OT: Metapost experts help with soccerball

OT: Metapost experts help with soccerball

Antonio Olivares
Dear Fedora users,

Is there anyone that can help create a soccerball image using metapost?

Use exact coordinates as recommended in

http://www.hoist-point.com/soccerball.htm

I created one using gnuplot but it is just an approximation, the numbers are not correct.  The picture can be found

http://plotshare.com/index.ws/plot/166954608

It is not mathematically correct, I believe that using metapost it can be drawn more precise, but my skills are limited.  If anyone can help with this, it is greatly appreciated.

Best Regards,

Antonio

Re: OT: Metapost experts help with soccerball

José Matos-2

On Sunday, 6 August 2017 19.40.55 WEST Antonio Olivares wrote:

> Dear Fedora users,

> Is there anyone that can help create a soccerball image using metapost?

> Use exact coordinates as recommended in

> http://www.hoist-point.com/soccerball.htm

> I created one using gnuplot but it is just an approximation, the numbers are

> not correct. The picture can be found

> http://plotshare.com/index.ws/plot/166954608

> It is not mathematically correct, I believe that using metapost it can be

> drawn more precise, but my skills are limited. If anyone can help with

> this, it is greatly appreciated.

> Best Regards,

> Antonio

I have never used metapost but using tikz I found this:

https://tex.stackexchange.com/questions/269108/truncated-icosahedron-in-tikz

Lately I have been using tikz and I like the final result.

José Matos

 Subject: Re: OT:  Metapost experts help with soccerball
 To: [hidden email]
 Date: Sunday, August 6, 2017, 2:45 PM

 #yiv0148390021 p, #yiv0148390021 li {white-space:pre-wrap;}

 wrote:

[...]

 -----Inline Attachment Follows-----

It does not have the pentagons filled with color.  This does not make the picture come to life.

There might be some mathematica notebooks out there, but they are not free, and cannot translate to code that we can use such as octave, or maxima.  I have found a Geogebra page which does have the filled pentagons

https://www.geogebra.org/material/show/id/AfNmbnDD

But I would prefer it be in metapost.  Not all my machines have texlive, not all of them have java as well.  I hope that with a bit of time, someone who knows metapost can help translate the code from the hoist point website which is more precise.  Or a more solidly colored geogebra one.

[...]

  @all,
I have found the following page which may help generate  a nice looking soccer ball

https://mathematica.stackexchange.com/questions/118604/3d-graphic-of-soccer-ball

Problem it is for mathematica, converting to maxima, octave, plain gnuplot, or metapost would be optimal.

Best Regards,

Antonio