Fedora 30 no boot -

Bob Goodwin-Fastmail
I saw that Fedora-30 was driving one cpu to 100% continuously and top
showed dnfdragora was the cause so I dnf removed dnfdragora, a bad move
as it turns out overthought it has always been a useless appendage for
me you are punished for killing it.

After a number of tries I finally have that system in "maintenance mode"
but I find it to be limited in the commands it can use and I don't know
what to do next. I tried ssh from this box but no connection that way.
And the screen presentation is in very small difficult to read font that
I must use a hand magnifier to read.

That computer also has Fedora-31 on another drive, I select the system I
want from the boot menu ...

I don't really need Fedora-30 any more but I would like to fix the
damage so any suggestions would be helpful.

Bob

--
Bob Goodwin - Zuni, Virginia,
Fedora Linux-31 XFCE

Re: Fedora 30 no boot -

George N. White III
On Fri, 13 Dec 2019 at 07:50, Bob Goodwin <[hidden email]> wrote:
I saw that Fedora-30 was driving one cpu to 100% continuously and top
showed dnfdragora was the cause so I dnf removed dnfdragora, a bad move
as it turns out overthought it has always been a useless appendage for
me you are punished for killing it.

What happened after you ran dnfdragora?   Were other packages removed?
Did the system crash?

My fedora30 (upgrade to 31 yesterday) worked fine without dnfdragora.  The CPU
usage by dnfdragora could have been a symptom of some other problem.

After a number of tries I finally have that system in "maintenance mode"
but I find it to be limited in the commands it can use and I don't know
what to do next. I tried ssh from this box but no connection that way.
And the screen presentation is in very small difficult to read font that
I must use a hand magnifier to read.

That computer also has Fedora-31 on another drive, I select the system I
want from the boot menu ...

I don't really need Fedora-30 any more but I would like to fix the
damage so any suggestions would be helpful.

First, make sure there is adequate space on the fedora 30 partition.
What happens when you try to boot fedora 30 normally (edit the boot
command line to remove the "rhgb quiet" so you can watch for
problems)?

--
George N. White III

Re: Fedora 30 no boot -

Sam Varshavchik
Bob Goodwin writes:

> I saw that Fedora-30 was driving one cpu to 100% continuously and top showed
> dnfdragora was the cause so I dnf removed dnfdragora, a bad move as it turns
> out overthought it has always been a useless appendage for me you are
> punished for killing it.
>
> After a number of tries I finally have that system in "maintenance mode" but
> I find it to be limited in the commands it can use and I don't know what to
> do next. I tried ssh from this box but no connection that way. And the
> screen presentation is in very small difficult to read font that I must use
> a hand magnifier to read.
>
> That computer also has Fedora-31 on another drive, I select the system I
> want from the boot menu ...
>
> I don't really need Fedora-30 any more but I would like to fix the damage so
> any suggestions would be helpful.
You bailed out of a package upgrade at some point in the middle of it.

There is really no cookie-cutter recipe for fixing this. This is all
dependent on exactly what is/isn't/halfway installed. There are some general
things that can be tried, that may or may not work.

The first thing I will do in this situation is

rpm --rebuilddb

That'll get the RPM database cleaned up, if needed. If the rpm database is
borked and this doesn't work, pretty much give up and reinstall. Otherwise:

rpm -qa --queryformat '%{INSTALLTIME} %{NAME}-%{VERSION}\n' | sort -n

This lists all packages ordered by their installation time. This tells me
what was the last thing that went on the books as officially installed. I'll
save this for informative purposes, it may or may not offer clues as to
where things are.

rpm -qa --queryformat '%{NAME}\n' | sort | uniq -c | sort -n

The most common form of package breakage is a newer version getting
installed and the older version not removed. This lists how many versions of
each package is installed.

It's expected to have multiple versions of kernel packages installed, but
anything else is grounds for removal. Use 'rpm -q <name>' to list all
versions of each duplicate package, then 'rpm -e' the older ones. Might have
to deal with dependencies.

If this blew up in the middle of installing kernel packages, I'll manually
review and make sure that a complete set of all kernel packages of each
versionis installed, and remove any partially installed set.

One exception to this rule is multilib installation. That's going to result
in both 64 and 32 bit packages listed as installed. Maybe use
'%{NAME}.%{ARCH}\n', perhaps.

Then:

dnf distro-sync

and

dnf upgrade

If something was in the middle of getting installed. This should hopefully
reinstall it.

All of the above relies on everything on the box getting installed via rpm.
If there's anything that's been cowboy-installed, really there's no script
to follow here.

Re: Fedora 30 no boot -

Ed Greshko
On 2019-12-13 20:19, Sam Varshavchik wrote:

> Bob Goodwin writes:
>
>> I saw that Fedora-30 was driving one cpu to 100% continuously and top showed dnfdragora was the cause so I dnf removed dnfdragora, a bad move as it turns out overthought it has always been a useless appendage for me you are punished for killing it.
>>
>> After a number of tries I finally have that system in "maintenance mode" but I find it to be limited in the commands it can use and I don't know what to do next. I tried ssh from this box but no connection that way. And the screen presentation is in very small difficult to read font that I must use a hand magnifier to read.
>>
>> That computer also has Fedora-31 on another drive, I select the system I want from the boot menu ...
>>
>> I don't really need Fedora-30 any more but I would like to fix the damage so any suggestions would be helpful.
>
> You bailed out of a package upgrade at some point in the middle of it.

FWIW, I would find that quite odd.

dnfdragora being a graphic tool which, AFAIK, won't do any upgrades unless one specifically tells it
to preform.

Re: Fedora 30 no boot -

Bob Goodwin-Fastmail

On 2019-12-13 07:19, Sam Varshavchik wrote:

>> I don't really need Fedora-30 any more but I would like to fix the
>> damage so any suggestions would be helpful.
>
> You bailed out of a package upgrade at some point in the middle of it.
>
> There is really no cookie-cutter recipe for fixing this. This is all
> dependent on exactly what is/isn't/halfway installed. There are some
> general things that can be tried, that may or may not work.
>
> The first thing I will do in this situation is
>
> rpm --rebuilddb

I have had  no success with any of this. I believe you are right though,
"dnfdragora" was probably manipulating files for reasons unknown to me
and my disabling it corrupted something vital. It's more than I can deal
with on something I don't need anyway, so I will give up on the effort.

Thanks for the guidance,  Bob

--
Bob Goodwin - Zuni, Virginia,
Fedora Linux-31 XFCE

Re: Fedora 30 no boot -

Sam Varshavchik
Ed Greshko writes:

> FWIW, I would find that quite odd.
>
> dnfdragora being a graphic tool which, AFAIK, won't do any upgrades unless
> one specifically tells it
> to preform.

I have had a few mental lapses, and SIGKILLed stuff that, as far as I knew,
wasn't installing anything but only reading the RPM DBs.

I still ended up with RPM whining about bdb locks being left behind, and
refusing to do anything until I manually fix it, in some form or fashion.

Re: Fedora 30 no boot -

Ed Greshko
On 2019-12-14 08:40, Sam Varshavchik wrote:

> Ed Greshko writes:
>
>> FWIW, I would find that quite odd.
>>
>> dnfdragora being a graphic tool which, AFAIK, won't do any upgrades unless one specifically tells it
>> to preform.
>
> I have had a few mental lapses, and SIGKILLed stuff that, as far as I knew, wasn't installing anything but only reading the RPM DBs.
>
> I still ended up with RPM whining about bdb locks being left behind, and refusing to do anything until I manually fix it, in some form or fashion.

Right, I could see that happening.  That is leaving one in a situation where they had to clear some locks
before being able to do proper updates.  But, I don't see that having the effect of breaking the system
so it could not boot.

But, since Bob has decided to abandon efforts to fix what happened.  :-)

--
The key to getting good answers is to ask good questions.

Re: Fedora 30 no boot -

Bob Goodwin-Fastmail

On 2019-12-13 20:23, Ed Greshko wrote:
> Right, I could see that happening.  That is leaving one in a situation where they had to clear some locks
> before being able to do proper updates.  But, I don't see that having the effect of breaking the system
> so it could not boot.
>
> But, since Bob has decided to abandon efforts to fix what happened.:-)

.

The use of dnfdragors is not very intuitive for me, whenever I tried to
use it I usually gave up and went elsewhere, possibly leaving it in some
unknown condition?  Whatever, that system always seemed a bit slower and
when I noticed the maxed out cpu core, something I don't recall looking
at until the other day, I decided to remove it, after which gkrellm and
top still indicated 100% so I rebooted and the reboot failed ...

Anyway I see a forgotten system on a third drive:

SATA1    Fedora 30    corrupted

SATA2    Fedora 31    Updated, configured and working

SATA3    Fedora 30    a smaller 250GB drive

So I still have a functioning F30 on the last drive, only partly
configured with xfce and I suspect it may be LVM rather than the
Standard Partitions that I prefer. I'm not sure of how to determine what
it is except try to deduce that from df ...

--
Bob Goodwin - Zuni, Virginia,
Fedora Linux-31 XFCE