Radeon(Kaveri) missing firmware and lost HW video acceleration?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
9 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Radeon(Kaveri) missing firmware and lost HW video acceleration?

lejeczek
hi fellas

I think I've lost HW video decoding acceleration on  A10
PRO-7800B R7 with recent kernel/mesa.

My kodi was nicely using vdpau until recently, I cannot say
when exactly it happened. Now only SW decoding and high CPU
usage.

I think I have all needed packages installed but vaapi also
seems to be gone, when I do:

[entertainer@swir ~]$ vainfo
libva info: VA-API version 0.40.0
libva info: va_getDriverName() returns 0
libva info: Trying to open /usr/lib64/dri/r600_drv_video.so
libva info: Found init function __vaDriverInit_0_40
libva info: va_openDriver() returns 0
vainfo: VA-API version: 0.40 (libva )
vainfo: Driver version: mesa gallium vaapi
vainfo: Supported profile and entrypoints
       VAProfileNone                   : VAEntrypointVideoProc
# end of output
and there should be more, right?

In dmesg I see:
....
[    2.125588] [drm] initializing kernel modesetting (KAVERI
0x1002:0x130F 0x1849:0x130F 0x00).
[    2.125619] [drm] doorbell mmio base: 0xD0000000
[    2.125620] [drm] doorbell mmio size: 8388608
[    2.125693] ATOM BIOS: 113
[    2.125758] radeon 0000:00:01.0: VRAM: 2048M
0x0000000000000000 - 0x000000007FFFFFFF (2048M used)
[    2.125760] radeon 0000:00:01.0: GTT: 2048M
0x0000000080000000 - 0x00000000FFFFFFFF
[    2.125763] [drm] Detected VRAM RAM=2048M, BAR=256M
[    2.125764] [drm] RAM width 128bits DDR
[    2.125885] [TTM] Zone  kernel: Available graphics
memory: 7184660 kiB
[    2.125887] [TTM] Zone   dma32: Available graphics
memory: 2097152 kiB
[    2.125887] [TTM] Initializing pool allocator
[    2.125891] [TTM] Initializing DMA pool allocator
[    2.125923] [drm] radeon: 2048M of VRAM memory ready
[    2.125923] [drm] radeon: 2048M of GTT memory ready.
[    2.125940] [drm] Loading kaveri Microcode
[    2.126071] [drm] Internal thermal controller without fan
control
[    2.128154] [drm] radeon: dpm initialized
[    2.128175] radeon 0000:00:01.0: Direct firmware load for
radeon/bonaire_uvd.bin failed with error -2
[    2.128177] radeon 0000:00:01.0: radeon_uvd: Can't load
firmware "radeon/bonaire_uvd.bin"
[    2.128840] radeon 0000:00:01.0: Direct firmware load for
radeon/BONAIRE_uvd.bin failed with error -2
[    2.128842] radeon 0000:00:01.0: radeon_uvd: Can't load
firmware "radeon/BONAIRE_uvd.bin"
[    2.129030] radeon 0000:00:01.0: failed UVD (-2) init.

Could you tell your AMD APU(s) is still ok and working in
respect to UVD(video acceleration) in recentkernels/mesas ?

many thanks, L.

.
_______________________________________________
users mailing list -- [hidden email]
To unsubscribe send an email to [hidden email]
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Radeon(Kaveri) missing firmware and lost HW video acceleration?

stan
Not very knowledgeable about this, but I'll try to help.  I'm running a
locally compiled 4.14 kernel from koji.  And my radeon is not the same
as yours.

On Wed, 27 Sep 2017 22:47:59 +0100
lejeczek <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I think I've lost HW video decoding acceleration on  A10
> PRO-7800B R7 with recent kernel/mesa.
>
> My kodi was nicely using vdpau until recently, I cannot say
> when exactly it happened. Now only SW decoding and high CPU
> usage.
>
> I think I have all needed packages installed but vaapi also
> seems to be gone, when I do:
>
> [entertainer@swir ~]$ vainfo
> libva info: VA-API version 0.40.0
> libva info: va_getDriverName() returns 0
> libva info: Trying to open /usr/lib64/dri/r600_drv_video.so
> libva info: Found init function __vaDriverInit_0_40
> libva info: va_openDriver() returns 0
> vainfo: VA-API version: 0.40 (libva )
> vainfo: Driver version: mesa gallium vaapi
> vainfo: Supported profile and entrypoints
>        VAProfileNone                   : VAEntrypointVideoProc
> # end of output
> and there should be more, right?

$ vainfo
libva info: VA-API version 0.39.4
libva info: va_getDriverName() returns 0
libva info: Trying to open /usr/lib64/dri/r600_drv_video.so
libva info: Found init function __vaDriverInit_0_39
libva info: va_openDriver() returns 0
vainfo: VA-API version: 0.39 (libva 1.7.3)
vainfo: Driver version: mesa gallium vaapi
vainfo: Supported profile and entrypoints
      VAProfileMPEG2Simple            : VAEntrypointVLD
      VAProfileMPEG2Main              : VAEntrypointVLD
      VAProfileVC1Simple              : VAEntrypointVLD
      VAProfileVC1Main                : VAEntrypointVLD
      VAProfileVC1Advanced            : VAEntrypointVLD
      VAProfileH264ConstrainedBaseline: VAEntrypointVLD
      VAProfileH264Main               : VAEntrypointVLD
      VAProfileH264High               : VAEntrypointVLD
      VAProfileNone                   : VAEntrypointVideoProc


>
> In dmesg I see:
> ....
> [    2.125588] [drm] initializing kernel modesetting (KAVERI
> 0x1002:0x130F 0x1849:0x130F 0x00).
> [    2.125619] [drm] doorbell mmio base: 0xD0000000
> [    2.125620] [drm] doorbell mmio size: 8388608
> [    2.125693] ATOM BIOS: 113
> [    2.125758] radeon 0000:00:01.0: VRAM: 2048M
> 0x0000000000000000 - 0x000000007FFFFFFF (2048M used)
> [    2.125760] radeon 0000:00:01.0: GTT: 2048M
> 0x0000000080000000 - 0x00000000FFFFFFFF
> [    2.125763] [drm] Detected VRAM RAM=2048M, BAR=256M
> [    2.125764] [drm] RAM width 128bits DDR
> [    2.125885] [TTM] Zone  kernel: Available graphics
> memory: 7184660 kiB

> [    2.125887] [TTM] Zone   dma32: Available graphics
> memory: 2097152 kiB
> [    2.125887] [TTM] Initializing pool allocator
> [    2.125891] [TTM] Initializing DMA pool allocator
> [    2.125923] [drm] radeon: 2048M of VRAM memory ready
> [    2.125923] [drm] radeon: 2048M of GTT memory ready.
> [    2.125940] [drm] Loading kaveri Microcode
> [    2.126071] [drm] Internal thermal controller without fan
> control
> [    2.128154] [drm] radeon: dpm initialized
> [    2.128175] radeon 0000:00:01.0: Direct firmware load for
> radeon/bonaire_uvd.bin failed with error -2
> [    2.128177] radeon 0000:00:01.0: radeon_uvd: Can't load
> firmware "radeon/bonaire_uvd.bin"
> [    2.128840] radeon 0000:00:01.0: Direct firmware load for
> radeon/BONAIRE_uvd.bin failed with error -2
> [    2.128842] radeon 0000:00:01.0: radeon_uvd: Can't load
> firmware "radeon/BONAIRE_uvd.bin"
> [    2.129030] radeon 0000:00:01.0: failed UVD (-2) init.

kernel: [drm] Initialized radeon 2.50.0 20080528 for 0000:01:00.0 on
minor 0
kernel: [drm] UVD initialized successfully.

>
> Could you tell your AMD APU(s) is still ok and working in
> respect to UVD(video acceleration) in recentkernels/mesas ?

When I play a video in mplayer, I see this line in the output.
VO: [vdpau] 1280x720 => 1280x720 Planar YV12
Is that validation?  If not, how would I determine if it is working?
_______________________________________________
users mailing list -- [hidden email]
To unsubscribe send an email to [hidden email]
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Radeon(Kaveri) missing firmware and lost HW video acceleration?

lejeczek


On 28/09/17 17:38, stan wrote:

> Not very knowledgeable about this, but I'll try to help.  I'm running a
> locally compiled 4.14 kernel from koji.  And my radeon is not the same
> as yours.
>
> On Wed, 27 Sep 2017 22:47:59 +0100
> lejeczek <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> I think I've lost HW video decoding acceleration on  A10
>> PRO-7800B R7 with recent kernel/mesa.
>>
>> My kodi was nicely using vdpau until recently, I cannot say
>> when exactly it happened. Now only SW decoding and high CPU
>> usage.
>>
>> I think I have all needed packages installed but vaapi also
>> seems to be gone, when I do:
>>
>> [entertainer@swir ~]$ vainfo
>> libva info: VA-API version 0.40.0
>> libva info: va_getDriverName() returns 0
>> libva info: Trying to open /usr/lib64/dri/r600_drv_video.so
>> libva info: Found init function __vaDriverInit_0_40
>> libva info: va_openDriver() returns 0
>> vainfo: VA-API version: 0.40 (libva )
>> vainfo: Driver version: mesa gallium vaapi
>> vainfo: Supported profile and entrypoints
>>         VAProfileNone                   : VAEntrypointVideoProc
>> # end of output
>> and there should be more, right?
> $ vainfo
> libva info: VA-API version 0.39.4
> libva info: va_getDriverName() returns 0
> libva info: Trying to open /usr/lib64/dri/r600_drv_video.so
> libva info: Found init function __vaDriverInit_0_39
> libva info: va_openDriver() returns 0
> vainfo: VA-API version: 0.39 (libva 1.7.3)
> vainfo: Driver version: mesa gallium vaapi
> vainfo: Supported profile and entrypoints
>        VAProfileMPEG2Simple            : VAEntrypointVLD
>        VAProfileMPEG2Main              : VAEntrypointVLD
>        VAProfileVC1Simple              : VAEntrypointVLD
>        VAProfileVC1Main                : VAEntrypointVLD
>        VAProfileVC1Advanced            : VAEntrypointVLD
>        VAProfileH264ConstrainedBaseline: VAEntrypointVLD
>        VAProfileH264Main               : VAEntrypointVLD
>        VAProfileH264High               : VAEntrypointVLD
>        VAProfileNone                   : VAEntrypointVideoProc
>
>
>> In dmesg I see:
>> ....
>> [    2.125588] [drm] initializing kernel modesetting (KAVERI
>> 0x1002:0x130F 0x1849:0x130F 0x00).
>> [    2.125619] [drm] doorbell mmio base: 0xD0000000
>> [    2.125620] [drm] doorbell mmio size: 8388608
>> [    2.125693] ATOM BIOS: 113
>> [    2.125758] radeon 0000:00:01.0: VRAM: 2048M
>> 0x0000000000000000 - 0x000000007FFFFFFF (2048M used)
>> [    2.125760] radeon 0000:00:01.0: GTT: 2048M
>> 0x0000000080000000 - 0x00000000FFFFFFFF
>> [    2.125763] [drm] Detected VRAM RAM=2048M, BAR=256M
>> [    2.125764] [drm] RAM width 128bits DDR
>> [    2.125885] [TTM] Zone  kernel: Available graphics
>> memory: 7184660 kiB
>> [    2.125887] [TTM] Zone   dma32: Available graphics
>> memory: 2097152 kiB
>> [    2.125887] [TTM] Initializing pool allocator
>> [    2.125891] [TTM] Initializing DMA pool allocator
>> [    2.125923] [drm] radeon: 2048M of VRAM memory ready
>> [    2.125923] [drm] radeon: 2048M of GTT memory ready.
>> [    2.125940] [drm] Loading kaveri Microcode
>> [    2.126071] [drm] Internal thermal controller without fan
>> control
>> [    2.128154] [drm] radeon: dpm initialized
>> [    2.128175] radeon 0000:00:01.0: Direct firmware load for
>> radeon/bonaire_uvd.bin failed with error -2
>> [    2.128177] radeon 0000:00:01.0: radeon_uvd: Can't load
>> firmware "radeon/bonaire_uvd.bin"
>> [    2.128840] radeon 0000:00:01.0: Direct firmware load for
>> radeon/BONAIRE_uvd.bin failed with error -2
>> [    2.128842] radeon 0000:00:01.0: radeon_uvd: Can't load
>> firmware "radeon/BONAIRE_uvd.bin"
>> [    2.129030] radeon 0000:00:01.0: failed UVD (-2) init.
> kernel: [drm] Initialized radeon 2.50.0 20080528 for 0000:01:00.0 on
> minor 0
> kernel: [drm] UVD initialized successfully.
>
>> Could you tell your AMD APU(s) is still ok and working in
>> respect to UVD(video acceleration) in recentkernels/mesas ?
> When I play a video in mplayer, I see this line in the output.
> VO: [vdpau] 1280x720 => 1280x720 Planar YV12
> Is that validation?  If not, how would I determine if it is working?
It seems that your Fedora has it all ok.
In Kodi you would only make sure vdpau is enabled in
settings, then play HD 1080p content & during playback press
"o" to see stats - (SW) means only software decoding.
What Readeon do you run? Is it an APU?

thanks!

> _______________________________________________
> users mailing list -- [hidden email]
> To unsubscribe send an email to [hidden email]


.
_______________________________________________
users mailing list -- [hidden email]
To unsubscribe send an email to [hidden email]
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Radeon(Kaveri) missing firmware and lost HW video acceleration?

stan
On Thu, 28 Sep 2017 20:15:19 +0100
lejeczek <[hidden email]> wrote:

> It seems that your Fedora has it all ok.
> In Kodi you would only make sure vdpau is enabled in
> settings, then play HD 1080p content & during playback press
> "o" to see stats - (SW) means only software decoding.
> What Readeon do you run? Is it an APU?

No, it isn't an APU, it is an older separate card. I think it is a 6xxx
series. Anyway, when I run kodi on a video, it shows vdpau running, so
vdpau is enabled.

I did a quick search and didn't find any recent issues for bonaire.  It
might only be your hardware, or it could be a regression.  I'm not sure
where you should go from here, maybe ask on the kernel list, showing
the uvd load errors?  Open a bugzilla against the kernel?
_______________________________________________
users mailing list -- [hidden email]
To unsubscribe send an email to [hidden email]
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Radeon(Kaveri) missing firmware and lost HW video acceleration?

stan
On Thu, 28 Sep 2017 13:12:22 -0700
stan <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Thu, 28 Sep 2017 20:15:19 +0100
> lejeczek <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > It seems that your Fedora has it all ok.
> > In Kodi you would only make sure vdpau is enabled in
> > settings, then play HD 1080p content & during playback press
> > "o" to see stats - (SW) means only software decoding.
> > What Readeon do you run? Is it an APU?  
>
> No, it isn't an APU, it is an older separate card. I think it is a
> 6xxx series. Anyway, when I run kodi on a video, it shows vdpau
> running, so vdpau is enabled.
>
> I did a quick search and didn't find any recent issues for bonaire.
> It might only be your hardware, or it could be a regression.  I'm not
> sure where you should go from here, maybe ask on the kernel list,
> showing the uvd load errors?  Open a bugzilla against the kernel?

What happens if you boot an older kernel?  That would indicate whether
it is your hardware or the kernel causing the problem.
_______________________________________________
users mailing list -- [hidden email]
To unsubscribe send an email to [hidden email]
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Radeon(Kaveri) missing firmware and lost HW video acceleration?

lejeczek


On 28/09/17 23:43, stan wrote:

> On Thu, 28 Sep 2017 13:12:22 -0700
> stan <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 28 Sep 2017 20:15:19 +0100
>> lejeczek <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> It seems that your Fedora has it all ok.
>>> In Kodi you would only make sure vdpau is enabled in
>>> settings, then play HD 1080p content & during playback press
>>> "o" to see stats - (SW) means only software decoding.
>>> What Readeon do you run? Is it an APU?
>> No, it isn't an APU, it is an older separate card. I think it is a
>> 6xxx series. Anyway, when I run kodi on a video, it shows vdpau
>> running, so vdpau is enabled.
>>
>> I did a quick search and didn't find any recent issues for bonaire.
>> It might only be your hardware, or it could be a regression.  I'm not
>> sure where you should go from here, maybe ask on the kernel list,
>> showing the uvd load errors?  Open a bugzilla against the kernel?
> What happens if you boot an older kernel?  That would indicate whether
> it is your hardware or the kernel causing the problem.
yes, but how can it be the hardware if hardware did not
change, had worked for long time until some time ago.

> _______________________________________________
> users mailing list -- [hidden email]
> To unsubscribe send an email to [hidden email]


.
_______________________________________________
users mailing list -- [hidden email]
To unsubscribe send an email to [hidden email]
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Radeon(Kaveri) missing firmware and lost HW video acceleration?

Tim-163
Allegedly, on or about 29 September 2017, lejeczek sent:
> but how can it be the hardware if hardware did not
> change, had worked for long time until some time ago.

Hardware does fail, and not always completely fail in one go.

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -rsvp
Linux 4.12.13-300.fc26.x86_64 #1 SMP Thu Sep 14 16:00:38 UTC 2017 x86_64

Boilerplate:  All mail to my mailbox is automatically deleted.
There is no point trying to privately email me, I only get to see
the messages posted to the mailing list.

If you don't understand how e-mail threading works, then follow the
instructions given by those who do, and don't argue with them.
_______________________________________________
users mailing list -- [hidden email]
To unsubscribe send an email to [hidden email]
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Radeon(Kaveri) missing firmware and lost HW video acceleration?

stan
In reply to this post by lejeczek
On Fri, 29 Sep 2017 09:11:40 +0100
lejeczek <[hidden email]> wrote:
 
> yes, but how can it be the hardware if hardware did not
> change, had worked for long time until some time ago.

What Tim said.  How about dust in the case / overheating?  It is likely
this is a software problem in the kernel driver, but it is always
possible it isn't.  Trying an older kernel eliminates that possibility
if it works.

You can get older kernel packages here:
https://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/packageinfo?packageID=8

and install them after downloading using the

dnf -C install [package names]

command in the directory where they are.
_______________________________________________
users mailing list -- [hidden email]
To unsubscribe send an email to [hidden email]
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Radeon(Kaveri) missing firmware and lost HW video acceleration?

lejeczek


On 29/09/17 19:08, stan wrote:

> On Fri, 29 Sep 2017 09:11:40 +0100
> lejeczek <[hidden email]> wrote:
>    
>> yes, but how can it be the hardware if hardware did not
>> change, had worked for long time until some time ago.
> What Tim said.  How about dust in the case / overheating?  It is likely
> this is a software problem in the kernel driver, but it is always
> possible it isn't.  Trying an older kernel eliminates that possibility
> if it works.
>
> You can get older kernel packages here:
> https://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/packageinfo?packageID=8
>
> and install them after downloading using the
>
> dnf -C install [package names]
>
> command in the directory where they are.

seems it's a regression.

Anybody use Radeon APU(Kaveri) - you probably experience the
same problem - your HW UVD & VCE then consequently VDPAU
(mybe VAAPI too)
is gone.
Kernel that brings UVD & VCE back(firmware loads
successfully) is 4.11.8-300.fc26.x86_64.
4.13.x from f27 also carries this regression.
But even with 4.11.x to me seems Mesa has a problem for I do
not have VDPAU.
If you have something to chip in, help fix it maybe - bug
report: https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1496833

regards.

> _______________________________________________
> users mailing list -- [hidden email]
> To unsubscribe send an email to [hidden email]


.
_______________________________________________
users mailing list -- [hidden email]
To unsubscribe send an email to [hidden email]