No pcifront in F10?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
12 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

No pcifront in F10?

Jim Lutz
I have a virtual machine landscape consisting of a CentOS 5.3 Dom0 with
Xen 3.1.2, some PV CentOS DomU's with PCI passthrough (same versions),
and I'm trying to implement a F10 DomU with PCI passthrough. I set
everything up for the passthrough, and the F10 guest can't see any of
the devices with lspci. If I boot a CentOS PV machine with the same PCI
passthrough configuration, the devices show up with lspci. I've seen
some posts in various places about this issue, but no solutions. How do
I implement this?

--
Fedora-xen mailing list
[hidden email]
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-xen
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: No pcifront in F10?

Andy Burns-5
2009/5/1 Jim Lutz <[hidden email]>:

> I have a virtual machine landscape consisting of a CentOS 5.3 Dom0 with Xen
> 3.1.2, some PV CentOS DomU's with PCI passthrough (same versions), and I'm
> trying to implement a F10 DomU with PCI passthrough. I set everything up for
> the passthrough, and the F10 guest can't see any of the devices with lspci.
> If I boot a CentOS PV machine with the same PCI passthrough configuration,
> the devices show up with lspci. I've seen some posts in various places about
> this issue, but no solutions. How do I implement this?

There has been no pcifront in recent Fedora kernels, you'll have to
stick with older centOS kernels. or wait until pv_ops domU has landed
(so 2.6.31 at the earliest) *and* the pcifront has been re-implemented
(not sure if anyone other than Jeremy has this in their sights)

 <whisper> or look at ubuntu which I think has forward ported the old
non-pv_ops xen to more recent kernels </whisper>

--
Fedora-xen mailing list
[hidden email]
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-xen
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: No pcifront in F10?

Pasi Kärkkäinen
On Mon, May 04, 2009 at 07:51:37PM +0100, Andy Burns wrote:

> 2009/5/1 Jim Lutz <[hidden email]>:
>
> > I have a virtual machine landscape consisting of a CentOS 5.3 Dom0 with Xen
> > 3.1.2, some PV CentOS DomU's with PCI passthrough (same versions), and I'm
> > trying to implement a F10 DomU with PCI passthrough. I set everything up for
> > the passthrough, and the F10 guest can't see any of the devices with lspci.
> > If I boot a CentOS PV machine with the same PCI passthrough configuration,
> > the devices show up with lspci. I've seen some posts in various places about
> > this issue, but no solutions. How do I implement this?
>
> There has been no pcifront in recent Fedora kernels, you'll have to
> stick with older centOS kernels. or wait until pv_ops domU has landed
> (so 2.6.31 at the earliest) *and* the pcifront has been re-implemented
> (not sure if anyone other than Jeremy has this in their sights)
>

Jeremy's git tree has pv_ops pcifront now.

>  <whisper> or look at ubuntu which I think has forward ported the old
> non-pv_ops xen to more recent kernels </whisper>
>

Ubuntu's ports are known to be a bit buggy.. I wouldn't recommend those.

Novell/opensuse forward-ports are better.. they're shipping those patches
with SLES11 (Suse Linux Enterprise 11) and with OpenSUSE kernels.

Patches exist up to 2.6.31 currently.

http://wiki.xensource.com/xenwiki/XenDom0Kernels 

Those patches also work for domU, not only dom0.

-- Pasi

--
Fedora-xen mailing list
[hidden email]
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-xen
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: No pcifront in F10?

Andy Burns-5
2009/11/8 Pasi Kärkkäinen <[hidden email]>:

> Jeremy's git tree has pv_ops pcifront now.

Yes, I noticed that slip in this week, good news by itself, even
better news if it's eventually deemed clean enough to go upstream ...
presumably Konrad is doing this work as part of the Oracle VM product?
 Surprised (but grateful) that PV PCI is of interest to them

--
Fedora-xen mailing list
[hidden email]
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-xen
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: No pcifront in F10?

Pasi Kärkkäinen
On Sun, Nov 08, 2009 at 08:56:25PM +0000, Andy Burns wrote:
> 2009/11/8 Pasi Kärkkäinen <[hidden email]>:
>
> > Jeremy's git tree has pv_ops pcifront now.
>
> Yes, I noticed that slip in this week, good news by itself, even
> better news if it's eventually deemed clean enough to go upstream ...
> presumably Konrad is doing this work as part of the Oracle VM product?
>  Surprised (but grateful) that PV PCI is of interest to them
>

Yeah it is from Oracle.. dunno if it's Oracle VM work or just his free
time project :)

-- Pasi

--
Fedora-xen mailing list
[hidden email]
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-xen
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: No pcifront in F10?

Andy Burns-5
In reply to this post by Andy Burns-5
On 4 May 2009 19:51, Andy Burns <[hidden email]> wrote:

> 2009/5/1 Jim Lutz <[hidden email]>:
>
>> a CentOS 5.3 Dom0 with Xen 3.1.2, some PV CentOS DomU's with
>> PCI passthrough (same versions), and I'm
>> trying to implement a F10 DomU with PCI passthrough.
>
> There has been no pcifront in recent Fedora kernels

Sorry to revive such an old thread, I've been a bit removed from
Fedora under Xen for a couple of years, do any of the more recent
Fedora releases now include pci-front?
--
xen mailing list
[hidden email]
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/xen
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: No pcifront in F10?

M A Young
On Tue, 12 Oct 2010, Andy Burns wrote:

> On 4 May 2009 19:51, Andy Burns <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> 2009/5/1 Jim Lutz <[hidden email]>:
>>
>>> a CentOS 5.3 Dom0 with Xen 3.1.2, some PV CentOS DomU's with
>>> PCI passthrough (same versions), and I'm
>>> trying to implement a F10 DomU with PCI passthrough.
>>
>> There has been no pcifront in recent Fedora kernels
>
> Sorry to revive such an old thread, I've been a bit removed from
> Fedora under Xen for a couple of years, do any of the more recent
> Fedora releases now include pci-front?

No. Custom kernels with patches from the xen/stable-2.6.32.x will have it,
and it is hoped that it might be accepted into the upstream 2.6.37 kernel
so F15 or F16 might have it at some point in their life cycle, but it
is unlikely that F13 or F14 will ever have it.

  Michael Young
--
xen mailing list
[hidden email]
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/xen
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: No pcifront in F10?

Andy Burns-5
On 13 October 2010 00:42, M A Young <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Custom kernels with patches from the xen/stable-2.6.32.x will have it,
> and it is hoped that it might be accepted into the upstream 2.6.37 kernel so
> F15 or F16 might have it at some point in their life cycle

Thanks, I'll keep an eye out to see if Konrad's pvops pci patches get
pulled when the 2.6.37 merge window opens, might be time to hop onto
rawhide again ...
--
xen mailing list
[hidden email]
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/xen
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: No pcifront in F10?

Andy Burns-5
On 13 October 2010 01:16, Andy Burns <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I'll keep an eye out to see if Konrad's pvops pci patches get
> pulled when the 2.6.37 merge window opens

Encouraging to see the Stefano/Konrad/Jeremy's pvhvm code appearing in
linux-next, fingers crossed ...
--
xen mailing list
[hidden email]
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/xen
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: No pcifront in F10?

Pasi Kärkkäinen
On Thu, Oct 21, 2010 at 09:08:53AM +0100, Andy Burns wrote:
> On 13 October 2010 01:16, Andy Burns <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > I'll keep an eye out to see if Konrad's pvops pci patches get
> > pulled when the 2.6.37 merge window opens
>
> Encouraging to see the Stefano/Konrad/Jeremy's pvhvm code appearing in
> linux-next, fingers crossed ...
>

Xen PV-on-HVM support is included in upstream Linux 2.6.36 !

Xen pcifront (and maybe basic dom0 without backend drivers)
should make it into 2.6.37.

-- Pasi

--
xen mailing list
[hidden email]
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/xen
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: No pcifront in F10?

Andy Burns-5
On 22 October 2010 13:33, Pasi Kärkkäinen <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Xen PV-on-HVM support is included in upstream Linux 2.6.36 !

I was referring to the name of stefano's git tree, he's now labelled a
linux-next branch.

> Xen pcifront (and maybe basic dom0 without backend drivers)
> should make it into 2.6.37.
`
Yes, as noted, it would be nice to run Fedora as my mythbackend (with
tuners) in a domU again (my server has IOMMU chipset but no BIOS
support so HVM with PCI passthrough not an option) I'm currently stuck
on CentOS5 and have to build my own dom0 and domU kernels.

As I understand it, the "initial domain" stuff would help pave the way
for a pvops dom0, but in itself wouldn't be useful to end users - I
suspect that might still get a rougher ride
--
xen mailing list
[hidden email]
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/xen
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: No pcifront in F10?

Pasi Kärkkäinen
On Sat, Oct 23, 2010 at 11:40:13AM +0100, Andy Burns wrote:

> On 22 October 2010 13:33, Pasi Kärkkäinen <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Xen PV-on-HVM support is included in upstream Linux 2.6.36 !
>
> I was referring to the name of stefano's git tree, he's now labelled a
> linux-next branch.
>
> > Xen pcifront (and maybe basic dom0 without backend drivers)
> > should make it into 2.6.37.
> `
> Yes, as noted, it would be nice to run Fedora as my mythbackend (with
> tuners) in a domU again (my server has IOMMU chipset but no BIOS
> support so HVM with PCI passthrough not an option) I'm currently stuck
> on CentOS5 and have to build my own dom0 and domU kernels.
>
> As I understand it, the "initial domain" stuff would help pave the way
> for a pvops dom0, but in itself wouldn't be useful to end users - I
> suspect that might still get a rougher ride
>

"Full dom0" support will be added in small steps.
So that "initial domain" stuff is the important "first step".

Like said it doesn't (yet) contain any Xen backend drivers,
so you can boot the computer to dom0, but can't launch any other guests etc.

Then again it's pretty easy/simple to maintain those backend drivers out-of-tree,
or just add them to the upstream kernel yourself, until backend stuff is merged.

And yes, there will be rough edges, just like with any bigger merge.

-- Pasi

--
xen mailing list
[hidden email]
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/xen