Firefox

Lawrence E Graves-2
Not able to control the maximize control on my firefox web browser. If I
unmaximize the browser and close it out. When I log back on, it
automatically goes to maximize.  Can anybody help with this matter? Am I
reporting to the list?

--
All things are workable but don't all things work.
Prov. 3:5 & 6

Re: Firefox

stan
On Sun, 18 Jun 2017 20:28:28 -0600
Lawrence E Graves <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Not able to control the maximize control on my firefox web browser.
> If I unmaximize the browser and close it out. When I log back on, it
> automatically goes to maximize.  Can anybody help with this matter?
> Am I reporting to the list?

This seems like it should be simple, but a search found that it is
anything but.

One recommendation was to install an addon:
The solution is to install Minimize On Start And Close Firefox Add-On.

Other solutions were only applicable when starting from a script
using xdotool,

#!/bin/bash

#launch the program in the background, with all command-line options
passed to it. firefox "$@" &

#grab its process id.
pidno=$!

#wait for a second so that the window has time to fully register.
sleep 1

#use xdotool to make sure that window is raised to the top.
#this is necessary because it won't directly accept xdotool keypresses
otherwise. #matches both the pid and the class, to ensure we have the
right window. xdotool search --all --pid $pidno --class firefox
windowactivate

#use xdotool again to simulate your hotkey combo.  Adjust as necessary.
xdotool key alt+F9

exit 0

or configuring the window manager if it allowed it, like KDE.

 In KDE KWin can do things like that. Bring Firefox window to the
 front, then hit Alt+F3 and on the menu select 'Advanced' > 'Special
 Window Settings'. At least here you could make it so that (certain)
 Firefox windows are initially minimized.

And for the System Tray, you need to create/modifiy an application
starter, where the option "Place in System Tray" is checked. In
'kmenuedit', for instance.

These were all pretty old, so I'm not sure they still work.

Re: Firefox

Tim-163
Allegedly, on or about 18 June 2017, Lawrence E Graves sent:
> Not able to control the maximize control on my firefox web browser. If
> I unmaximize the browser and close it out. When I log back on, it
> automatically goes to maximize.

Sometimes dopey things can stop that kind of problem, such as
un-maximise the browser, then grab a window border and resize the window
by some amount, then quit the program.

I've done that kind of thing, before, to tame a web browser.  Perhaps
it's the window resizing that sets a parameter somewhere, clearing out
some peculiar problem.

It may depend on your desktop manager, too.  I found the Gnome 3 (which
I don't use anymore), it liked to behave like a tablet computer, with
every program full screen, and a pain to use several programs
simultaneously.

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -rsvp
(always current details of the computer that I'm writing this email on)

Boilerplate:  All mail to my mailbox is automatically deleted, there is
no point trying to privately email me, I only get to see the messages

If you are not the intended recipient, why are you reading their email?
You bastard!

Re: Firefox

jd1008

On 06/18/2017 08:28 PM, Lawrence E Graves wrote:
> Not able to control the maximize control on my firefox web browser. If
> I unmaximize the browser and close it out. When I log back on, it
> automatically goes to maximize.  Can anybody help with this matter? Am
> I reporting to the list?

Unfortunately, Firefox (Mozilla in general) has no mailing list. They
have a forum, which I personally disdain, as I prefer a mailing list myself.
https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/about/forums/