Curious about fedora laptop mailing list

Curious about fedora laptop mailing list

fhdata

Hello,

The Fedora laptop mailing list [hidden email]
has almost no traffic (only a few posts in this calendar year).

As person who might be shopping for laptop to put Fedora on
I am curious....  Does list's no traffic mean that generally
speaking these days, fedora runs technically hassle-free on
most laptops?

Re: Curious about fedora laptop mailing list

Dimitris Glaros
the most user using other list or the local community  or IRC to take support!and the problems in laptop-netbook  is know!!!!!

like don't take laptop-netbook with graphic card poulsbo gma500........NEVER!!!!! the last 1,5 years i have spend many time to make play.........i trade my netbook with other netbook!!!!

Dimitris Glaros
[hidden email]

On Wed, May 25, 2011 at 7:35 PM, FHDATA <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello,

The Fedora laptop mailing list [hidden email]
has almost no traffic (only a few posts in this calendar year).

As person who might be shopping for laptop to put Fedora on
I am curious....  Does list's no traffic mean that generally
speaking these days, fedora runs technically hassle-free on
most laptops?

Re: Curious about fedora laptop mailing list

Camilo Mesias
There are still issues, often minor things like suspend / resume not
working, wireless being less than 100% perfect, power management being
less than perfect... etc. Some you can put up with.

I'm currently buying a new wireless card for my netbook as there is a
hard to diagnose bug with the driver for the default one. It's
hopefully a $10 cure when tracking down the bug could take a lot of
effort.

-Cam

On Wed, May 25, 2011 at 2:02 PM, Dimitris Glaros
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> the most user using other list or the local community  or IRC to take
> support!and the problems in laptop-netbook  is know!!!!!
>
> like don't take laptop-netbook with graphic card poulsbo
> gma500........NEVER!!!!! the last 1,5 years i have spend many time to make
> play.........i trade my netbook with other netbook!!!!
>

> Dimitris Glaros
> [hidden email]
>

> On Wed, May 25, 2011 at 7:35 PM, FHDATA <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hello,
>>
>> The Fedora laptop mailing list [hidden email]
>> has almost no traffic (only a few posts in this calendar year).
>>
>> As person who might be shopping for laptop to put Fedora on
>> I am curious....  Does list's no traffic mean that generally
>> speaking these days, fedora runs technically hassle-free on
>> most laptops?
>>
>> Thanks,

Re: Curious about fedora laptop mailing list

Dexter L. Pearson
Almost. As a matter of fact, the best thing to do is to hit the HCLs
before you install. It's also key to test your flavor of Fedora before
you try installing to your production environment. Sometimes, you may
find a warning about a device or system brand that's never been stated
before.

I myself have a couple of folks to write back to after discovering the
reason why my laptop won't draw an IP from my ISP. The linux TG3 driver
for the Broadcom family of wired NICs doesn't work for the 64-bit
version of Fedora. It does work naturally for the 32-bit versions
without issue, but not for 64-bit. Now, I have a low-profile PCMCIA card
to buy. What I didn't know was that someone showed me an article from
where folks with Fedora Core 7 (64-bit) were having issues with this
driver, and it's not yet been resolved well to this day.

Definitely don't be afraid to research and test well before you go live.
If you find something stupid or aggravating, document it and share,
whether here or Bugzilla.