyed out. Maximise does nothing and Minimise has its
> usual action, but then selecting the task pulls it back to full-full
> screen. Jonathan

When I have a window non-full screen I can use Resize and the arrow keys
to change the window size.  When I do Alt-Space on a full screen window
there's an "Unmaximize" option.

--
Stephen Berg
Systems Administrator

Re: Stuck Maximised

Jonathan Allen
Stephen,

> >'Resize' is greyed out. Maximise does nothing and Minimise has its
> >usual action, but then selecting the task pulls it back to
> >full-full screen. Jonathan
>
> When I have a window non-full screen I can use Resize and the arrow
> keys to change the window size.  When I do Alt-Space on a full
> screen window there's an "Unmaximize" option.

No, no 'Unmaximise' option here.  Moving the mouse around the full screen, it
won't change to anything except the pointer anywhere around the scrneen edge
except the bottom right corner, but then won't click (left or right) or do
anything.

Jonathan

Re: Stuck Maximised

Branko Grubic
On Fri, 3 Apr 2015 13:57:20 +0100
Jonathan Allen <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Fri, Apr 03, 2015 at 02:21:43PM +0200, bitlord wrote:
> > >
> > > Going to maximise thunderbird on a graphic screen session, I
> > > accidentally clicked on the box next door and it maximised to
> > > being absolutely full screen, with no top bar and all the normal
> > > desktop stuff obscured.  I can still switch tasks using Alt-Tab,
> > > in which case the top bars and the desktop (I'm using Xfce)
> > > reappear for the other task(s).
> > >
> > > How can I get thnderbird back to have a normal task appearance?
> >
> > F11?
>
> F11 has no (apparent) effect.  Neither do F9-F12.  Alt-F11 starts
> Tomboy, so in a sense gets access to the desktop top bar (as opposed
> to thunderbird's top bar), but closing that goes back to the stuck
> max.
>
> Jonathan

I don't know, but if I understand you, you are in fullscreen mode? I'm
not using thunderbird, but firefox, probably is the same (they share a
lot of "technology"), F11 works for fullscreen, also on top bar/panel of
the window you can right click and exit full screen mode.

Re: Stuck Maximised

Jonathan Allen
On Fri, Apr 03, 2015 at 03:13:58PM +0200, bitlord wrote:
> I don't know, but if I understand you, you are in fullscreen mode? I'm
> not using thunderbird, but firefox, probably is the same (they share a
> lot of "technology"), F11 works for fullscreen, also on top bar/panel of
> the window you can right click and exit full screen mode.

Well, I thought it was full-screen.  It looks like super-fullscreen.  The
desktop top bar is obscured.  The task top bar doesn't have a minimise,
maximise or close button in the top right hand corner.  Right click on
the task top bar (which offers File ... Help at the LH end) offers [] Mail
Toolbar and Customise (which add things to the task toolbar).

Jonathan

Re: Stuck Maximised

Ronal B Morse
On Fri, 2015-04-03 at 14:24 +0100, Jonathan Allen wrote:

> On Fri, Apr 03, 2015 at 03:13:58PM +0200, bitlord wrote:
> > I don't know, but if I understand you, you are in fullscreen mode? I'm
> > not using thunderbird, but firefox, probably is the same (they share a
> > lot of "technology"), F11 works for fullscreen, also on top bar/panel of
> > the window you can right click and exit full screen mode.
>
> Well, I thought it was full-screen.  It looks like super-fullscreen.  The
> desktop top bar is obscured.  The task top bar doesn't have a minimise,
> maximise or close button in the top right hand corner.  Right click on
> the task top bar (which offers File ... Help at the LH end) offers [] Mail
> Toolbar and Customise (which add things to the task toolbar).
>
> Jonathan

Try the <esc> key

RBM

Re: Stuck Maximised

Jonathan Allen
Ron,

> > Well, I thought it was full-screen.  It looks like super-fullscreen.  The
> > desktop top bar is obscured.  The task top bar doesn't have a minimise,
> > maximise or close button in the top right hand corner.  Right click on
> > the task top bar (which offers File ... Help at the LH end) offers [] Mail
> > Toolbar and Customise (which add things to the task toolbar).
>
> Try the <esc> key

Nothing at all.

Jonathan

Re: Stuck Maximised

Markus Schönhaber-21
Am 03.04.2015 um 13:53 schrieb Jonathan Allen:

> Going to maximise thunderbird on a graphic screen session, I accidentally
> clicked on the box next door and it maximised to being absolutely full
> screen, with no top bar and all the normal desktop stuff obscured.  I can
> still switch tasks using Alt-Tab, in which case the top bars and the
> desktop (I'm using Xfce) reappear for the other task(s).
>
> How can I get thnderbird back to have a normal task appearance?

Check if thunderbird's localstore.rdf contains the string "fullscreen".
To do that
1. Quit thunderbird.
2. Do a
grep fullscreen ~/.thunderbird/<your profile folder>/localstore.rdf
(replace "<your profile folder>" with the actual name of the profile
folder - probably something like "wxyz1234.default")

If the grep command above doesn't produce any output, the cause of the
problem is something else and I don't any further idea.
If it does generate output, renaming localstore.rdf should put
thunderbird back into windowed mode. Instead of renaming localstore.rdf
you could use the text editor of your choice to change the part of the
file that looks like
sizemode="fullscreen"
sizemode="normal"
This way you won't lose other UI settings as you do if you rename or
delete localstore.rdf.

--
Regards
  mks

Re: Stuck Maximised

poma
On 03.04.2015 13:53, Jonathan Allen wrote:

> Dear Fedora List,
>
> Going to maximise thunderbird on a graphic screen session, I accidentally
> clicked on the box next door and it maximised to being absolutely full
> screen, with no top bar and all the normal desktop stuff obscured.  I can
> still switch tasks using Alt-Tab, in which case the top bars and the
> desktop (I'm using Xfce) reappear for the other task(s).
>
> How can I get thnderbird back to have a normal task appearance?
>
> Jonathan

Window Manager (xfwm4)
Handles the placement of windows on the screen.
http://docs.xfce.org/xfce/xfwm4/start

Introduction
http://docs.xfce.org/xfce/xfwm4/introduction

The Xfce 4 Window Manager is part of the Xfce Desktop Environment. ...
The window manager is responsible for the placement of windows on the screen, provides the window decorations and allows you for instance to move, resize or close them. ...

Maximize / unmaximize windows
http://docs.xfce.org/xfce/xfwm4/getting-stated#maximizeunmaximize_windows

You can make any window appear in fullscreen mode (it will then use all the size of your screen without showing the window borders) by using the customizable Alt-F11 keyboard shortcut.

Keyboard Settings
http://docs.xfce.org/xfce/xfwm4/preferences#keyboard

Action:   Window operations menu
Shortcut: Alt+Space
          Fullscreen <-> Leave Fullscreen

How long do you use the Xfce?
http://docs.xfce.org
You know about this page?

Re: Stuck Maximised

Jonathan Allen
On Sat, Apr 04, 2015 at 06:21:53AM +0200, poma wrote:
> Maximize / unmaximize windows
> http://docs.xfce.org/xfce/xfwm4/getting-stated#maximizeunmaximize_windows
>
> You can make any window appear in fullscreen mode (it will then use all the
> size of your screen without showing the window borders) by using the
> customizable Alt-F11 keyboard shortcut.

Hooray - thank you, that's sorted.  Now all I have to do is get the background
to display.  The screen always shows what was last on it when a task closes
and the default wallpaper never appears.  How do I get the desktop and any
still-open tasks to repaint the screen?

Jonathan

Re: Stuck Maximised

poma
On 06.04.2015 17:57, Jonathan Allen wrote:

> On Sat, Apr 04, 2015 at 06:21:53AM +0200, poma wrote:
>> Maximize / unmaximize windows
>> http://docs.xfce.org/xfce/xfwm4/getting-stated#maximizeunmaximize_windows
>>
>> You can make any window appear in fullscreen mode (it will then use all the
>> size of your screen without showing the window borders) by using the
>> customizable Alt-F11 keyboard shortcut.
>
> Hooray - thank you, that's sorted.  Now all I have to do is get the background
> to display.  The screen always shows what was last on it when a task closes
> and the default wallpaper never appears.  How do I get the desktop and any
> still-open tasks to repaint the screen?
>
> Jonathan

Create and log into a new user, see if the problem exists there.

Re: Stuck Maximised

John Morris-6
On Wed, 2015-04-08 at 16:38 +0200, poma wrote:
> On 06.04.2015 17:57, Jonathan Allen wrote:
> > Hooray - thank you, that's sorted.  Now all I have to do is get the background
> > to display.  The screen always shows what was last on it when a task closes
> > and the default wallpaper never appears.  How do I get the desktop and any
> > still-open tasks to repaint the screen?
> >
> > Jonathan
> Create and log into a new user, see if the problem exists there.

And if that doesn't work, got one more idea.  Reading this thread
triggered an old memory, had users getting Firefox stuck in full screen
last year on CentOS 6, never figured out for certain how they (general
public in a library lab) managed the feat but suspected it was abnormal
session termination while full screen.  Remember finding a
sizemode='fullscreen' in localstore.rdf and manually turning that knob
to get em back without nuking their entire .mozilla/firefox directory.
Assume any XUL app also has one, don't have Tbird installed but do have
other XUL apps that do.

Re: Stuck Maximised

Jonathan Allen
John,

> And if that doesn't work, got one more idea.  Reading this thread
> triggered an old memory, had users getting Firefox stuck in full screen
> last year on CentOS 6, never figured out for certain how they (general
> public in a library lab) managed the feat but suspected it was abnormal
> session termination while full screen.  Remember finding a
> sizemode='fullscreen' in localstore.rdf and manually turning that knob
> to get em back without nuking their entire .mozilla/firefox directory.
> Assume any XUL app also has one, don't have Tbird installed but do have
> other XUL apps that do.

It was there alright, but mine (now) says sizemode="normal"

Jonathan

Re: Stuck Maximised ... xfdesktop backdrop

Jonathan Allen
Poma,

> Perhaps we have already solved it, what you say? :)

I did respond to John and confirmed that the size parameter he suggested
did exist, but had the value 'normal'

> Allen asked for another issue - background/wallpaper,
> and still didn't respond about advice offered.

I didn't see a response to that other than logging out and trying other
users.  They are OK, this one user is still stuck.  Any application that
gets the focus re-draws its part of the screen, but everything else just
stays as it was, even the system menus.

On Sun, Apr 12, 2015 at 04:28:02PM +0200, poma wrote:
> Then here's a tip, to not waste time with Xfce configs:
> - backup "stuck" user data
> - delete "stuck" user
> - create homonymous user
> - restore backuped data
> - reconfigure Xfce session

Thank you.  Pretty much done.  It all came back to life with a jiggle
and a poke.  I've lost the weather icons on the top bar and the system
monitor displays, but I think I can live without those.

Jonathan

Re: Stuck Maximised ... xfdesktop backdrop ... xfce4-panel - plugins

poma
On 12.04.2015 18:08, Jonathan Allen wrote:

> On Sun, Apr 12, 2015 at 04:28:02PM +0200, poma wrote:
>> Then here's a tip, to not waste time with Xfce configs:
>> - backup "stuck" user data
>> - delete "stuck" user
>> - create homonymous user
>> - restore backuped data
>> - reconfigure Xfce session
>
> Thank you.  Pretty much done.  It all came back to life with a jiggle
> and a poke.  I've lost the weather icons on the top bar and the system
> monitor displays, but I think I can live without those.
>
> Jonathan

"top bar" == xfce4-panel

http://docs.xfce.org/xfce/xfce4-panel/add-new-items