Dom0 kernels

1234 ... 6

Dom0 kernels

M A Young
I have built a new set of kernel packages based on fedora rawhide
kernels and the xen/dom0/hackery branch of Jeremy's git repository
( http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/jeremy/xen.git;a=summary ).
This batch (kernel-2.6.29-0.114.2.6.rc6.fc11) is available via the koji
build system at

These are really for development and debugging purposes only, as I am
still having problems getting them to boot, but others have reported more
success at getting kernels based on this git repository working, so you
might be lucky.

Note to install these packages on Fedora 10 you will need to have
rpm-4.6.0-1.fc10 installed (currently in updates-testing but it should be
available in updates soon) because of the change to SHA-256 file digest
hashing in recent Fedora 11 builds.

  Michael Young

Re: [fedora-virt] Dom0 kernels

Gerd Hoffmann-3
M A Young wrote:

> I have built a new set of kernel packages based on fedora rawhide
> kernels and the xen/dom0/hackery branch of Jeremy's git repository (
> http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/jeremy/xen.git;a=summary ).
>  This batch (kernel-2.6.29-0.114.2.6.rc6.fc11) is available via the
> koji build system at
> http://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/taskinfo?taskID=1149500
>
> These are really for development and debugging purposes only, as I am
>  still having problems getting them to boot, but others have reported
>  more success at getting kernels based on this git repository
> working, so you might be lucky

Try "pci=nomsi", msi support for xen isn't there yet.  Last week a major
bug in IO-APIC setup has been fixed and the kernels run quite stable on
modern hardware now.  My old, apic-less i386 laptop still doesn't boot
though.

cheers,
  Gerd

Re: [fedora-virt] Dom0 kernels

M A Young
On Tue, 24 Feb 2009, Gerd Hoffmann wrote:

> Try "pci=nomsi", msi support for xen isn't there yet.  Last week a major
> bug in IO-APIC setup has been fixed and the kernels run quite stable on
> modern hardware now.  My old, apic-less i386 laptop still doesn't boot
> though.

That particular kernel has CONFIG_PCI_MSI turned off at build, and I think
the most recent git updates disable it within the kernel. My problem at
the moment is that it doesn't seem to see the disks, so it never gets past
the initrd. I also sometimes get IRQ related tracebacks.

  Michael Young

Re: Dom0 kernels

M A Young
On Tue, 24 Feb 2009, M A Young wrote:

> I have built a new set of kernel packages based on fedora rawhide kernels and
> the xen/dom0/hackery branch of Jeremy's git repository
> ( http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/jeremy/xen.git;a=summary ).
> This batch (kernel-2.6.29-0.114.2.6.rc6.fc11) is available via the koji build
> system at
> http://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/taskinfo?taskID=1149500

And I have now done an update (kernel-2.6.29-0.114.2.8.rc6.fc11) which is
available via http://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/taskinfo?taskID=1178436

> These are really for development and debugging purposes only, as I am still
> having problems getting them to boot, but others have reported more success
> at getting kernels based on this git repository working, so you might be
> lucky.

This one does allow one of my machines to boot in single user mode (which
is all I have really tested so far), though I am sure there are still
plenty of other bugs to find.

> Note to install these packages on Fedora 10 you will need to have
> rpm-4.6.0-1.fc10 installed (currently in updates-testing but it should be
> available in updates soon) because of the change to SHA-256 file digest
> hashing in recent Fedora 11 builds.

  Michael Young

Re: Dom0 kernels

M A Young
Here is another build (kernel-2.6.29-0.114.2.10.rc7.fc11)
I managed to get the previous build I posted to boot (non-graphically) and
run a xen client with networking enabled on an x86_64 machine and this one
also looks promising as IDE disks are now working, though I haven't tested
it much.
Rough instructions to start xen are;
modprobe evtchn
mount -t xenfs none /proc/xen
setenforce 0
service xenstored start
service xend start
service xenconsoled start
xm create -c guestname

  Michael Young

Re: [fedora-virt] Re: Dom0 kernels

Gerd Hoffmann-3
M A Young wrote:
> Here is another build (kernel-2.6.29-0.114.2.10.rc7.fc11)
> http://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/taskinfo?taskID=1225129
> I managed to get the previous build I posted to boot (non-graphically)
> and run a xen client with networking enabled on an x86_64 machine and
> this one also looks promising as IDE disks are now working, though I
> haven't tested it much.
> Rough instructions to start xen are;
> modprobe evtchn

Next round of xen packages (-8, building right now) should to this
automagically.

> mount -t xenfs none /proc/xen

That should happen already with current (-7) rawhide packages.

> setenforce 0

no comment ;)

> service xenstored start
> service xend start
> service xenconsoled start

You can just "chkconfig $name on" these.  They will detect when not
running on xen and do nothing in that case.

HTH
  Gerd

On Fri, 6 Mar 2009, Gerd Hoffmann wrote:

>> service xenstored start
>> service xend start
>> service xenconsoled start
>
> You can just "chkconfig $name on" these.  They will detect when not
> running on xen and do nothing in that case.

They are "chkconfig $name on", however they are dependent on some of the
previous steps so need to be rerun with my current setup.

M A Young wrote:

> On Fri, 6 Mar 2009, Gerd Hoffmann wrote:
>
>>> service xenstored start
>>> service xend start
>>> service xenconsoled start
>>
>> You can just "chkconfig $name on" these.  They will detect when not
>> running on xen and do nothing in that case.
>
> They are "chkconfig $name on", however they are dependent on some of the
> previous steps so need to be rerun with my current setup.

Ah, ok.  Fresh builds where this shouldn't be needed any more are here
now (and in rawhide soon):
http://kojipkgs.fedoraproject.org/packages/xen/3.3.1/8.fc11/

cheers,
  Gerd

Re: [fedora-virt] Re: Dom0 kernels

Gerd Hoffmann-3
> Ah, ok.  Fresh builds where this shouldn't be needed any more are here
> now (and in rawhide soon):
> http://kojipkgs.fedoraproject.org/packages/xen/3.3.1/8.fc11/

Well it doesn't work, module loading has a tyops, new build (#9) is on
the way.

cheers,
  Gerd

Re: Re: [fedora-virt] Re: Dom0 kernels

Pasi Kärkkäinen
On Fri, Mar 06, 2009 at 12:28:23PM +0100, Gerd Hoffmann wrote:
> > Ah, ok.  Fresh builds where this shouldn't be needed any more are here
> > now (and in rawhide soon):
> > http://kojipkgs.fedoraproject.org/packages/xen/3.3.1/8.fc11/
>
> Well it doesn't work, module loading has a tyops, new build (#9) is on
> the way.

I rebuilt 3.3.1-9 on fc10, and it seems to work.

But virt-install (and virt-manager) seem to have problems..

# virt-install <options>

ERROR    Unsupported virtualization type 'xen'

Was xen support removed from virt-install, or does it just fail to detect
xen is available when using pv_ops dom0?

-- Pasi

Pasi Kärkkäinen wrote:

> I rebuilt 3.3.1-9 on fc10, and it seems to work.
>
> But virt-install (and virt-manager) seem to have problems..
>
> # virt-install <options>
>
> ERROR    Unsupported virtualization type 'xen'
>
> Was xen support removed from virt-install, or does it just fail to detect
> xen is available when using pv_ops dom0?

Either that, or the xen is a bit out-of-date because Fedora had no dom0
kernel (thus no testing) since Fedora 8 ...

I'd suggest to file bugs.  Most likely the culprit is libvirt.

On Mon, Mar 09, 2009 at 08:27:14AM +0100, Gerd Hoffmann wrote:

> Pasi Kärkkäinen wrote:
> >
> > I rebuilt 3.3.1-9 on fc10, and it seems to work.
> >
> > But virt-install (and virt-manager) seem to have problems..
> >
> > # virt-install <options>
> >
> > ERROR    Unsupported virtualization type 'xen'
> >
> > Was xen support removed from virt-install, or does it just fail to detect
> > xen is available when using pv_ops dom0?
>
> Either that, or the xen is a bit out-of-date because Fedora had no dom0
> kernel (thus no testing) since Fedora 8 ...
>
> I'd suggest to file bugs.  Most likely the culprit is libvirt.

Actually we hunted this down with Cole Robinson and Jeremy..

The reason is pv_ops dom0 kernel is still missing /sys/hypervisor infos..
virt-install (or libvirt) needs that info to fetch the capabilities.

Jeremy said there should be a kernel patch for that in the old RH dom0 tree..

-- Pasi

Re: Re: [fedora-virt] Re: Dom0 kernels

Daniel P. Berrange-2
On Fri, Mar 06, 2009 at 07:41:09PM +0200, Pasi K?rkk?inen wrote:

> On Fri, Mar 06, 2009 at 12:28:23PM +0100, Gerd Hoffmann wrote:
> > > Ah, ok.  Fresh builds where this shouldn't be needed any more are here
> > > now (and in rawhide soon):
> > > http://kojipkgs.fedoraproject.org/packages/xen/3.3.1/8.fc11/
> >
> > Well it doesn't work, module loading has a tyops, new build (#9) is on
> > the way.
> >

> I rebuilt 3.3.1-9 on fc10, and it seems to work.
>
> But virt-install (and virt-manager) seem to have problems..
>
> # virt-install <options>
>
> ERROR    Unsupported virtualization type 'xen'

This will be a libvirt bug - check output of

  virsh --connect xen:/// capabilities

If that is not what you expect, then /sys/hypervisor/properties/capabilities
is probably missing/broken.

Daniel
--
|: Red Hat, Engineering, London   -o-   http://people.redhat.com/berrange/ :|
|: http://libvirt.org  -o-  http://virt-manager.org  -o-  http://ovirt.org :|

On Mon, Mar 09, 2009 at 11:20:26AM +0200, Pasi K?rkk?inen wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 09, 2009 at 08:27:14AM +0100, Gerd Hoffmann wrote:
> > Pasi Kärkkäinen wrote:
> > >
> > > I rebuilt 3.3.1-9 on fc10, and it seems to work.
> > >
> > > But virt-install (and virt-manager) seem to have problems..
> > >
> > > # virt-install <options>
> > >
> > > ERROR    Unsupported virtualization type 'xen'
> > >
> > > Was xen support removed from virt-install, or does it just fail to detect
> > > xen is available when using pv_ops dom0?
> >
> > Either that, or the xen is a bit out-of-date because Fedora had no dom0
> > kernel (thus no testing) since Fedora 8 ...
> >
> > I'd suggest to file bugs.  Most likely the culprit is libvirt.
> >

> Actually we hunted this down with Cole Robinson and Jeremy..
>
> The reason is pv_ops dom0 kernel is still missing /sys/hypervisor infos..
> virt-install (or libvirt) needs that info to fetch the capabilities.

We could probably switch over to making a hypercall to fetch that info
if /sys/hypervisor/properties/capabilities isn't going to reappear in
the near future ...

Daniel

Daniel P. Berrange wrote:
> We could probably switch over to making a hypercall to fetch that info
> if /sys/hypervisor/properties/capabilities isn't going to reappear in
> the near future ...

Or fallback to /proc/xen/capabilities (isn't that there anyway)?

cheers,
  Gerd

Re: Re: [fedora-virt] Re: Dom0 kernels

Jan ONDREJ (SAL)-2
On Mon, Mar 09, 2009 at 11:13:41AM +0100, Gerd Hoffmann wrote:
> Daniel P. Berrange wrote:
> > We could probably switch over to making a hypercall to fetch that info
> > if /sys/hypervisor/properties/capabilities isn't going to reappear in
> > the near future ...
>
> Or fallback to /proc/xen/capabilities (isn't that there anyway)?

It's too small:

[root@note ~]# uname -a
Linux note.salstar.sk 2.6.29-0.114.2.10.rc7.fc11.i686.PAE #1 SMP Thu Mar 5
18:04:27 EST 2009 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux
[root@note ~]# cat /proc/xen/capabilities
control_d
[root@note ~]#

                        SAL

On Mon, Mar 09, 2009 at 10:09:55AM +0000, Daniel P. Berrange wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 09, 2009 at 11:20:26AM +0200, Pasi K?rkk?inen wrote:

> > > Either that, or the xen is a bit out-of-date because Fedora had no dom0
> > > kernel (thus no testing) since Fedora 8 ...
> > >
> > > I'd suggest to file bugs.  Most likely the culprit is libvirt.
> > >

> > Actually we hunted this down with Cole Robinson and Jeremy..
> >
> > The reason is pv_ops dom0 kernel is still missing /sys/hypervisor infos..
> > virt-install (or libvirt) needs that info to fetch the capabilities.
>
> We could probably switch over to making a hypercall to fetch that info
> if /sys/hypervisor/properties/capabilities isn't going to reappear in
> the near future ...

Just a followup to this thread too..

The patch (from old Redhat dom0 tree) implementing /sys/hypervisor feature
is here:
http://git.et.redhat.com/?p=linux-2.6-dom0-pvops.git;a=commit;h=7aa79a5603bb604e8bf4fe7c31cc9c8b3d3b7ea2

Hopefully Jeremy will merge it to current pv_ops dom0 tree.

Discussion about this on xen-devel:
http://lists.xensource.com/archives/html/xen-devel/2009-03/msg00472.html

And another (more recent) thread on fedora-xen/fedora-virt about this subject:
https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-xen/2009-March/msg00017.html

-- Pasi

Re: Dom0 kernels

M A Young
Another update (2.6.29-0.114.2.11.rc7.git5), which includes
/sys/hypervisor support, is at

  Michael Young

Re: Re: Dom0 kernels

Itamar Reis Peixoto
any chance to get this in fedora kernels ?

worked fine for me

[root@localhost ~]# uname -a
Linux localhost.localdomain 2.6.29-0.114.2.11.rc7.git5.fc11.x86_64 #1
SMP Thu Mar 12 16:50:15 EDT 2009 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
[root@localhost ~]# xm list
/usr/lib64/python2.6/site-packages/xen/util/acmpolicy.py:20:
DeprecationWarning: the sha module is deprecated; use the hashlib
module instead
  import sha
Name                                        ID   Mem VCPUs      State   Time(s)
Domain-0                                     0  1815     2     r-----    127.0
[root@localhost ~]#

On Fri, Mar 13, 2009 at 8:40 PM, M A Young <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Another update (2.6.29-0.114.2.11.rc7.git5), which includes /sys/hypervisor
> support, is at http://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/taskinfo?taskID=1238587
>
>        Michael Young

------------

Itamar Reis Peixoto

e-mail/msn: [hidden email]
sip: [hidden email]
skype: itamarjp
icq: 81053601
+55 11 4063 5033
+55 34 3221 8599

Re: Re: Dom0 kernels

M A Young
On Fri, 13 Mar 2009, Itamar Reis Peixoto wrote:

> any chance to get this in fedora kernels ?
>

> worked fine for me

The current plan is to wait until basic dom0 support makes it into the
vanilla kernel, which should happen for 2.6.30, and then decide if dom0
can be enabled and if the patches for full dom0 support can safely be
added without affecting ordinary operation.

At the moment there are still things that are broken such as X support in
some cases, and there are also Fedora patches that have been omitted
because they were tricky to merge, so it is too early to start adding dom0
support to official Fedora kernels.

  Michael Young

1234 ... 6