Covert a Shockwave Flash File (.swf) to something useful

Covert a Shockwave Flash File (.swf) to something useful

Ted Roche-2
Ultimately, my goal is to post some SWF files to Youtube.

An acquaintance created a series of screen-capture and audio-narration
video tutorials that produced SWF files, and would now like to post
them to YouTube, which doesn't appear to accept the SWF format.

I found the following suggestion [1] for converting SWF to MP4 using
gnash and ffmpeg, but gnash doesn't appear to be available in the
Fedora repos any more. Attempting to download the source from gnu.org
and build has lead to a couple of cycles of make errors, search for
the missing packages, reinstall, repeat and I'm hoping there might be
a better solution.

Has anyone done a similar conversion or could offer suggestions? TIA!

[1] https://stackoverflow.com/questions/20194270/convert-compressed-swf-to-mp4

--
Ted Roche
Ted Roche & Associates, LLC

Re: Covert a Shockwave Flash File (.swf) to something useful

jack craig-6
i've had luck w/ffmpeg, eg, ...

ffmpeg -i file.swf video.mp4

hth...

On Sat, Aug 12, 2017 at 10:12 AM, Ted Roche <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Tim-163
Allegedly, on or about 12 August 2017, Ted Roche sent:
> I found the following suggestion [1] for converting SWF to MP4 using
> gnash and ffmpeg, but gnash doesn't appear to be available in the
> Fedora repos any more.

If ffmpeg can play/input the SWF by itself, then you should be able to
use it to transcode the SWF by itself.

mplayer can play SWF files, and it's partner mencoder can be used to
transcode media files.

VLC can (or did when I tried yonks ago) also play and transcode.

There are various Firefox plugins that can download and convert flash
videos, if your files are on a webserver it ought to be able to do it
for you.  Perhaps even if they're locally loaded files.  Though you'll
probably need to write a webpage to go around them.

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -rsvp
Linux 4.11.11-300.fc26.x86_64 #1 SMP Mon Jul 17 16:32:11 UTC 2017 x86_64

Boilerplate:  All mail to my mailbox is automatically deleted.
There is no point trying to privately email me, I only get to see

Using Windows software is like coating all your handtools with sewage.

Re: Covert a Shockwave Flash File (.swf) to something useful

Tom Horsley-5
You could play them in a virtual machine, and record the
screen :-).

Re: Covert a Shockwave Flash File (.swf) to something useful

Alessio Ciregia
On Aug 12, 2017 21:36, "Tom Horsley" <[hidden email]> wrote:
You could play them in a virtual machine, and record the
screen :-).

Fanciful :-)

Re: Covert a Shockwave Flash File (.swf) to something useful

Robbi Nespu
Instead of setup VM, just open swf via browser and record the screen

On Sun, Aug 13, 2017 at 3:35 AM, Tom Horsley <[hidden email]> wrote:
You could play them in a virtual machine, and record the
screen :-).

Best Regards,
RN

On Sat, Aug 12, 2017 at 3:35 PM, Tom Horsley <[hidden email]> wrote:
> You could play them in a virtual machine, and record the
> screen :-).

Ah, the analog hole! I could just record it on my smartphone :) Ain't
technology grand!

--
Ted Roche
Ted Roche & Associates, LLC
http://www.tedroche.com

Re: Covert a Shockwave Flash File (.swf) to something useful

T.C. Hollingsworth
On Aug 12, 2017 10:13 AM, "Ted Roche" <[hidden email]> wrote:
Ultimately, my goal is to post some SWF files to Youtube.

An acquaintance created a series of screen-capture and audio-narration
video tutorials that produced SWF files, and would now like to post
them to YouTube, which doesn't appear to accept the SWF format.

Often these sorts of Flash files just embed an flv or mp4 video file with a player. If that's the case you could extract the video file with the swfextract utility in the swftools package from rpmfusion.