OT: Firefox + html5 + Youtube "Live" vids

OT: Firefox + html5 + Youtube "Live" vids

jd1008
I have enabled html5, and yet youtube claims
      Browser does not currently recognize any of video formats available
       Click here to visit our frequently asked questions about HTML5 video.

When I do  click on "Click here ....etc"
I get the same page tat I access directly with the URL
https://www.youtube.com/html5

and it shows

The HTML5 player is currently used when possible.

For a sample live video, I clicked on
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RtU_mdL2vBM

just in case you wanted to know what I clicked on.

Thanx!!

Re: OT: Firefox + html5 + Youtube "Live" vids

stan
On Fri, 16 Jun 2017 12:48:08 -0600
JD <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I have enabled html5, and yet youtube claims
>       Browser does not currently recognize any of video formats
> available Click here to visit our frequently asked questions about
> HTML5 video.
>

> When I do  click on "Click here ....etc"
> I get the same page tat I access directly with the URL
> https://www.youtube.com/html5
>
> and it shows
>
> The HTML5 player is currently used when possible.
>
> For a sample live video, I clicked on
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RtU_mdL2vBM

When I view that link with the Fedora provided firefox, and right click
on the video, and select stats for nerds, it shows that I am seeing it
via webm codec=vp9, which is an html5 format.  I didn't do anything
special, so I think you have configured your browser in some way that
prevents webm from playing.  Add-ons?  Special about:config settings?

Re: OT: Firefox + html5 + Youtube "Live" vids

Ahmad Samir
On 16 June 2017 at 23:40, stan <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Fri, 16 Jun 2017 12:48:08 -0600
> JD <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> I have enabled html5, and yet youtube claims
>>       Browser does not currently recognize any of video formats
>> available Click here to visit our frequently asked questions about
>> HTML5 video.
>>

>> When I do  click on "Click here ....etc"
>> I get the same page tat I access directly with the URL
>> https://www.youtube.com/html5
>>
>> and it shows
>>
>> The HTML5 player is currently used when possible.
>>
>> For a sample live video, I clicked on
>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RtU_mdL2vBM
>
> When I view that link with the Fedora provided firefox, and right click
> on the video, and select stats for nerds, it shows that I am seeing it
> via webm codec=vp9, which is an html5 format.  I didn't do anything
> special, so I think you have configured your browser in some way that
> prevents webm from playing.  Add-ons?  Special about:config settings?

Also what's the status of the availability of codecs as shown on the
/html5 page on youtube? it pretty much tells you what it thinks your
setup can and cannot play.

--
Ahmad Samir

Re: OT: Firefox + html5 + Youtube "Live" vids

Martín Marqués
Hi,

Interesting thing here. I'm fighting with this problem right now. When
I click on the video that opens inside the gmail tab I can see it, but
if I open it in YouTube it says I don't have any HTML5 video support.

Going to https://www.youtube.com/html5 I get:

 HTMLVideoElement
 Media Source Extensions
 MSE & H.264
 MSE & WebM VP9

All the ones from above with the blue check.

On read the other 2:

 H.264
 WebM VP8

Is this something with YouTube specifically, or does it have to do
with my FF? And why is it that I can see it inside the gmail tab?

YouTube was working just fine until a month or two ago.

> On 16 June 2017 at 23:40, stan <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> On Fri, 16 Jun 2017 12:48:08 -0600
>> JD <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> I have enabled html5, and yet youtube claims
>>>       Browser does not currently recognize any of video formats
>>> available Click here to visit our frequently asked questions about
>>> HTML5 video.
>>>

>>> When I do  click on "Click here ....etc"
>>> I get the same page tat I access directly with the URL
>>> https://www.youtube.com/html5
>>>
>>> and it shows
>>>
>>> The HTML5 player is currently used when possible.
>>>
>>> For a sample live video, I clicked on
>>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RtU_mdL2vBM
>>
>> When I view that link with the Fedora provided firefox, and right click
>> on the video, and select stats for nerds, it shows that I am seeing it
>> via webm codec=vp9, which is an html5 format.  I didn't do anything
>> special, so I think you have configured your browser in some way that
>> prevents webm from playing.  Add-ons?  Special about:config settings?
>
> Also what's the status of the availability of codecs as shown on the
> /html5 page on youtube? it pretty much tells you what it thinks your
> setup can and cannot play.
>
> --
> Ahmad Samir

Martín Marqués
DBA, Programador, Administrador

Re: OT: Firefox + html5 + Youtube "Live" vids

Ed Greshko
On 08/06/2017 02:57 AM, Martín Marqués wrote:

> Interesting thing here. I'm fighting with this problem right now. When
> I click on the video that opens inside the gmail tab I can see it, but
> if I open it in YouTube it says I don't have any HTML5 video support.
>
> Going to https://www.youtube.com/html5 I get:
>
>  HTMLVideoElement
>  Media Source Extensions
>  MSE & H.264
>  MSE & WebM VP9
>
> All the ones from above with the blue check.
>
> On read the other 2:
>
>  H.264
>  WebM VP8
>
> Is this something with YouTube specifically, or does it have to do
> with my FF? And why is it that I can see it inside the gmail tab?
All of the boxes should have a blue check mark.

Try starting firefox from the command line with the --safe-mode option.  You may have
an extension causing a problem for you.

--
Fedora Users List - The place to go to speculate endlessly