F13 excluding packages doesn't work?

Philip Rhoades-2
People,

I have been experimenting with building isos from minimal up to a base
version and when it is going completely I want to start with F14 and
then there are some customisations I want to do.  During all the builds
and problems (which have been solved with help from people on this
list!) I have quite frequently tried to exclude packages when the
(qemu-kvm) booted iso hangs at that particular package.  After having a
working ks that produced a base iso with base X stuff that died after
running startx, I restored:

        xconfig --startxonboot

to the ks file and remade the iso - but now it hangs again after:

        Generating exim certificate
        Starting exim

even though I have:

        -exim*

in the ks file.  This was happening at various times before (with this
and other packages) with my more minimal ks versions but other changes
allowed me to keep going somehow . .

I just commented out "xconfig --startxonboot" again and now the new iso
gets all the way to a login again - however it still crashes after
startx [(EE) open /dev/fb0: No such file or dir; error setting MTRR] but
I will worry about that later . .

Why does exim NOT get excluded when all the other packages listed are
successfully excluded?

Thanks,

Phil.
--
Philip Rhoades

GPO Box 3411
Sydney NSW 2001
Australia
E-mail:  [hidden email]

Re: F13 excluding packages doesn't work?

Bruno Wolff III
On Tue, Sep 28, 2010 at 03:59:30 +1000,
  Philip Rhoades <[hidden email]> wrote:
> People,
>
> -exim*
>
> Why does exim NOT get excluded when all the other packages listed are
> successfully excluded?

Because something that requires exim (or something it provides even if
other packages also provide the same thing).

It's possible to exclude exim on the repo definitions. If you do this it
won't be pulled in. This might prevent things you want pulled in from
being included.