Quantcast

Boot Fedora 18 from LiveCD ISO file

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
11 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Boot Fedora 18 from LiveCD ISO file

Sergio Belkin-2
Hi Fedora community,

I'm trying to avoid burning LiveCD iso file and boot from it.

I've added an entry to /etc/grub.d/40_custom :

#!/bin/sh
exec tail -n +3 $0
# This file provides an easy way to add custom menu entries.  Simply type the
# menu entries you want to add after this comment.  Be careful not to change
# the 'exec tail' line above.
menuentry "Fedora 18 LiveCD (Fedora-18-x86_64-Live-Desktop.iso)" {
        insmod part_msdos
        insmod lvm
        insmod ext2
        set root='lvm/vg_sebelk-root'
        if [ x$feature_platform_search_hint = xy ]; then
         search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set=root --hint='lvm/vg_sebelk-root'  eacc51f3-68a3-4839-88b0-7c1fc3531739
        else
          search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set=root eacc51f3-68a3-4839-88b0-7c1fc3531739
        fi
        loopback loop "/boot/fedora-isos/Fedora-18-x86_64-Live-Desktop.iso"
        set root=(loop)
        linux (loop)/isolinux/vmlinuz0 root=live:LABEL=Fedora-18-x86_64-Live-Desktop.is ro rd.live.image rd.shell rd.debug
        initrd (loop)/isolinux/initrd0.img

}

EOF

But it fails, it says something like

 /dev/disk/by-label/Fedora-18-x86_64-Live-Desktop.is does not exist
/dev/mapper/live-rw does not exist


 I haven't figured it out how to wirte the root option. Please could you help me?


Thanks in advance! 

--
--
Sergio Belkin  http://www.sergiobelkin.com
Watch More TV http://sebelk.blogspot.com
LPIC-2 Certified - http://www.lpi.org

--
users mailing list
[hidden email]
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
Have a question? Ask away: http://ask.fedoraproject.org
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Boot Fedora 18 from LiveCD ISO file

Joe Zeff-2
On 01/21/2013 03:13 AM, Sergio Belkin wrote:
>
> I'm trying to avoid burning LiveCD iso file and boot from it.

Why?
--
users mailing list
[hidden email]
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
Have a question? Ask away: http://ask.fedoraproject.org
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Boot Fedora 18 from LiveCD ISO file

Edward Martinez
In reply to this post by Sergio Belkin-2
On 1/21/2013 3:13 AM, Sergio Belkin wrote:

> }
>
> EOF
>
> But it fails, it says something like
>
>  /dev/disk/by-label/Fedora-18-x86_64-Live-Desktop.is does not exist
> /dev/mapper/live-rw does not exist
>
>
>  I haven't figured it out how to wirte the root option. Please could
> you help me?
>


     while back I was thinking about giving this method a try, never got
to it, however
      i did find  two websites offering some knowledge:

       https://gist.github.com/2132076
       https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=557426


--
users mailing list
[hidden email]
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
Have a question? Ask away: http://ask.fedoraproject.org
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Boot Fedora 18 from LiveCD ISO file

Rares Aioanei
In reply to this post by Sergio Belkin-2
On Mon, 21 Jan 2013 08:13:37 -0300
Sergio Belkin <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]
>
> But it fails, it says something like
>
>  /dev/disk/by-label/Fedora-18-x86_64-Live-Desktop.is does not exist
Do you want to buy a wovel? :)
> /dev/mapper/live-rw does not exist
>
>
>  I haven't figured it out how to wirte the root option. Please could
> you help me?
>
>
> Thanks in advance!
>



--

Rares Aioanei
--
users mailing list
[hidden email]
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
Have a question? Ask away: http://ask.fedoraproject.org
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Boot Fedora 18 from LiveCD ISO file

Sergio Belkin-2
In reply to this post by Joe Zeff-2
2013/1/21 Joe Zeff <[hidden email]>
On 01/21/2013 03:13 AM, Sergio Belkin wrote:

I'm trying to avoid burning LiveCD iso file and boot from it.

Why?
--


No, the question is Why must we do it?  ;) Why must we use a disc when install from a file is feasible, it's a pity that Fedora lacks this feature

I don't like the network installation, I have no plenty of bandwidth. You can resume a download but resume a network installation is a little harder...

--
--
Sergio Belkin  http://www.sergiobelkin.com
Watch More TV http://sebelk.blogspot.com
LPIC-2 Certified - http://www.lpi.org

--
users mailing list
[hidden email]
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
Have a question? Ask away: http://ask.fedoraproject.org
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Boot Fedora 18 from LiveCD ISO file

Sergio Belkin-2
In reply to this post by Edward Martinez
2013/1/21 Edward M <[hidden email]>
On 1/21/2013 3:13 AM, Sergio Belkin wrote:

}

EOF

But it fails, it says something like

 /dev/disk/by-label/Fedora-18-x86_64-Live-Desktop.is does not exist
/dev/mapper/live-rw does not exist


 I haven't figured it out how to wirte the root option. Please could you help me?



    while back I was thinking about giving this method a try, never got to it, however
     i did find  two websites offering some knowledge:

      https://gist.github.com/2132076
      https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=557426





The first method is not working, in special in F18. Respect to second link I will take a look , but as I was reading rapidly it does mean that Fedora currently lacks this feature, sadly....

--
--
Sergio Belkin  http://www.sergiobelkin.com
Watch More TV http://sebelk.blogspot.com
LPIC-2 Certified - http://www.lpi.org

--
users mailing list
[hidden email]
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
Have a question? Ask away: http://ask.fedoraproject.org
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Boot Fedora 18 from LiveCD ISO file

Joe Zeff-2
In reply to this post by Sergio Belkin-2
On 01/22/2013 05:27 AM, Sergio Belkin wrote:
>
> No, the question is Why must we do it?  ;) Why must we use a disc when
> install from a file is feasible, it's a pity that Fedora lacks this feature

No, the question was "Why?" and that's what I meant because the best way
for us to help you is to know why you're trying to do it.  Just knowing
that you want to install off of an .iso doesn't tell us enough;
depending on what results you want, there may be a better way.  In your
case, however, it looks like you simply want to learn how to do it
because it looks like it should be possible.  OK, fine.  Now we know
that there's not some odd bit of hardware you're trying to work around
or something.  Good luck!
--
users mailing list
[hidden email]
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
Have a question? Ask away: http://ask.fedoraproject.org
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Boot Fedora 18 from LiveCD ISO file

Sergio Belkin-2
2013/1/22 Joe Zeff <[hidden email]>
On 01/22/2013 05:27 AM, Sergio Belkin wrote:

No, the question is Why must we do it?  ;) Why must we use a disc when
install from a file is feasible, it's a pity that Fedora lacks this feature

No, the question was "Why?" and that's what I meant because the best way for us to help you is to know why you're trying to do it.  Just knowing that you want to install off of an .iso doesn't tell us enough; depending on what results you want, there may be a better way.  In your case, however, it looks like you simply want to learn how to do it because it looks like it should be possible.  OK, fine.  Now we know that there's not some odd bit of hardware you're trying to work around or something.  Good luck!

--

Please Joe, if you don't know the answer to my question don't try to be sarcastic, thanks Edward for your useful answer!. I always addressed with respect. And you say "we" who are "we/us"? Why don't limit to say "I/me"? I've said that it could be nice not have to burn a disc to install freshly a new release, it's no so hare-brained what I'm asking. Many distros can do that. Also as it was mentioned in a earlier thread, optical disc are going to be less and less ubiquitous. The another alternatives are:
1) Depend on stable and high bandwidth (do you now that in many countries it's a problem?)
2) Depend on another device (eg usb stick)
3) Something crazy as PXE
4) Download a large DVD iso (and use fedup)

So the idea is that it could be handy can't Fedora users install using a somewhat small iso, boot from it and install the new release.

Further sarcastic answer will be sent do /dev/null

Greetings

--
--
Sergio Belkin  http://www.sergiobelkin.com
Watch More TV http://sebelk.blogspot.com
LPIC-2 Certified - http://www.lpi.org

--
users mailing list
[hidden email]
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
Have a question? Ask away: http://ask.fedoraproject.org
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Boot Fedora 18 from LiveCD ISO file

Joe Zeff-2
On 01/22/2013 03:34 PM, Sergio Belkin wrote:
>
> Please Joe, if you don't know the answer to my question don't try to be
> sarcastic, thanks Edward for your useful answer!. I always addressed
> with respect. And you say "we" who are "we/us"? Why don't limit to say
> "I/me"? I've said that it could be nice not have to burn a disc to
> install freshly a new release, it's no so hare-brained what I'm asking.

I wasn't being sarcastic; I simply felt that it wasn't clear why you
wanted to do this and asked for more info.  And, I never said that it
wasn't a good idea.  In fact you'll note that once I knew your motive I
made it plain that I saw no reason you shouldn't do it, or that it was a
Bad Idea.
--
users mailing list
[hidden email]
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
Have a question? Ask away: http://ask.fedoraproject.org
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Boot Fedora 18 from LiveCD ISO file

Sergio Belkin-2
2013/1/22 Joe Zeff <[hidden email]>
On 01/22/2013 03:34 PM, Sergio Belkin wrote:

Please Joe, if you don't know the answer to my question don't try to be
sarcastic, thanks Edward for your useful answer!. I always addressed
with respect. And you say "we" who are "we/us"? Why don't limit to say
"I/me"? I've said that it could be nice not have to burn a disc to
install freshly a new release, it's no so hare-brained what I'm asking.

I wasn't being sarcastic; I simply felt that it wasn't clear why you wanted to do this and asked for more info.  And, I never said that it wasn't a good idea.  In fact you'll note that once I knew your motive I made it plain that I saw no reason you shouldn't do it, or that it was a Bad Idea.

--
users mailing list
[hidden email]
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
Have a question? Ask away: http://ask.fedoraproject.org

OK, forget it,  it was just  a misunderstanding :)
--
--
Sergio Belkin  http://www.sergiobelkin.com
Watch More TV http://sebelk.blogspot.com
LPIC-2 Certified - http://www.lpi.org

--
users mailing list
[hidden email]
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
Have a question? Ask away: http://ask.fedoraproject.org
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Boot Fedora 18 from LiveCD ISO file

David Boles-2
On 1/22/2013 10:05 PM, Sergio Belkin wrote:

> 2013/1/22 Joe Zeff <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>>
>
>     On 01/22/2013 03:34 PM, Sergio Belkin wrote:
>
>
>         Please Joe, if you don't know the answer to my question don't
>         try to be
>         sarcastic, thanks Edward for your useful answer!. I always addressed
>         with respect. And you say "we" who are "we/us"? Why don't limit
>         to say
>         "I/me"? I've said that it could be nice not have to burn a disc to
>         install freshly a new release, it's no so hare-brained what I'm
>         asking.
>
>
>     I wasn't being sarcastic; I simply felt that it wasn't clear why you
>     wanted to do this and asked for more info.  And, I never said that
>     it wasn't a good idea.  In fact you'll note that once I knew your
>     motive I made it plain that I saw no reason you shouldn't do it, or
>     that it was a Bad Idea.
>
>     --
>     users mailing list
>     [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>
>     To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
>     https://admin.fedoraproject.__org/mailman/listinfo/users
>     <https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users>
>     Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/__Mailing_list_guidelines
>     <http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines>
>     Have a question? Ask away: http://ask.fedoraproject.org
>
>
> OK, forget it,  it was just  a misunderstanding :)



Does this help?

"CDemu"

<http://cdemu.sourceforge.net/>



--

  David
--
users mailing list
[hidden email]
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
Have a question? Ask away: http://ask.fedoraproject.org
Loading...