Any free Ultima-style music?

Jason L Tibbitts III
It looks like I'm going to have to drop the music from the packaged
version of Nazghul because as far as I can tell it has a noncommercial
use restriction.  I wonder if anyone has any leads on some basic free
Ultima-style music that I could suggest as a replacement.  The engine
just uses ogg files, with a simple schema file that defines which songs
get played where, so I can easily replace stuff if I can get
replacements.

Currently there are fifteen songs, all taken from mfiles.co.uk.  I still
need to bounce an email off of mfiles to verify that the nazghul folks
didn't obtain special permission.  Actually I'm having trouble
deciphering the situation, but I figure it's better to pull now so that
we don't ship this stuff in F12.

 - J<

Re: Any free Ultima-style music?

Guido Grazioli

2009/10/19 Jason L Tibbitts III <[hidden email]>
It looks like I'm going to have to drop the music from the packaged
version of Nazghul because as far as I can tell it has a noncommercial
use restriction.  I wonder if anyone has any leads on some basic free
Ultima-style music that I could suggest as a replacement.  The engine
just uses ogg files, with a simple schema file that defines which songs
get played where, so I can easily replace stuff if I can get
replacements.

Currently there are fifteen songs, all taken from mfiles.co.uk.  I still
need to bounce an email off of mfiles to verify that the nazghul folks
didn't obtain special permission.  Actually I'm having trouble
deciphering the situation, but I figure it's better to pull now so that
we don't ship this stuff in F12.

 - J<

Hi, take a look here:
http://sourceforge.net/apps/trac/dungeonhack/browser/trunk/dungeonhack/media/audio/music

A developer told me all their content is GPLd, and they state clearly any contribution
must be copylefted here:
http://dungeonhack.sourceforge.net/DungeonHack:Copyrights

--
Guido Grazioli <[hidden email]>
Via Parri 11 48011 - Alfonsine (RA)

Re: Any free Ultima-style music?

Bruno Wolff III
On Mon, Oct 19, 2009 at 12:37:12 -0500,
  Jason L Tibbitts III <[hidden email]> wrote:
> It looks like I'm going to have to drop the music from the packaged
> version of Nazghul because as far as I can tell it has a noncommercial
> use restriction.  I wonder if anyone has any leads on some basic free
> Ultima-style music that I could suggest as a replacement.  The engine
> just uses ogg files, with a simple schema file that defines which songs
> get played where, so I can easily replace stuff if I can get
> replacements.

Have you listened to Wesnoth's music? I don't know if it is what you are
looking for, but it's free.

> Currently there are fifteen songs, all taken from mfiles.co.uk.  I still
> need to bounce an email off of mfiles to verify that the nazghul folks
> didn't obtain special permission.  Actually I'm having trouble
> deciphering the situation, but I figure it's better to pull now so that
> we don't ship this stuff in F12.

If you block this package let me know so I can pull haxima from the games
spin.

Re: Any free Ultima-style music?

Jason L Tibbitts III

BW> If you block this package let me know so I can pull haxima from the
BW> games spin.

I've no plans to remove the game itself as it works fine without the
music.  (Honestly, I imagine most folks would turn it off anyway after a
few minutes.  There's only so much you can take.)

Technically I could drop a haxima-music-nonfree package into rpmfusion
and cook up a haxima-music-free package with scavenged music so the
folks who want music could have something, but that gets complex (user
configurability?  alternatives for game music?) so it's better to work with
upstream before going to that much trouble.

 - J<