F31: /etc/resolv.conf disappears

Frank Elsner-4
Hi all,

my Fedora 31 system using NM for wifi shows the following behaviour:

From time to time the /etc/resolv.conf file disappears.
Even re-connecting doesn't help. I get an IP but no nameserver.

What might be the reason? And how to fix?

Greetings,
Frank Elsner

F31: /etc/resolv.conf disappears (2)

Frank Elsner-4
On Thu, 5 Dec 2019 15:23:55 +0100 Frank Elsner wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> my Fedora 31 system using NM for wifi shows the following behaviour:
>
> From time to time the /etc/resolv.conf file disappears.
> Even re-connecting doesn't help. I get an IP but no nameserver.

/etc/resolv.conf is a link to /var/run/connman/resolv.conf
which doesn' exist.

--Frank Elsner

Re: F31: /etc/resolv.conf disappears (2)

Ed Greshko
On 2019-12-05 22:45, Frank Elsner wrote:
> On Thu, 5 Dec 2019 15:23:55 +0100 Frank Elsner wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> my Fedora 31 system using NM for wifi shows the following behaviour:
>>
>> From time to time the /etc/resolv.conf file disappears.
>> Even re-connecting doesn't help. I get an IP but no nameserver.
> /etc/resolv.conf is a link to /var/run/connman/resolv.conf
> which doesn' exist.

Sounds like, since I've never used or heard of connman, like there is a conflict between it and NM.

dnf erase connman  ?

--
The key to getting good answers is to ask good questions.

On Thu, 5 Dec 2019 22:52:56 +0800 Ed Greshko wrote:

> On 2019-12-05 22:45, Frank Elsner wrote:
> > On Thu, 5 Dec 2019 15:23:55 +0100 Frank Elsner wrote:
> >> Hi all,
> >>
> >> my Fedora 31 system using NM for wifi shows the following behaviour:
> >>
> >> From time to time the /etc/resolv.conf file disappears.
> >> Even re-connecting doesn't help. I get an IP but no nameserver.
> > /etc/resolv.conf is a link to /var/run/connman/resolv.conf
> > which doesn' exist.
>
> Sounds like, since I've never used or heard of connman, like there is a conflict between it and NM.
>
> dnf erase connman  ?

Erased connman, /etc/resolv.conf and /var/run/connman/resolv.conf,
rebooted and it looks good/correct.

Thanks, Frank

Re: F31: /etc/resolv.conf disappears

Tom Horsley-5
On Thu, 5 Dec 2019 15:23:55 +0100
Frank Elsner wrote:

> What might be the reason? And how to fix?

Don't know reasons, but I have used a big hammer
to fix things like this:

Create the resolv.conf file the way you want it
to be, then do:

chattr +i /etc/resolv.conf

Thus making the file immutable and bypassing
all the helpful stuff that tries to change it :-).