Emacs24 at f24/f25

Gour
Hello,

after experiencing some problem between Emacs-25 and org-mode (org’s
ELPA), I had to downgrade to Emacs24(.5.1) on my Debian Sid machine.

Since I’m considering to migrate fully to Fedora I wonder if one can use
Emacs24 on newly installed f24 and/or f25-beta?

I have f25-beta installed on my netbook, but it seems only Emacs25 is
available?

Any hint?

Sincerely,
Gour

--
A person who is not disturbed by the incessant flow of
desires — that enter like rivers into the ocean, which is

Re: Emacs24 at f24/f25

stan
On Wed, 02 Nov 2016 11:16:32 +0100
Saša Janiška <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> after experiencing some problem between Emacs-25 and org-mode (org’s
> ELPA), I had to downgrade to Emacs24(.5.1) on my Debian Sid machine.
>
> Since I’m considering to migrate fully to Fedora I wonder if one can
> use Emacs24 on newly installed f24 and/or f25-beta?
>
> I have f25-beta installed on my netbook, but it seems only Emacs25 is
> available?
>
> Any hint?

All past built fedora packages are available in koji.  So if you go to
http://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/packageinfo?packageID=560
you can download the emacs package of your choice.  And then install it
using
dnf -C downgrade emacs[rest of rpm name]
You'll have to provide all dependencies of the downgraded package that
dnf asks for as well (also from koji).

But, looking there, 24.5.1 was available about a year and a half ago in
F21 and F22.  So there might be api changes in libraries it depends
on, which would cause it to fail.  On the other hand, it might work
just fine.  You'd have to try it.

A more involved solution would see you building an RPM for F24 from the
F22 src.rpm.  And blocking further updates to emacs using the -x
option to dnf.  I'm not sure what org is, but is there no way to bring
it into compliance with emacs 25? A lot easier in the long run to stay
in synchronization with the OS you are running.

Re: Emacs24 at f24/f25

Gour
stan <[hidden email]> writes:

> All past built fedora packages are available in koji.  So if you go to
> http://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/packageinfo?packageID=560 you can
> download the emacs package of your choice.  And then install it using
> dnf -C downgrade emacs[rest of rpm name] You'll have to provide all
> dependencies of the downgraded package that dnf asks for as well (also
> from koji).

OK. It sounds good.

> A more involved solution would see you building an RPM for F24 from the
> F22 src.rpm.  And blocking further updates to emacs using the -x
> option to dnf.

Well, that’s the last resort.

It’s well-know org-mode package (http://orgmode.org)

> but is there no way to bring it into compliance with emacs 25? A lot
> easier in the long run to stay in synchronization with the OS you are
> running.

Org-9.0 is just released, it behaves a little better with 25.1 and maybe
it’s only some sort of Debian-ism, so on Fedora it might be even better
since, afaik, it’s closer to the upstream…

Sincerely,
Gour

--
One who works in devotion, who is a pure soul, and who controls
his mind and senses is dear to everyone, and everyone is dear to

Re: Emacs24 at f24/f25

stan
On Thu, 03 Nov 2016 08:48:37 +0100
Saša Janiška <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Org-9.0 is just released, it behaves a little better with 25.1 and
> maybe it’s only some sort of Debian-ism, so on Fedora it might be
> even better since, afaik, it’s closer to the upstream…

This sounds promising.  It's likely that future development will be
geared to the latest version of emacs, so support should only get
better.