Gnome Desktop no Longer Shows Application Icons on Upgrade from F25 to F26

Gnome Desktop no Longer Shows Application Icons on Upgrade from F25 to F26

Stephen Morris
Hi,

     I have used dnf system-upgrade to upgrade my F25 system to F26 and
now all the shortcuts on my Desktop no longer display their configured
icons, they display a text page icon instead. Under KDE they continue to
display fine.

     I tried looking at the properties of the thunderbird shortcut,
clicked on the text icon to navigate to where the thunderbird icons were
and re-selected the icon, but that made no difference to the icon
displayed. Why is the upgrade from F25 to F26 now refusing to display
proper icons for the shortcuts?

regards,

Steve

Re: Gnome Desktop no Longer Shows Application Icons on Upgrade from F25 to F26

Samuel Sieb
On 08/07/2017 02:40 PM, Stephen Morris wrote:
>      I tried looking at the properties of the thunderbird shortcut,
> clicked on the text icon to navigate to where the thunderbird icons were
> and re-selected the icon, but that made no difference to the icon
> displayed. Why is the upgrade from F25 to F26 now refusing to display
> proper icons for the shortcuts?

Try turning on the executable permission.

On 8/8/17 7:48 AM, Samuel Sieb wrote:
> On 08/07/2017 02:40 PM, Stephen Morris wrote:
>>      I tried looking at the properties of the thunderbird shortcut,
>> clicked on the text icon to navigate to where the thunderbird icons
>> were and re-selected the icon, but that made no difference to the
>> icon displayed. Why is the upgrade from F25 to F26 now refusing to
>> display proper icons for the shortcuts?
>
> Try turning on the executable permission.

That shouldn't be necessary, they were all executable before the
upgrade, so they should still be executable after the upgrade, and they
still are.

Since I posted this mail I've had a further development on this front. I
have now discovered that with the upgrade to F26, Gnome, unlike KDE, has
marked every application on the Gnome desktop as untrusted, so before I
can actually run them I have tell Gnome to trust and launch them. Having
done this Gnome then displays icons for the application (which I might
add Dolphin displayed by default when navigating to the desktop
directory), but not necessarily the icon that was displayed before the
upgrade.

Why is Gnome in F26 marking all applications on the desktop as
untrusted, and from my perspective, for no good reason?

Is it possible that this is because I had to do both the dnf
system-upgrade and required reboot afterwards twice before Fedora would
actually install the 2500 - 3000 files?

regards,

Steve

Re: Gnome Desktop no Longer Shows Application Icons on Upgrade from F25 to F26

Greg Woods-2
I have observed this as well

On Thu, Aug 10, 2017 at 4:44 PM, Stephen Morris <[hidden email]> wrote:
 Gnome, unlike KDE, has marked every application on the Gnome desktop as untrusted

I have observed this as well. They show up as untrusted also if you try to execute them out of Nautilus.

--Greg