PATH

Roger
My $PATH has a trailing slash in the last directory path, is there any
way to remove it?
AS example: echo $PATH
/opt/OpenPrinting-Gutenprint/sbin:/opt/OpenPrinting-Gutenprint/bin:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/games:/usr/local/I've
been googling with no luck.
thanks in advance
Roger

Re: PATH

Ralf Corsepius
On 10/24/2014 10:33 AM, Roger wrote:
> My $PATH has a trailing slash in the last directory path, is there any
> way to remove it?
> AS example: echo $PATH
> /opt/OpenPrinting-Gutenprint/sbin:/opt/OpenPrinting-Gutenprint/bin:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/games:/usr/local/I've
> been googling with no luck.
> thanks in advance

Well, you could remove it, but this would be playing with symptoms.

Instead you should try to investigate the cause. Candidates to look into
would be your account's ~/.profile and ~/.bashrc, and the scripts below
/etc/profile.d, should you have customized these.

You should also examine everything below /opt/OpenPrinting-Gutenprint
and /usr/local/ as these files are out of rpm's control and therefore
would seem likely to me to be the origin of this.

Ralf

Re: PATH

Roger
<snip>
>> My $PATH has a trailing slash in the last directory path, is there any
>> way to remove it?
>
> Instead you should try to investigate the cause. Candidates to look
> into would be your account's ~/.profile and ~/.bashrc, and the scripts
> below /etc/profile.d, should you have customized these.
>
> Ralf
> </snip>
Hi Ralf
Thank you.
  It was in the .profile - removed and problem went away.
Dumb huh!
Thanks again
Roger

Re: PATH

Rolf Turner
On 25/10/14 09:54, Roger wrote:

> <snip>
>>> My $PATH has a trailing slash in the last directory path, is there any
>>> way to remove it?
>>
>> Instead you should try to investigate the cause. Candidates to look
>> into would be your account's ~/.profile and ~/.bashrc, and the scripts
>> below /etc/profile.d, should you have customized these.
>>
>> Ralf
>> </snip>
> Hi Ralf
> Thank you.
>   It was in the .profile - removed and problem went away.
> Dumb huh!

There are situations in which that final slash is needed or at least
useful.  The one with which I am familiar is setting input paths for TeX
or LaTeX.  If you want tex or latex to descend the directory tree when
looking for appropriate input (e.g. *.sty) files, you need that trailing
slash.

cheers,

Rolf Turner

--