Disappearing files

Dr. Robert Marmorstein

Hi all,

Long time Linux user, new Fedora user (well, at least since FC 3), so be gentle.

I installed asterisk and dahdi from source and they were working great, but when I reboot one of two things happens:

1.  Ownership of /var/lib/asterisk and /var/run/asterisk is reset from group "asterisk" to "root".

2.  The /var/run/asterisk folder disappears completely.

If I change them back, my asterisk setup works fine, but after a reboot, one of those two happens again.  What could be mucking with my permissions (and removing a folder!?) in the boot process?

Thanks,

Robert M. Marmorstein
Associate Professor of Computer Science
Longwood University, Ruffner 329
201 High Street, Farmville, VA 23909
434.395.2185

Re: Disappearing files

Ed Greshko
On 08/07/2017 11:48 AM, Marmorstein, Robert wrote:

> Long time Linux user, new Fedora user (well, at least since FC 3), so be gentle.
>

> I installed asterisk and dahdi from source and they were working great, but when I
> reboot one of two things happens:
>

> 1.  Ownership of /var/lib/asterisk and /var/run/asterisk is reset from group
> "asterisk" to "root".
>
> 2.  The /var/run/asterisk folder disappears completely.
>

> If I change them back, my asterisk setup works fine, but after a reboot, one of
> those two happens again.  What could be mucking with my permissions (and removing a
> folder!?) in the boot process?

Before going any further....   Are you saying you installed those packages by
compiling the source yourself?  If so, any reason you didn't install from the Fedora
repositories?

asterisk-dahdi is there as well as numerous asterisk packages.

--
Fedora Users List - The place to go to speculate endlessly

Re: Disappearing files

Jon LaBadie
On Mon, Aug 07, 2017 at 03:48:47AM +0000, Marmorstein, Robert wrote:

> Hi all,
>

> Long time Linux user, new Fedora user (well, at least since FC 3), so be gentle.
>

> I installed asterisk and dahdi from source and they were working great, but when I reboot one of two things happens:
>

> 1.  Ownership of /var/lib/asterisk and /var/run/asterisk is reset from group "asterisk" to "root".
>
> 2.  The /var/run/asterisk folder disappears completely.

If I'm not mistaken, /var/run is a "tmpfs" and by design is recreated
on each boot.  So your problem with ownership on /var/run/asterisk
is not them being changed from group asterisk, but from being set to
group root upon creation.

--
Jon H. LaBadie                  [hidden email]

Re: Disappearing files

Gordon Messmer-2
On 08/06/2017 08:48 PM, Marmorstein, Robert wrote:
> I installed asterisk and dahdi from source

If, for any reason, you don't want to use the packages provided by
Fedora, you should still be familiar with the integration work that the
maintainer has done/is doing.  Start here:

https://src.fedoraproject.org/rpms/asterisk/tree/master

The "spec" file details the build and installation process used for the
rpm packages.

> and they were working great, but when I reboot one of two things happens:
>

> 1.  Ownership of /var/lib/asterisk and /var/run/asterisk is reset from
> group "asterisk" to "root".
>
> 2.  The /var/run/asterisk folder disappears completely.

The "asterisk-tmpfiles" file gets installed at
/usr/lib/tmpfiles.d/asterisk.conf, and instructs the system to create
/run/asterisk (which is where /var/run/asterisk points, as /var/run is a
symlink) at boot time.  If you are building your own installation from
source, you should be using this file.

Re: Disappearing files

Dr. Robert Marmorstein
> If I'm not mistaken, /var/run is a "tmpfs" and by design is recreated
> on each boot.  So your problem with ownership on /var/run/asterisk
> is not them being changed from group asterisk, but from being set to
> group root upon creation.

Thanks!  I feel stupid for not realizing that, but that's almost certainly the issue.  Thanks!

--
Jon H. LaBadie                  [hidden email]