OT: Firefox + html5 + Youtube "Live" vids

OT: Firefox + html5 + Youtube "Live" vids

jd1008
I have enabled html5, and yet youtube claims
      Browser does not currently recognize any of video formats available
       Click here to visit our frequently asked questions about HTML5 video.

When I do  click on "Click here ....etc"
I get the same page tat I access directly with the URL
https://www.youtube.com/html5

and it shows

The HTML5 player is currently used when possible.

For a sample live video, I clicked on
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RtU_mdL2vBM

just in case you wanted to know what I clicked on.

Thanx!!

Re: OT: Firefox + html5 + Youtube "Live" vids

stan
On Fri, 16 Jun 2017 12:48:08 -0600
JD <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I have enabled html5, and yet youtube claims
>       Browser does not currently recognize any of video formats
> available Click here to visit our frequently asked questions about
> HTML5 video.
>

> When I do  click on "Click here ....etc"
> I get the same page tat I access directly with the URL
> https://www.youtube.com/html5
>
> and it shows
>
> The HTML5 player is currently used when possible.
>
> For a sample live video, I clicked on
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RtU_mdL2vBM

When I view that link with the Fedora provided firefox, and right click
on the video, and select stats for nerds, it shows that I am seeing it
via webm codec=vp9, which is an html5 format.  I didn't do anything
special, so I think you have configured your browser in some way that
prevents webm from playing.  Add-ons?  Special about:config settings?

Re: OT: Firefox + html5 + Youtube "Live" vids

Ahmad Samir
On 16 June 2017 at 23:40, stan <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Fri, 16 Jun 2017 12:48:08 -0600
> JD <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> I have enabled html5, and yet youtube claims
>>       Browser does not currently recognize any of video formats
>> available Click here to visit our frequently asked questions about
>> HTML5 video.
>>

>> When I do  click on "Click here ....etc"
>> I get the same page tat I access directly with the URL
>> https://www.youtube.com/html5
>>
>> and it shows
>>
>> The HTML5 player is currently used when possible.
>>
>> For a sample live video, I clicked on
>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RtU_mdL2vBM
>
> When I view that link with the Fedora provided firefox, and right click
> on the video, and select stats for nerds, it shows that I am seeing it
> via webm codec=vp9, which is an html5 format.  I didn't do anything
> special, so I think you have configured your browser in some way that
> prevents webm from playing.  Add-ons?  Special about:config settings?

Also what's the status of the availability of codecs as shown on the
/html5 page on youtube? it pretty much tells you what it thinks your
setup can and cannot play.

--
Ahmad Samir