FC31: how to make localhost preferred nameserver

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

FC31: how to make localhost preferred nameserver

sean darcy
FC31 on a laptop. I'd like the have localhost as the first nameserver.
Then the the nameservers supplied by dhcp.

That is:

resolv.conf
127.0.0.1
[whatever dhcp provides]

So I can't set DNS=none. There used to be "head" for for
resolv.conf.d, but that doesn't exist for FC31.

sean
_______________________________________________
users mailing list -- [hidden email]
To unsubscribe send an email to [hidden email]
Fedora Code of Conduct: https://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/project/code-of-conduct/
List Guidelines: https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
List Archives: https://lists.fedoraproject.org/archives/list/users@...
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: FC31: how to make localhost preferred nameserver

Samuel Sieb
On 12/13/19 3:45 PM, Sean Darcy wrote:
> FC31 on a laptop. I'd like the have localhost as the first nameserver.
> Then the the nameservers supplied by dhcp.

If you have a nameserver on localhost, why do you care about the one
from DHCP?
_______________________________________________
users mailing list -- [hidden email]
To unsubscribe send an email to [hidden email]
Fedora Code of Conduct: https://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/project/code-of-conduct/
List Guidelines: https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
List Archives: https://lists.fedoraproject.org/archives/list/users@...
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: FC31: how to make localhost preferred nameserver

Fedora List mailing list-2
In reply to this post by sean darcy
On Fri, 2019-12-13 at 18:45 -0500, Sean Darcy wrote:

> FC31 on a laptop. I'd like the have localhost as the first
> nameserver. Then the the nameservers supplied by dhcp.
>
> That is:
>
> resolv.conf
> 127.0.0.1
> [whatever dhcp provides]
>
> So I can't set DNS=none. There used to be "head" for for
> resolv.conf.d, but that doesn't exist for FC31.

That's probably not going to work how you expect it to work.

The system will always try to use your first name server for all
queries, and will only use the subsequent ones if the first one fails
to respond (usually with quite a lengthy time-out period, too, though
you can change that).

For the next query, the cycle will repeat.  It'll try the first one
first, wait for it to answer or fail, then try the next one.

And if the first one is working but doesn't have an answer to a query,
it has still responded, and the second one will not be queried.

If you have your own name server, set it up to be fully functional.
Let it resolve all queries by itself.  I've done that for years,
completely ignoring my ISP's hopeless (slow, overloaded, mismanaged,
censoring) name servers.

--
 
uname -rsvp
Linux 3.10.0-1062.9.1.el7.x86_64 #1 SMP Fri Dec 6 15:49:49 UTC 2019 x86_64
 
Boilerplate:  All unexpected mail to my mailbox is automatically deleted.
I will only get to see the messages that are posted to the mailing list.
 
_______________________________________________
users mailing list -- [hidden email]
To unsubscribe send an email to [hidden email]
Fedora Code of Conduct: https://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/project/code-of-conduct/
List Guidelines: https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
List Archives: https://lists.fedoraproject.org/archives/list/users@...
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: FC31: how to make localhost preferred nameserver

sean darcy
On 12/13/19 10:50 PM, Tim via users wrote:

> On Fri, 2019-12-13 at 18:45 -0500, Sean Darcy wrote:
>> FC31 on a laptop. I'd like the have localhost as the first
>> nameserver. Then the the nameservers supplied by dhcp.
>>
>> That is:
>>
>> resolv.conf
>> 127.0.0.1
>> [whatever dhcp provides]
>>
>> So I can't set DNS=none. There used to be "head" for for
>> resolv.conf.d, but that doesn't exist for FC31.
>
> That's probably not going to work how you expect it to work.
>
> The system will always try to use your first name server for all
> queries, and will only use the subsequent ones if the first one fails
> to respond (usually with quite a lengthy time-out period, too, though
> you can change that).
>
> For the next query, the cycle will repeat.  It'll try the first one
> first, wait for it to answer or fail, then try the next one.
>
> And if the first one is working but doesn't have an answer to a query,
> it has still responded, and the second one will not be queried.
>
> If you have your own name server, set it up to be fully functional.
> Let it resolve all queries by itself.  I've done that for years,
> completely ignoring my ISP's hopeless (slow, overloaded, mismanaged,
> censoring) name servers.
>

But the problem this is a machine on a flaky third world isp which goes
down from time to time. When that happens unbound will eventually go
down, which they're not inclined to fix. So when the isp comes back up,
unbound is down, and I need a backup nameserver.
_______________________________________________
users mailing list -- [hidden email]
To unsubscribe send an email to [hidden email]
Fedora Code of Conduct: https://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/project/code-of-conduct/
List Guidelines: https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
List Archives: https://lists.fedoraproject.org/archives/list/users@...
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: FC31: how to make localhost preferred nameserver

sean darcy
On 12/15/19 10:11 AM, sean darcy wrote:

> On 12/13/19 10:50 PM, Tim via users wrote:
>> On Fri, 2019-12-13 at 18:45 -0500, Sean Darcy wrote:
>>> FC31 on a laptop. I'd like the have localhost as the first
>>> nameserver. Then the the nameservers supplied by dhcp.
>>>
>>> That is:
>>>
>>> resolv.conf
>>> 127.0.0.1
>>> [whatever dhcp provides]
>>>
>>> So I can't set DNS=none. There used to be "head" for for
>>> resolv.conf.d, but that doesn't exist for FC31.
>>
>> That's probably not going to work how you expect it to work.
>>
>> The system will always try to use your first name server for all
>> queries, and will only use the subsequent ones if the first one fails
>> to respond (usually with quite a lengthy time-out period, too, though
>> you can change that).
>>
>> For the next query, the cycle will repeat.  It'll try the first one
>> first, wait for it to answer or fail, then try the next one.
>>
>> And if the first one is working but doesn't have an answer to a query,
>> it has still responded, and the second one will not be queried.
>>
>> If you have your own name server, set it up to be fully functional.
>> Let it resolve all queries by itself.  I've done that for years,
>> completely ignoring my ISP's hopeless (slow, overloaded, mismanaged,
>> censoring) name servers.
>>
>
> But the problem this is a machine on a flaky third world isp which goes
> down from time to time. When that happens unbound will eventually go
> down, which they're not inclined to fix. So when the isp comes back up,
> unbound is down, and I need a backup nameserver.
> _______________________________________________

AND, since your generally known nameservers are sometimes blocked, you
need the isp's nameservers as backups. Sigh.

sean


_______________________________________________
users mailing list -- [hidden email]
To unsubscribe send an email to [hidden email]
Fedora Code of Conduct: https://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/project/code-of-conduct/
List Guidelines: https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
List Archives: https://lists.fedoraproject.org/archives/list/users@...