Maelstrom is now blocked in rawhide...

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
11 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Maelstrom is now blocked in rawhide...

Bill Nottingham
... due to legal/licensing issues with the artwork and sounds.

I currently don't have the time (and expertise, really) to reimplement
them. If somone wants to have a go at it, feel free.

Bill

_______________________________________________
Fedora-games-list mailing list
[hidden email]
http://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-games-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Maelstrom is now blocked in rawhide...

Tom Callaway
On 11/16/2009 12:18 PM, Bill Nottingham wrote:
> ... due to legal/licensing issues with the artwork and sounds.
>
> I currently don't have the time (and expertise, really) to reimplement
> them. If somone wants to have a go at it, feel free.

There are more details here:

https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=529907

~spot

_______________________________________________
Fedora-games-list mailing list
[hidden email]
http://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-games-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Maelstrom is now blocked in rawhide...

Hans de Goede
On 11/16/2009 07:03 PM, Tom "spot" Callaway wrote:

> On 11/16/2009 12:18 PM, Bill Nottingham wrote:
>> ... due to legal/licensing issues with the artwork and sounds.
>>
>> I currently don't have the time (and expertise, really) to reimplement
>> them. If somone wants to have a go at it, feel free.
>
> There are more details here:
>
> https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=529907
>

Hmm,

I guess the best thing to do is to put in rpmfusion's non-free
section. This is unfortunate, but I see little other options.

Regards,

Hans

_______________________________________________
Fedora-games-list mailing list
[hidden email]
http://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-games-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Maelstrom is now blocked in rawhide...

Hans de Goede
In reply to this post by Tom Callaway
On 11/16/2009 07:03 PM, Tom "spot" Callaway wrote:

> On 11/16/2009 12:18 PM, Bill Nottingham wrote:
>> ... due to legal/licensing issues with the artwork and sounds.
>>
>> I currently don't have the time (and expertise, really) to reimplement
>> them. If somone wants to have a go at it, feel free.
>
> There are more details here:
>
> https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=529907
>

Ok, I've submitted this for rpmfusion:
https://bugzilla.rpmfusion.org/show_bug.cgi?id=952

Regards,

Hans

_______________________________________________
Fedora-games-list mailing list
[hidden email]
http://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-games-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Maelstrom is now blocked in rawhide...

Jason L Tibbitts III
>>>>> "HdG" == Hans de Goede <[hidden email]> writes:

HdG> Ok, I've submitted this for rpmfusion:
HdG> https://bugzilla.rpmfusion.org/show_bug.cgi?id=952

You might want to wait until the issue is actually sorted.  When last I
heard, progress was being made.

 - J<

_______________________________________________
Fedora-games-list mailing list
[hidden email]
http://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-games-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Maelstrom is now blocked in rawhide...

Tom Callaway
On 11/19/2009 08:57 AM, Jason L Tibbitts III wrote:
>>>>>> "HdG" == Hans de Goede <[hidden email]> writes:
>
> HdG> Ok, I've submitted this for rpmfusion:
> HdG> https://bugzilla.rpmfusion.org/show_bug.cgi?id=952
>
> You might want to wait until the issue is actually sorted.  When last I
> heard, progress was being made.

Upstream got permission from the copyright holders to relicense the
audio and art as CC-BY, which is good, but notting pointed out that some
of the sound files are clearly taken from Ren & Stimpy. If anyone can
figure out how to unpack the audio files from the obscure ancient Mac
format, please help. :)

~spot

_______________________________________________
Fedora-games-list mailing list
[hidden email]
http://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-games-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Maelstrom is now blocked in rawhide...

Hans de Goede
Hi,

On 11/25/2009 08:44 PM, Tom "spot" Callaway wrote:

> On 11/19/2009 08:57 AM, Jason L Tibbitts III wrote:
>>>>>>> "HdG" == Hans de Goede<[hidden email]>  writes:
>>
>> HdG>  Ok, I've submitted this for rpmfusion:
>> HdG>  https://bugzilla.rpmfusion.org/show_bug.cgi?id=952
>>
>> You might want to wait until the issue is actually sorted.  When last I
>> heard, progress was being made.
>
> Upstream got permission from the copyright holders to relicense the
> audio and art as CC-BY, which is good, but notting pointed out that some
> of the sound files are clearly taken from Ren&  Stimpy. If anyone can
> figure out how to unpack the audio files from the obscure ancient Mac
> format, please help. :)
>


Ok:

 From Fedora package CVS:
cvs co Maelstrom
cd Maelstrom/F-12
make x86_64
cd Maelstrom-3.0.6/maclib
./snd2wav /usr/share/Maelstrom/Maelstrom_Sounds
ls *.wav

Voila there you have your individual sound files

Regards,

Hans

_______________________________________________
Fedora-games-list mailing list
[hidden email]
http://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-games-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Maelstrom is now blocked in rawhide...

Tom Callaway
On 12/04/2009 09:12 AM, Hans de Goede wrote:

> Ok:
>
> From Fedora package CVS:
> cvs co Maelstrom
> cd Maelstrom/F-12
> make x86_64
> cd Maelstrom-3.0.6/maclib
> ./snd2wav /usr/share/Maelstrom/Maelstrom_Sounds
> ls *.wav
>
> Voila there you have your individual sound files

Well, that was embarrassingly obvious. I'll fix that up today.

~spot

_______________________________________________
Fedora-games-list mailing list
[hidden email]
http://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-games-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Maelstrom is now blocked in rawhide...

Hans de Goede
In reply to this post by Hans de Goede
Spot,

Any progress on this, the rpmfusion version has been approved,
CVS created, etc. So if Maelstrom has to go to rpmfusion after all
I can push it there in no time.

Regards,

Hans

_______________________________________________
Fedora-games-list mailing list
[hidden email]
http://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-games-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Maelstrom is now blocked in rawhide...

Bruno Wolff III
On Mon, Dec 21, 2009 at 12:24:51 +0100,
  Hans de Goede <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Spot,
>
> Any progress on this, the rpmfusion version has been approved,
> CVS created, etc. So if Maelstrom has to go to rpmfusion after all
> I can push it there in no time.

It's back in rawhide now. I thimk Tom replaced the Ren and Stimpy sounds
with help from someone else.

_______________________________________________
Fedora-games-list mailing list
[hidden email]
http://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-games-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Maelstrom is now blocked in rawhide...

Hans de Goede
Hi,

On 12/21/2009 04:50 PM, Bruno Wolff III wrote:

> On Mon, Dec 21, 2009 at 12:24:51 +0100,
>    Hans de Goede<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>> Spot,
>>
>> Any progress on this, the rpmfusion version has been approved,
>> CVS created, etc. So if Maelstrom has to go to rpmfusion after all
>> I can push it there in no time.
>
> It's back in rawhide now. I thimk Tom replaced the Ren and Stimpy sounds
> with help from someone else.
>

Ah, good, thanks. I've cancelled the rpmfusion review request.

Regards,

Hans

_______________________________________________
Fedora-games-list mailing list
[hidden email]
http://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-games-list