Newcomer stuck

Jesús Bermúdez
Hi folks,

Sorry to bother, I got stuck.

I'm running Fedora 27, kernel: x86_64 Linux 4.14.11-300.fc27.x86_64
I have openqa-gru, openqa-webui and httpd running with one worker.
I can access localhost and login and manage api keys or see the tests.
I can generate a minimal image with createhdds.py minimal (only 10GB free)

When I try to run

$ sudo /usr/share/openqa/script/client isos post
DISTRI=fedora
VERSION=*
FLAVOR=Minimal-raw_xz-raw.xz
ARCH=arm
HDD_1=fixed/disk_f27_minimal_2_x86_64.img

I get an error:

[debug] Error connecting to host <localhost>: IO::Socket::INET: connect: Connection     refused
DIE can't open qmp: Connection refused at /usr/libexec/os-autoinst/backend/qemu.pm line 800.

I have searched but no luck, I don't know what direction to take or how to fix it.
Any help would be really appreciated

BR
Jesús Bermúdez Velázquez

Re: Newcomer stuck

Adam Williamson
On Wed, 2018-03-14 at 11:39 +0000, Jesús Bermúdez wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> Sorry to bother, I got stuck.
>
> I'm running Fedora 27, kernel: x86_64 Linux 4.14.11-300.fc27.x86_64
> I have openqa-gru, openqa-webui and httpd running with one worker.
> I can access localhost and login and manage api keys or see the tests.
> I can generate a minimal image with createhdds.py minimal (only 10GB free)
>
> When I try to run
>
> $ sudo /usr/share/openqa/script/client isos post
> DISTRI=fedora
> VERSION=*
> FLAVOR=Minimal-raw_xz-raw.xz
> ARCH=arm
> HDD_1=fixed/disk_f27_minimal_2_x86_64.img
>

> I get an error:
>
> [debug] Error connecting to host <localhost>: IO::Socket::INET: connect:
> Connection     refused
> DIE can't open qmp: Connection refused at /usr/libexec/os-autoinst/backend/
> qemu.pm line 800.
>
> I have searched but no luck, I don't know what direction to take or how to
> fix it.
> Any help would be really appreciated
>
> BR
> Jesús Bermúdez Velázquez

Hi Jesus!

So, when openQA ultimately comes to run a test, what happens is this:
os-autoinst (the test runner) launches a qemu VM in which the test will
actually happen, then immediately tries to connect to it via qmp, which
is a sort of 'back-channel' monitoring protocol it can use to keep an
eye on the VM and also perform certain operations in it. The error
message is basically telling you that this connection is failing. There
isn't enough information to know why, but one possibility is that the
qemu run immediately fails and dies.

I can see a few things wrong with your 'post' attempt. The most obvious
is that we don't ever in fact 'post' the minimal x86_64 disk images
directly. These instead are attached to the tests via settings from the
templates, when they're actually needed.

You should only actually POST images *from a compose*. Typically you'd
post something like the Server DVD installer image, with the flavor
Server-dvd-iso , or a Workstation live image, with the flavor
Workstation-live-iso .

Also, you're specifying ARCH=arm but using an x86_64 image; this is
never going to work.

Are you trying to run 32-bit ARM, 64-bit ARM or 64-bit x86 tests, here?
What is the actual arch of your test system?

Thanks!
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey

Re: Newcomer stuck

Adam Williamson
On Wed, 2018-03-14 at 11:39 +0000, Jesús Bermúdez wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> Sorry to bother, I got stuck.
>
> I'm running Fedora 27, kernel: x86_64 Linux 4.14.11-300.fc27.x86_64
> I have openqa-gru, openqa-webui and httpd running with one worker.

BTW, one question I forgot to ask you before: running your own openQA
is a pretty advanced task! If you were just looking for *something* to
do as a new Fedora QA contributor, it's probably not the first thing to
jump into. So: did you *specifically* want to try running your own
openQA for some reason, or were you just looking for some task to try?
If so, we might have some easier ideas for you :)
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey

Re: Newcomer stuck

Jesus Bermudez Velazquez
Thank you for replying, Adam. Also, thank you for the explanation as I'm pretty new to openQA.
I would like to get used to openQA before asking for tasks (if that's ok).
At least, I would like to run a single/small test, something like get in GNOME do something, like open Calendar, close it and that's it.

What I understand then, correct me if I'm wrong, I can't do the small test on a
minimal image itself but on a desktop one? so, I would need more space on disk.
Also, post command I used was wrong, is there a place/book where I can take a look about that kind of commands?
I have checked some doc pages and followed github os-autoinst for openQA.

Really thank you for the help and the time

Re: Newcomer stuck

Adam Williamson
On Thu, 2018-03-15 at 17:52 +0000, Jesus Bermudez Velazquez wrote:
> Thank you for replying, Adam. Also, thank you for the explanation as I'm pretty new to openQA.
> I would like to get used to openQA before asking for tasks (if that's ok).

What I was saying is, openQA is only *one* part of what Fedora QA does.
If you're specifically interested in openQA, that's great, but if you
just want to get involved in Fedora QA, there may be easier ways to do
it :) I'm not trying to discourage you from working with openQA, just
don't want you to get frustrated if it's too much to start with.

> At least, I would like to run a single/small test, something like get in GNOME do something, like open Calendar, close it and that's it.
>
> What I understand then, correct me if I'm wrong, I can't do the small test on a
> minimal image itself but on a desktop one? so, I would need more space on disk.

Many of the tests can run without *any* of the base disk images at all,
so don't worry about that.

> Also, post command I used was wrong, is there a place/book where I can take a look about that kind of commands?
> I have checked some doc pages and followed github os-autoinst for openQA.

There's a Fedora example in the upstream docs:

https://github.com/os-autoinst/openQA/blob/master/docs/GettingStarted.asciidoc#adding-a-new-iso-to-test

note that it uses ISO= and an iso image. That example should still work
 (with the filename and BUILD updated, of course) to make at least some
of the tests run, though there are some additional variables that
should be set for some of the tests these days, I should update the
example...

Oh, also, *right now* almost all tests fail with Rawhide images,
because a recent Rawhide update changed how the installer font looks
and none of the needles match any more :/ I'm just starting on updating
all the needles now.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey

Re: Newcomer stuck

Jesus Bermudez Velazquez
I see, I was following that link (taking that post command as starting point) and

https://github.com/os-autoinst/openQA/blob/master/docs/WritingTests.asciidoc

So, if I wanted to test a basic GNOME shell feature (so I can get used to it), how would I do it?
I thought that I would need an image for that and run the post command (when I fix it properly though).

Re: Newcomer stuck

Adam Williamson
On Thu, 2018-03-15 at 19:26 +0000, Jesus Bermudez Velazquez wrote:
> I see, I was following that link (taking that post command as starting point) and
>
> https://github.com/os-autoinst/openQA/blob/master/docs/WritingTests.asciidoc
>
> So, if I wanted to test a basic GNOME shell feature (so I can get used to it), how would I do it?
> I thought that I would need an image for that and run the post command (when I fix it properly though).

That's the right reference...but typically openQA tests run on a
particular compose. So the GNOME tests would run on the Workstation
live image, for instance. The 'install_default_upload' test runs an
install and, if successful, uploads a snapshot of the installed system.
The tests like 'desktop_browser' start *from that snapshot*.

So all you'd have to do is write a test like one of the existing post-
install desktop tests, add it to the templates alongside those (making
sure to follow how they set their variables - POSTINSTALL,
START_AFTER_TEST, BOOTFROM, and HDD_1 - *that's* the magic that makes
this whole 'run after the install test and use the image it created'
approach work), then POST a Workstation live image. Your test should
run alongside the other post-install tests, once the
install_default_upload test completes.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey