A Linux for the totally maintenance free

12345

A Linux for the totally maintenance free

jd1008
Have a friend who wants to try getting away from windows, which,
in spite of all the AV software the vendor had installed on her
windows 7, it was plagued by viruses that rendered it unusable.

So, since she is not technically savvy, I was thinking of finding a linux
distro that is practically self maintaining, as she has zero tech savvy for
doing things like updates, configurations, fililing abrt reports, .....etc.

Any ideas what linux to use for such a person?

Thanx.

Re: A Linux for the totally maintenance free

Joe Zeff-2
On 10/22/2014 06:11 PM, jd1008 wrote:

> Any ideas what linux to use for such a person?

Isn't that what Ubuntu is for?

On 10/22/2014 07:19 PM, Joe Zeff wrote:
> On 10/22/2014 06:11 PM, jd1008 wrote:
>>
>> Any ideas what linux to use for such a person?
>
> Isn't that what Ubuntu is for?
I do not know as I have only installed it once for someone
but have no idea about it's maintenance requirements.

Re: A Linux for the totally maintenance free

Doug

On 10/22/2014 09:11 PM, jd1008 wrote:

> Have a friend who wants to try getting away from windows, which,
> in spite of all the AV software the vendor had installed on her
> windows 7, it was plagued by viruses that rendered it unusable.
>
> So, since she is not technically savvy, I was thinking of finding a linux
> distro that is practically self maintaining, as she has zero tech
> savvy for
> doing things like updates, configurations, fililing abrt reports,
> .....etc.
>
> Any ideas what linux to use for such a person?
>
> Thanx.
I like PCLInuxOS, since it is a rolling release, and you never have to
reinstall it. The update procedure is pretty simple, and adding
apps via Synaptic is also pretty simple. The KDE desktop is reminiscent
of Windows, and it's possible to work from the menu itself,
or to put icons (widgets?) on the desktop and start programs from them,
just as it is in Windows. The PCLOS Forum is a very
helpful group, and you normally get an answer to a question within 24
hours, sometimes less. I didn't start my Linux career with
PCLOS, so I can't say for certain what a new user from Windows would
say, but I think it is a good system, and I'v been with it for
over 4 years. (And it doesn't, at least not yet, have systemd! Altho a
novice would probably never notice the difference.)

--doug

On 10/22/2014 07:39 PM, Doug wrote:

> On 10/22/2014 09:11 PM, jd1008 wrote:
>> Have a friend who wants to try getting away from windows, which,
>> in spite of all the AV software the vendor had installed on her
>> windows 7, it was plagued by viruses that rendered it unusable.
>>
>> So, since she is not technically savvy, I was thinking of finding a
>> linux
>> distro that is practically self maintaining, as she has zero tech
>> savvy for
>> doing things like updates, configurations, fililing abrt reports,
>> .....etc.
>>
>> Any ideas what linux to use for such a person?
>>
>> Thanx.
> I like PCLInuxOS, since it is a rolling release, and you never have to
> reinstall it. The update procedure is pretty simple, and adding
> apps via Synaptic is also pretty simple. The KDE desktop is
> reminiscent of Windows, and it's possible to work from the menu itself,
> or to put icons (widgets?) on the desktop and start programs from
> them, just as it is in Windows. The PCLOS Forum is a very
> helpful group, and you normally get an answer to a question within 24
> hours, sometimes less. I didn't start my Linux career with
> PCLOS, so I can't say for certain what a new user from Windows would
> say, but I think it is a good system, and I'v been with it for
> over 4 years. (And it doesn't, at least not yet, have systemd! Altho a
> novice would probably never notice the difference.)

Thank you Doug.
I will look into it and take it for a test drive.

> --doug

Re: A Linux for the totally maintenance free

Roger

>>> Any ideas what linux to use for such a person?
>>
>> Isn't that what Ubuntu is for?
> I do not know as I have only installed it once for someone
> but have no idea about it's maintenance requirements.

I recomend Ubuntu 14.04 it is very easy and has a 7 year life span.
It's a one stop install from usb or dvd.
It advises when updates are available and one click installs and
configures those.
As with all Linuxen there is a learning curve in working out how to get
to applications but it's not scary.

Roger

Re: A Linux for the totally maintenance free

Lee-2
On Wed, Oct 22, 2014 at 09:39:17PM -0400, Doug wrote:

> On 10/22/2014 09:11 PM, jd1008 wrote:
> > Have a friend who wants to try getting away from windows, which,
> > in spite of all the AV software the vendor had installed on her
> > windows 7, it was plagued by viruses that rendered it unusable.
> >
> > So, since she is not technically savvy, I was thinking of finding a linux
> > distro that is practically self maintaining, as she has zero tech
> > savvy for
> > doing things like updates, configurations, fililing abrt reports,
> > .....etc.
> >
> > Any ideas what linux to use for such a person?
> >
> > Thanx.
> I like PCLInuxOS, since it is a rolling release, and you never have to
> reinstall it. The update procedure is pretty simple, and adding
> apps via Synaptic is also pretty simple. The KDE desktop is reminiscent
> of Windows, and it's possible to work from the menu itself,
> or to put icons (widgets?) on the desktop and start programs from them,
> just as it is in Windows. The PCLOS Forum is a very
> helpful group, and you normally get an answer to a question within 24
> hours, sometimes less. I didn't start my Linux career with
> PCLOS, so I can't say for certain what a new user from Windows would
> say, but I think it is a good system, and I'v been with it for
> over 4 years. (And it doesn't, at least not yet, have systemd! Altho a
> novice would probably never notice the difference.)

IIRC, when PCLOS was initiated several years ago, their stated purpose was
to be a seamless experience for the LInux novice.  I was happy to hear they
are still going strong and also happy to hear that they are a rolling
release, which ensures an up to date system.  So, I second your
recommendation!

Lee

Re: A Linux for the totally maintenance free

Tim-163
On Wed, 2014-10-22 at 19:11 -0600, jd1008 wrote:
> Any ideas what linux to use for such a person?

Along with other suggestions, consider the support aspect.  If they
can't do it themselves, it's going to be you.  Which distro can you put
up with?  Either working it for yourself, or finding a support forum
that's useful for you.

--
tim@localhost ~]$ uname -rsvp

Linux 3.16.6-200.fc20.i686 #1 SMP Wed Oct 15 13:48:38 UTC 2014 i686

All mail to my mailbox is automatically deleted, there is no point trying
to privately email me, I will only read messages posted to the public lists.

RE: A Linux for the totally maintenance free

J.Witvliet
Instead of replying with one's own favourite distro,
The answer should be (as to be expected), "that depends on ...."

a) Which distro has all the software that she needs?
there might be distro's that are very user friendly install/maintenance, but if essential software is missing and has to be downloaded upstream, tweaked/patched compiled and so on, well...
b) Who is doing the installation? Your friend? You? Someone else?
If the installation procedure require "some skills" to get optimal result instead of point, click, reboot, get-frustrated, I should say that the most simple might not be  the best choice.
c) who is doing support? Automatic updates based on a rolling release or a "long-term-support" version are fine, if you have one around to check it, and help out if it "automatically does not work anymore"
d) hardware support ....
Yeah, linux supports more HW than Microsoft, but I mean, some distro's load such amount of unrequired rubbish, that you run out of cpu/mem before you can do anything.
e) desktop choice. Some distro's offer only a desktop that is far, far from the windows-user experience.
You might up with a working system, with all required SW on it, but if the end user cannot work with it... Even a simple migration from KDE3->KDE4 have resulted in holy wars.
f) application support. I have witness a distro that did not bother to keep up even security related software. When pinging on it, the reply of the maintainer was "No one asked for it."

Someone mentioned Ubuntu. They got certainly a lot of attention. And I have to agree, it's basic installation is as simple to install as, let say windows-7. But there the party end.

Best advise should be, use a spare machine, try and make the decision based on your friends experience, and the quirks you encounter during installation & maintenance

Have a friend who wants to try getting away from windows, which, in spite of all the AV software the vendor had installed on her windows 7, it was plagued by viruses that rendered it unusable.

So, since she is not technically savvy, I was thinking of finding a linux distro that is practically self maintaining, as she has zero tech savvy for doing things like updates, configurations, fililing abrt reports, .....etc.

Any ideas what linux to use for such a person?

Thanx.

Dit bericht kan informatie bevatten die niet voor u is bestemd. Indien u niet de geadresseerde bent of dit bericht abusievelijk aan u is toegezonden, wordt u verzocht dat aan de afzender te melden en het bericht te verwijderen. De Staat aanvaardt geen aansprakelijkheid voor schade, van welke aard ook, die verband houdt met risico's verbonden aan het electronisch verzenden van berichten.

Re: A Linux for the totally maintenance free

Gilboa Davara
On Thu, Oct 23, 2014 at 4:11 AM, jd1008 <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Have a friend who wants to try getting away from windows, which,
> in spite of all the AV software the vendor had installed on her
> windows 7, it was plagued by viruses that rendered it unusable.
>
> So, since she is not technically savvy, I was thinking of finding a linux
> distro that is practically self maintaining, as she has zero tech savvy for
> doing things like updates, configurations, fililing abrt reports, .....etc.
>
> Any ideas what linux to use for such a person?
>
> Thanx.

I'd personally go with CentOS 7.0 (if all the required software is
there) or Ubuntu 14.04 LTS.
CentOS will most likely out-live Windows 7 and maintains a very strict
update policy (you'll have to work hard to break it) and once
installed correctly, will require little administrative attention. On
the down side, CentOS has far less packaged software compared to
Fedora / Debian / Ubuntu (Even w/ EPEL and RPMFusion enabled).
Ubuntu has far more software, is easier to use, but the Ubuntu's LTS
policy is far less strict than CentOS so breakage due to updates is
more common.

- Gilboa

Re: A Linux for the totally maintenance free

Ian Malone-2
On 23 October 2014 02:11, jd1008 <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Have a friend who wants to try getting away from windows, which,
> in spite of all the AV software the vendor had installed on her
> windows 7, it was plagued by viruses that rendered it unusable.
>
> So, since she is not technically savvy, I was thinking of finding a linux
> distro that is practically self maintaining, as she has zero tech savvy for
> doing things like updates, configurations, fililing abrt reports, .....etc.
>
> Any ideas what linux to use for such a person?

Lots of useful suggestions here, but my experience has been that if
the machine is getting plagued by viruses then the user is doing ill
advised things. Switching to Linux might help to a degree in
restricting what they can do, but the more important thing might be
for them to learn to be a bit more cautious. After all switching OS
does almost nothing to improve the protection of things like online
accounts with poor passwords.

--
imalone
http://ibmalone.blogspot.co.uk

Re: A Linux for the totally maintenance free

Tom Horsley-5
On Thu, 23 Oct 2014 11:53:42 +0300
Gilboa Davara wrote:

> I'd personally go with CentOS 7.0 (if all the required software is
> there) or Ubuntu 14.04 LTS.

Or if you find the horror that is the Ubuntu Unity interface too
much to bear, Linux Mint is essentially Ubuntu with a different
UI plugged in by default. (I used to think Unity was the most
horrible interface ever invented, then I had to use Windows 8
and I apologized to Ubuntu :-).

Re: A Linux for the totally maintenance free

Steven Rosenberg
On Thu, Oct 23, 2014 at 1:53 AM, Gilboa Davara <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I'd personally go with CentOS 7.0 (if all the required software is
> there) or Ubuntu 14.04 LTS.
> CentOS will most likely out-live Windows 7 and maintains a very strict
> update policy (you'll have to work hard to break it) and once
> installed correctly, will require little administrative attention. On
> the down side, CentOS has far less packaged software compared to
> Fedora / Debian / Ubuntu (Even w/ EPEL and RPMFusion enabled).
> Ubuntu has far more software, is easier to use, but the Ubuntu's LTS
> policy is far less strict than CentOS so breakage due to updates is
> more common.

I'm also thinking about CentOS in this use case. It's still a bit
early for CentOS 7 in terms of both stability and extra repos, but
if/when I use CentOS in this manner, I will be using the El Repo and
the Nux Dextop repos -- http://li.nux.ro/repos.html. With Nux
especially, you get all the extra applications that CentOS is
generally missing.

--
Steven Rosenberg
http://stevenrosenberg.net/blog

Re: A Linux for the totally maintenance free

Michael Cronenworth
On 10/23/2014 11:30 AM, Steven Rosenberg wrote:
> I'm also thinking about CentOS in this use case. It's still a bit
> early for CentOS 7 in terms of both stability and extra repos, but
> if/when I use CentOS in this manner, I will be using the El Repo and
> the Nux Dextop repos --http://li.nux.ro/repos.html. With Nux
> especially, you get all the extra applications that CentOS is
> generally missing.

The only problem you'll have with CentOS (or RHEL) 7 will be the lack of a
32-bit environment. If you need to run any Win32 or proprietary 32-bit apps
(Skype) you're SOL.

On Thu, Oct 23, 2014 at 9:36 AM, Michael Cronenworth <[hidden email]> wrote:
> The only problem you'll have with CentOS (or RHEL) 7 will be the lack of a
> 32-bit environment. If you need to run any Win32 or proprietary 32-bit apps
> (Skype) you're SOL.

There are i586 Skype packages for CentOS 7 in the Nux repo:
http://li.nux.ro/download/nux/dextop/el7/x86_64/skype-4.2.0.13-1.R.i586.rpm
and http://li.nux.ro/download/nux/dextop/el7/x86_64/skype-4.3.0.37-2.R.i586.rpm

I'm assuming there are 32-bit libraries for RHEL/CentOS, just like in Fedora.

On 10/23/2014 08:25 AM, Tom Horsley wrote:

> On Thu, 23 Oct 2014 11:53:42 +0300
> Gilboa Davara wrote:
>
>> I'd personally go with CentOS 7.0 (if all the required software is
>> there) or Ubuntu 14.04 LTS.
> Or if you find the horror that is the Ubuntu Unity interface too
> much to bear, Linux Mint is essentially Ubuntu with a different
> UI plugged in by default. (I used to think Unity was the most
> horrible interface ever invented, then I had to use Windows 8
> and I apologized to Ubuntu :-).
Have you installed Classic Shell (free) on your Windows 8 system?
Make it look like Win 7 or even XP. Get rid of those big ugly
square things forever!

--doug

On 10/23/2014 11:55 AM, Steven Rosenberg wrote:
> There are i586 Skype packages for CentOS 7 in the Nux repo:
> http://li.nux.ro/download/nux/dextop/el7/x86_64/skype-4.2.0.13-1.R.i586.rpm
> andhttp://li.nux.ro/download/nux/dextop/el7/x86_64/skype-4.3.0.37-2.R.i586.rpm

They provide the 32-bit libraries that Skype requires. This will only help Skype
run. You will have trouble getting other proprietary apps to run so do not use
this as a "well, 32-bit apps will work" excuse.

> I'm assuming there are 32-bit libraries for RHEL/CentOS, just like in Fedora.

There is no 32-bit environment. This is a feature of RHEL 7.

https://access.redhat.com/solutions/509373

Do you need additional proof?

Re: A Linux for the totally maintenance free

Bat Phil
Just to add my tuppence worth.....

If it's purely viruses that are the problem then, as mentioned in
another post, you can't beat a little education on browsing habits,
combined with a damn good AV package.

If there are other reasons for switching (e.g. that Windoze quickly gets
bloated and slow), then I echo some earlier comments about Ubuntu and
the KDE desktop, which is very "windows" like (just download and install
Kubuntu).

The biggest advantage that I find with Ubuntu over many other distros is
that is gives you the option to install 3rd party software as part of
the install (i.e. Flash, mp3 plug-ins, etc.) that most people need if
they use their PC recreationally. The problem seems to be that although
many of these plug-ins are free, they are not GPL and so most distros
won't install them or hold them in their software repositories, leaving
you to hunt them down yourself. Ubuntu, on the other hand, seems to
track where they can be found and will happily install them for you.

I started off with Fedora and it seemed that every day something else
wouldn't work because some plug-in or other was missing. Very quickly, I
just started again with Ubuntu instead and haven't looked back since.

On the downside (but not a major one for me), I find that the custom
install process on Fedora is a lot more intuitive (especially if, like
me, you use a separate home drive and want to retain all your data and
settings when reinstalling). Fedora also gives you a lot more options as
regards packages to install at set-up, whereas Ubuntu just installs a
basic set of apps and leaves you to worry about the rest later. However,
Fedora consequently takes many times longer.

I haven't tried any other distros but many seem to be based on Ubuntu so
in my book you probably can't go wrong with any of them.

Just my opinion, based on my own experience, your mileage may vary.

Phil

On 23/10/14 18:08, Doug wrote:

> On 10/23/2014 08:25 AM, Tom Horsley wrote:
>> On Thu, 23 Oct 2014 11:53:42 +0300
>> Gilboa Davara wrote:
>>
>>> I'd personally go with CentOS 7.0 (if all the required software is
>>> there) or Ubuntu 14.04 LTS.
>> Or if you find the horror that is the Ubuntu Unity interface too
>> much to bear, Linux Mint is essentially Ubuntu with a different
>> UI plugged in by default. (I used to think Unity was the most
>> horrible interface ever invented, then I had to use Windows 8
>> and I apologized to Ubuntu :-).
> Have you installed Classic Shell (free) on your Windows 8 system?
> Make it look like Win 7 or even XP. Get rid of those big ugly
> square things forever!
>
> --doug

Re: A Linux for the totally maintenance free

fred smith-5
On Thu, Oct 23, 2014 at 12:35:58PM -0500, Michael Cronenworth wrote:

> On 10/23/2014 11:55 AM, Steven Rosenberg wrote:
> >There are i586 Skype packages for CentOS 7 in the Nux repo:
> >http://li.nux.ro/download/nux/dextop/el7/x86_64/skype-4.2.0.13-1.R.i586.rpm
> >andhttp://li.nux.ro/download/nux/dextop/el7/x86_64/skype-4.3.0.37-2.R.i586.rpm
>
> They provide the 32-bit libraries that Skype requires. This will
> only help Skype run. You will have trouble getting other proprietary
> apps to run so do not use this as a "well, 32-bit apps will work"
> excuse.
>
> >I'm assuming there are 32-bit libraries for RHEL/CentOS, just like in Fedora.
>
> There is no 32-bit environment. This is a feature of RHEL 7.
>
> https://access.redhat.com/solutions/509373
>
> Do you need additional proof?

but there are (some) 686 libs for those common 32-bit apps that need 'em.
Look at "yum list available | less" then search for "[356]86".

Re: A Linux for the totally maintenance free

Tom Horsley-5
On Thu, 23 Oct 2014 12:35:58 -0500
Michael Cronenworth wrote:

> There is no 32-bit environment. This is a feature of RHEL 7.
>
> https://access.redhat.com/solutions/509373
>
> Do you need additional proof?

That article explicitly says they will continue to support
32 bit libraries, they just aren't shipping a 32 bit kernel.
User level 32 bit apps will continue to run. User level
apps that need some closed source driver that only works in
32 bit kernels will have a problem :-).
12345