Re: BTRFS and Nvidia broken on F23 - SOLVED (partly)

Re: BTRFS and Nvidia broken on F23 - SOLVED (partly)

Patrick O'Callaghan-2

On 4 November 2015 at 00:28, Patrick O'Callaghan <[hidden email]> wrote:
I updated to F23 using the approved dnf method, with no errors. Now I have an unusable system because /home is not being mounted.

This just in: updating to kernel 4.2.5-300.fc23.x86_64 has fixed the btrfs issue.

Now I just have to struggle with Nouveau settings to get decent screen resolution until Nvidia drivers appear. Any suggestions would be welcome.

poc

Re: BTRFS and Nvidia broken on F23 - SOLVED (partly)

Stephen Berg (Contractor)-2
> Now I just have to struggle with Nouveau settings to get decent screen
> resolution until Nvidia drivers appear. Any suggestions would be welcome.
>
> poc
I downgraded Xorg to 1.17 and installed the 352.55 driver from Nvidia.
So far it's pretty stable in this setup.  Just have to keep an eye out
for the Nvidia drivers to catch up and to not update Xorg until then.

--
Stephen Berg
Systems Administrator

On 5 November 2015 at 10:40, Stephen Berg (Contractor) <[hidden email]> wrote:
Now I just have to struggle with Nouveau settings to get decent screen
resolution until Nvidia drivers appear. Any suggestions would be welcome.

poc
I downgraded Xorg to 1.17 and installed the 352.55 driver from Nvidia.  So far it's pretty stable in this setup.  Just have to keep an eye out for the Nvidia drivers to catch up and to not update Xorg until then.

How exactly did you do the downgrade? I tried by removing xorg-* and running dnf install xorg* with --releasever=22, followed by dnf downgrade, but it didn't work. The kmod-nvidia gave a dependency error on nvidia-common-something.

poc

Re: BTRFS and Nvidia broken on F23 - SOLVED (partly)

Stephen Berg (Contractor)-2

> On 5 November 2015 at 10:40, Stephen Berg (Contractor) <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> On 11/05/2015 04:33 AM, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
>>
>>> Now I just have to struggle with Nouveau settings to get decent screen
>>> resolution until Nvidia drivers appear. Any suggestions would be welcome.
>>>
>>> poc
>>>
>> I downgraded Xorg to 1.17 and installed the 352.55 driver from Nvidia.  So
>> far it's pretty stable in this setup.  Just have to keep an eye out for the
>> Nvidia drivers to catch up and to not update Xorg until then.
>>
> How exactly did you do the downgrade? I tried by removing xorg-* and
> running dnf install xorg* with --releasever=22, followed by dnf downgrade,
> but it didn't work. The kmod-nvidia gave a dependency error on
> nvidia-common-something.

dnf --showduplicates --allowerasing --releasever=22 downgrade
xorg-x11-server-Xorg

I had removed all nvidia packages before I ran that.  After I got Xorg
downgraded to 1.17 I ran the installer package for the Nvidia driver
that I downloaded from www.geforce.com/drivers

My system is stable in that config, so I didn't try to get a kmod or
akmod driver package installed.  Let the sleeping dog lie!

--
Stephen Berg
Systems Administrator

On 5 November 2015 at 11:05, Stephen Berg (Contractor) <[hidden email]> wrote:
How exactly did you do the downgrade? I tried by removing xorg-* and
running dnf install xorg* with --releasever=22, followed by dnf downgrade,
but it didn't work. The kmod-nvidia gave a dependency error on
nvidia-common-something.

dnf --showduplicates --allowerasing --releasever=22 downgrade xorg-x11-server-Xorg

I had removed all nvidia packages before I ran that.  After I got Xorg downgraded to 1.17 I ran the installer package for the Nvidia driver that I downloaded from www.geforce.com/drivers

My system is stable in that config, so I didn't try to get a kmod or akmod driver package installed.  Let the sleeping dog lie!

Thanks, that's good to know. I think I'll stick with Nouveau for the time being as it's now working acceptably (I had forgotten to remove all the Nvidia stuff, which apparently is the only reasonable way to get Nouveau to activate correctly). Hopefully the new Nvidia drivers will be out soon.

poc