Kernel 4.0.1/4.0.2

Mike Chambers-2
Has anyone gotten the above kernels from subject to boot with a
nouveau video driver and/or with plasma 5?  The latest kernel that
works is 4.0.0-1, and with latest libdrm that has the latest fixed.  I
get debug menu when plasma tries to load on those 2 kernels and not
sure which is the problem, video or kde/plasma?

--
Mike Chambers
Madisonville, KY

"Best lil town on Earth!"

Re: Kernel 4.0.1/4.0.2

Matthew Miller-2
On Fri, May 08, 2015 at 11:27:18AM -0500, Mike Chambers wrote:
> Has anyone gotten the above kernels from subject to boot with a
> nouveau video driver and/or with plasma 5?  The latest kernel that
> works is 4.0.0-1, and with latest libdrm that has the latest fixed.  I
> get debug menu when plasma tries to load on those 2 kernels and not
> sure which is the problem, video or kde/plasma?

I'm running 4.0.1-300.fc22.x86_64 right now with nouveau, but with
GNOME, not KDE.

--
Matthew Miller
<[hidden email]>

Re: Kernel 4.0.1/4.0.2

Chris Murphy
On Fri, May 8, 2015 at 10:27 AM, Mike Chambers <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Has anyone gotten the above kernels from subject to boot with a
> nouveau video driver and/or with plasma 5?  The latest kernel that
> works is 4.0.0-1, and with latest libdrm that has the latest fixed.  I
> get debug menu when plasma tries to load on those 2 kernels and not
> sure which is the problem, video or kde/plasma?

Sounds like a kernel regression if 4.0.0 works and 4.0.1 and 4.0.2
cause problems.

Normally I'd suggest filing an upstream bug, but I'd file this in rhbz
because Fedora 22 shouldn't ship with unusable video unless it's
uncommon hardware with no sane chance of getting it fixed in time for
release. How common is this hardware?

--
Chris Murphy

Re: Kernel 4.0.1/4.0.2

Erinn Looney-Triggs

Re: Kernel 4.0.1/4.0.2

Stephen Berg (Contractor)-2
On 05/08/2015 11:41 AM, Erinn Looney-Triggs wrote:

> On 05/08/2015 10:39 AM, Chris Murphy wrote:
>> >
>> >Sounds like a kernel regression if 4.0.0 works and 4.0.1 and 4.0.2
>> >cause problems.
>> >
>> >Normally I'd suggest filing an upstream bug, but I'd file this in
>> >rhbz because Fedora 22 shouldn't ship with unusable video unless
>> >it's uncommon hardware with no sane chance of getting it fixed in
>> >time for release. How common is this hardware?
>> >
> I am running 4.0.1 with nouveau and KDE/Plasma without any issues
> right now.
I've got 4.0.1-300 running with nouveau using Gnome.  The system boots
to the emergency prompt, or whatever it's called.  From there I can get
it into runlevel 3 and then as my user account do startx and everything
seems fine.  This is the first time I've installed from the Server iso,
I probably should have used the Workstation iso.  But after the install
I just installed KDE and Gnome from the command line and it seems good
so far.

--
Stephen Berg
Systems Administrator

Re: Kernel 4.0.1/4.0.2

Dan Mossor-3
On 05/08/2015 11:27 AM, Mike Chambers wrote:
> Has anyone gotten the above kernels from subject to boot with a
> nouveau video driver and/or with plasma 5?  The latest kernel that
> works is 4.0.0-1, and with latest libdrm that has the latest fixed.  I
> get debug menu when plasma tries to load on those 2 kernels and not
> sure which is the problem, video or kde/plasma?

As I said on the KDE list,

My Asus G55VW with discrete NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M GPU boots just fine
with:

kernel-4.0.1-300.fc22.x86_64
xorg-x11-drv-nouveau-1.0.11-2.fc22.x86_64
libdrm-2.4.60-1.fc22.x86_64
kf5-plasma-5.9.0-1.fc22.x86_64
plasma-workspace-5.3.0-3.fc22.x86_64
sddm-0.10.0-4.fc22.x86_64