Any thoughts on the Vivaldi browser?

Fedora List mailing list-2
Hi All,

Any of you guys use the Vivaldi browser?  Any thoughts
on it?

-T

Re: Any thoughts on the Vivaldi browser?

fred smith-5
On Tue, Dec 10, 2019 at 06:31:49PM -0800, ToddAndMargo via users wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Any of you guys use the Vivaldi browser?  Any thoughts
> on it?

I've used it a little. not my main browser, but to the extent I've
used it it seems like a nice browser. YMMV :)

--
---- Fred Smith -- [hidden email] -----------------------------
                        The Lord is like a strong tower.

Re: Any thoughts on the Vivaldi browser?

Temlakos
On 12/10/19 9:31 PM, ToddAndMargo via users wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Any of you guys use the Vivaldi browser?  Any thoughts
> on it?
>
> -T

I switched to the Vivaldi browser and away from Google Chrome, for one
very good reason: Vivaldi does not track you. Google does.

Oddly enough, Vivaldi uses the Google App Store for all extensions. So,
with rare exception, anything that works on Chrome works on Vivaldi.

And now Vivaldi is available, even if in Beta form, on Android devices.

Vivaldi doesn't seem able to recognize itself as the default browser on
Fedora. I always make a setting to open all URLs in Vivaldi. That takes
care of that problem.

Vivaldi has its own repository, as does Google Chrome. So as long as you
enable it, you'll get the latest stable version.

Vivaldi also has its own community of users. It is as much a
cross-platform browser as is Firefox.

The search engine of choice on Vivaldi is not Google, but Bing--the
Microsoft search engine. I always change this to DuckDuckGo. You can in
fact install a variety of search engines.

I recommend Vivaldi without hesitation or qualification as the browser
of choice. (Unless you are a Tor user, in which case you would use Tor's
own browser.)

Temlakos

Re: Any thoughts on the Vivaldi browser?

Patrick O'Callaghan-2
On Wed, 2019-12-11 at 12:26 -0500, Temlakos wrote:

> On 12/10/19 9:31 PM, ToddAndMargo via users wrote:
> > Hi All,
> >
> > Any of you guys use the Vivaldi browser?  Any thoughts
> > on it?
> >
> > -T
>
> I switched to the Vivaldi browser and away from Google Chrome, for one
> very good reason: Vivaldi does not track you. Google does.
>
> Oddly enough, Vivaldi uses the Google App Store for all extensions. So,
> with rare exception, anything that works on Chrome works on Vivaldi.

Presumably it's built on Chromium, as is Brave, another privacy-
focussed browser which can also use some Chrome extensions.

poc

On 2019-12-11 09:53, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:

> On Wed, 2019-12-11 at 12:26 -0500, Temlakos wrote:
>> On 12/10/19 9:31 PM, ToddAndMargo via users wrote:
>>> Hi All,
>>>
>>> Any of you guys use the Vivaldi browser?  Any thoughts
>>> on it?
>>>
>>> -T
>>
>> I switched to the Vivaldi browser and away from Google Chrome, for one
>> very good reason: Vivaldi does not track you. Google does.
>>
>> Oddly enough, Vivaldi uses the Google App Store for all extensions. So,
>> with rare exception, anything that works on Chrome works on Vivaldi.
>
> Presumably it's built on Chromium, as is Brave, another privacy-
> focussed browser which can also use some Chrome extensions.
>
> poc

Thank you for the feedback!

I am finding Firefox to have stopped working correctly on
a lot of appliance based web server and some Web purchasing
portals, so I have been adding Brave and Vivaldi to the
mix.  I tell my customers if one does not work, try another.

Sadly, I think we are seeing Firefox start to die.  Firefox
has great development tools too.

On Fri, 2019-12-13 at 10:42 -0800, ToddAndMargo via users wrote:
> I am finding Firefox to have stopped working correctly on
> a lot of appliance based web server and some Web purchasing
> portals, so I have been adding Brave and Vivaldi to the
> mix.  I tell my customers if one does not work, try another.
>
> Sadly, I think we are seeing Firefox start to die.  Firefox
> has great development tools too.

Probably down to webmastering laziness.  Developing and testing using
only their own web browser, pandering to its quirks, rather than
authoring to correct code.

It was definitely like that it in the past, and I can easily see it
happening again.

I've got a device that can only be accessed with two several years out
of date web browsers (of which I don't have).  And that's absolutely
because they developed for a particular browser, instead of doing the
job properly.  To top it off, this device was sold this year.

--

uname -rsvp
Linux 3.10.0-1062.9.1.el7.x86_64 #1 SMP Fri Dec 6 15:49:49 UTC 2019 x86_64

Boilerplate:  All unexpected mail to my mailbox is automatically deleted.