Persistent root / filesystem

Bugzilla from Vasilis.Vlachoudis@cern.ch
Hi all,

I have remastered the Fedora Live CD to run through Virtual Box and to
mount automatically the ext3 virtual partitions. My problem is, when I
install an additional package or modify a file from the root filesystem,
the changes are not persistent. Is there a way to make them persistent,
something like unionfs with a partition of the virtual disks?

Thanks in advance
Vasilis

Re: Persistent root / filesystem

Bruno Wolff III
On Tue, Dec 15, 2009 at 13:32:22 +0100,
  Vasilis Vlachoudis <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have remastered the Fedora Live CD to run through Virtual Box and
> to mount automatically the ext3 virtual partitions. My problem is,
> when I install an additional package or modify a file from the root
> filesystem, the changes are not persistent. Is there a way to make
> them persistent, something like unionfs with a partition of the
> virtual disks?

There is a way to do this on USB live images. Doing this on a cd or dvd
is going to be harder and isn't supported anywhere I know of.

(There may be a problem with peristence on F12 as I was just playing with
that and there was a problem during the boot process. I haven't double
checked this yet, so it might just be user error.)