HowTo rebuild and numerate a package on personal repository

HowTo rebuild and numerate a package on personal repository

Dario Lesca
I must rebuild samba.src on my Fedora 31 (to convert experimental MIT Kerberos to Heimdal Kerberos).

Into my samba.spec I change only mit/heimdal flag and set +1 the package version.

Then I rebuild and deploy new package on my personal repository, configure my ADDC server to use it (mysamba.repo) and install this new working package via "dnf install".

I know how to do all these jobs, and all for now work fine.

But if Fedora release a new version (main stream version o package version) of samba and I do a "dnf update", new samba-mit Fedora version is update on my samba-Heimdal version, until I rebuild again the new version on my repository server

What is the best way to protect this issue?

I must set some flag in "samba.spec" file, or into "mysamba.repo", or into "dnf update" command line?

Many thanks

--
Dario Lesca
(inviato dal mio Linux Fedora 31 Workstation)

Re: HowTo rebuild and numerate a package on personal repository

Ed Greshko
On 2019-12-10 17:03, Dario Lesca wrote:

> I must rebuild samba.src on my Fedora 31 (to convert experimental MIT Kerberos to Heimdal Kerberos).
>
> Into my samba.spec I change only mit/heimdal flag and set +1 the package version.
>
> Then I rebuild and deploy new package on my personal repository, configure my ADDC server to use it (mysamba.repo) and install this new working package via "dnf install".
>
> I know how to do all these jobs, and all for now work fine.
>
> But if Fedora release a new version (main stream version o package version) of samba and I do a "dnf update", new samba-mit Fedora version is update on my samba-Heimdal version, until I rebuild again the new version on my repository server
>
> What is the best way to protect this issue?
>
> I must set some flag in "samba.spec" file, or into "mysamba.repo", or into "dnf update" command line?
>
> Many thanks

If I understand correctly, you should be able to edit the /etc/yum.repos.d/fedora-updates.repo and
add

exclude=samba

In the [updates] section.

(Possibly samba* would be better?)

Then, when you update the updates from the fedora repo won't be referenced.

--
The key to getting good answers is to ask good questions.

Il giorno mar, 10/12/2019 alle 17.18 +0800, Ed Greshko ha scritto:
Then, when you update the updates from the fedora repo won't be referenced.

Thanks Ed, you mean "when you update the *samba* updates from the fedora repo won't be referenced." ... but all other update are performed

You confirm that the "exclude=samba" (or samba*) put into specific repo value only for that repo and not for other (in this case for mysamba.repo) repository?

A curiosity:

Why the samba mit/heimdal kerberos is not managed as it is done for many other projects in which the packages are divided into more sub-packages, like for example dovecot-mysql/dovecot-pgsql or samba-vfs-glusterfs /r samba-vfs-cephfs, ecc..

Thanks for reply

On 2019-12-10 18:31, Dario Lesca wrote:
> Il giorno mar, 10/12/2019 alle 17.18 +0800, Ed Greshko ha scritto:
>> Then, when you update the updates from the fedora repo won't be referenced.
>
> Thanks Ed, you mean "when you update the *samba* updates from the fedora repo won't be referenced." ... but all other update are performed

Yes, all other updates will happen as usual.  It is just "samba" that is excluded from the normal repo.

> You confirm that the "exclude=samba" (or samba*) put into specific repo value only for that repo and not for other (in this case for mysamba.repo) repository?

Right, just the updates repo.  Unless you use the updates-testing repo as well.  If you do, you'd put it there
as well.

> A curiosity:
>
> Why the samba mit/heimdal kerberos is not managed as it is done for many other projects in which the packages are divided into more sub-packages, like for example dovecot-mysql/dovecot-pgsql or samba-vfs-glusterfs /r samba-vfs-cephfs, ecc..

I do not know the answer to that since I'm not familiar with the actual packages/packaging.

--
The key to getting good answers is to ask good questions.

Re: HowTo rebuild and numerate a package on personal repository

Todd Zullinger
Ed Greshko wrote:

> On 2019-12-10 18:31, Dario Lesca wrote:
>> A curiosity:
>>
>> Why the samba mit/heimdal kerberos is not managed as it
>> is done for many other projects in which the packages are
>> divided into more sub-packages, like for example
>> dovecot-mysql/dovecot-pgsql or samba-vfs-glusterfs /r
>> samba-vfs-cephfs, ecc..
>
> I do not know the answer to that since I'm not familiar
> with the actual packages/packaging.
That appears to me to have been covered in the thread Dario
started on the devel list last month:

https://lists.fedoraproject.org/archives/list/devel@.../thread/YBIDUZLHHUHJ4E4VHKJIGFU52CR4Q34B/

It seemed clear to me that the Samba maintainers in Fedora
are well-aware of the situation and felt strongly that
pushing forward to improve the MIT kerberos support in Samba
was the only reasonable path for the distribution to take.
So it doesn't seem surprising that they do not build and
support Samba with Heimdal kerberos.

--
Todd

Il giorno mar, 10/12/2019 alle 12.08 -0500, Todd Zullinger ha scritto:

That appears to me to have been covered in the thread Dario
started on the devel list last month:

Yes, other questions are covered in that tread, this is a new question/tread (split package into MIT/Heimdal kerberos)

So it doesn't seem surprising that they do not build and
support Samba with Heimdal kerberos.

Yes, this is the reason I have decided to recompile and verify from myself samba + heimdal.

Thanks